jsydc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
As a 2nd year Canadian student with no intention of doing residency in the US, I'm thinking of writing Step 1 in the summer after second year on the off chance I do an American fellowship at some point.
I know the scores will not affect anything in applying to Canadian residencies, and so I just want put in enough effort to pass. Steps II and III overlap with the Canadian licensing exams anyways, so its only step I that is an inconvenience.

I'm curious how much time people feel they need to put in before they are consistently passing on practice exams. Obviously this is person dependent, but I'm figuring a ballpark of 1-2 weeks as I have pretty good recall already. Is this unreasonable?

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If the NBME basic sciences exam was any indication, I wouldn't need to study at all to pass. I get the impression that most people are the same way. I don't know if board scores affect your candidacy for fellowships or not, but if you're just looking to pass, I'd read through First Aid and do a few hundred practice questions just to be super sure you'll pass. 2 weeks should be more than enough to get that done.

vicinihil

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you've learned during the first two years and read through First aid quickly, I think you have what it takes to pass.

kryptik

10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
2 weeks of first aid and doing some uslme style questions should get you ready to just pass. If you want an organized way of going through first aid you can sign up for DIT, although that will take a little over 2 weeks to finish.

tideleonheart

10+ Year Member
May 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's hugely (!!) variable. Some people do their pre-study test and get a 225... ABOVE average! Those people are definitely the exception, especially considering >50% of students AFTER studying get below the 225 mark.

The only way for you to know how much study is needed for YOU is to take a couple of diagnostic tests. Asking other people is useless since everyone is completely different.

tideleonheart

10+ Year Member
May 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
OP just wants to pass not beat the average
Agreed, but my point is that there are plenty of people who are fresh out of school and couldn't pass the exam. Then, they spend their 4 week study period getting to that 215. And there are a LOT of people who score <220. SDN just has an overabundance of outspoken USMLE superstars.

Rabbit Hole

We're all mad here.
Dec 29, 2009
Wonderland
Status
Medical Student
As a 2nd year Canadian student with no intention of doing residency in the US, I'm thinking of writing Step 1 in the summer after second year on the off chance I do an American fellowship at some point.
I know the scores will not affect anything in applying to Canadian residencies, and so I just want put in enough effort to pass. Steps II and III overlap with the Canadian licensing exams anyways, so its only step I that is an inconvenience.

I'm curious how much time people feel they need to put in before they are consistently passing on practice exams. Obviously this is person dependent, but I'm figuring a ballpark of 1-2 weeks as I have pretty good recall already. Is this unreasonable?
Get through all of FA and do some practice questions in UW along with the reading. You may know the info but you have to practice applying that info by doing questions. It's NOT just recall. After you do this, take 2-3 NBME exams and see how consistent your scores are. If it's well above the passing score (188) then go for it. If you see WIDE fluctuations and still take the exam - you're taking a gamble.

Try getting through all of FA in 10 days (approximately 43pgs/day + UW questions). Take 2 NBME exams and see what your score is. Then go through all of FA again (should take less time and do more UW questions) - take another set of NBME's and then you can decide. Be prepared to put everything else in your life on hold because attempting a marathon session like this.. doesn't sound easy. Goodluck.

lord_jeebus

和魂洋才
15+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2003
GMT+9
Status
Attending Physician
Take an NBME diagnostic test. If you're close to passing, browse First Aid over the week before the test. If you're not, read it a few times and try another diagnostic. If you're still not there, USMLEWorld.