How much student loan would you be willing to take on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I posted this same thread in the pre dental section and I figured that I would post it here to get perspective from people who are in the profession.

I am very curious about this so please reply. My question is, how much projected student loan would be too much for you? Or fill in the blank, if I had to spend $_____ on dental school then it would not be worth it and I would go into another profession.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What rbmdmd said. Anything over 300k is unacceptable, especially with variable rate or over 5 percent IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
not more than 300k. even with 300k... you're going be paying back your debt for quite some time. I'm graduating with about 275k which includes undergrad debt and accumulated interest over the past 3.5 years. It's scaring me ****less thinking about the monthly payments.

not more than 300k. even with 300k... you're going be paying back your debt for quite some time. I'm graduating with about 275k which includes undergrad debt and accumulated interest over the past 3.5 years. It's scaring me ****less thinking about the monthly payments.

Longhorn,
Would you be willing to spend extra money to specialize?
-sc

Longhorn,
Would you be willing to spend extra money to specialize?
-sc

That's preference. If I had 300k debt and had my choice of specialty, I would do ortho and OS forsure and possibly pedo depending on if it's a paid stipend. Don't care for endo, perio, or prosth. Right now I'm ranking the GPR/AEGD residencies and I'm torn whether I want to go through with it and let my interest accumulate for another year. I flip flop every day.

That's preference. If I had 300k debt and had my choice of specialty, I would do ortho and OS forsure and possibly pedo depending on if it's a paid stipend. Don't care for endo, perio, or prosth. Right now I'm ranking the GPR/AEGD residencies and I'm torn whether I want to go through with it and let my interest accumulate for another year. I flip flop every day.
150-200k for an ortho program....?