How much time did you give employers before resigning/switching jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zolof

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello my question is for the more experienced doctors out there. How much time, days/weeks, etc. before you informed your current employers of leaving. Has anyone just resigned in matter of days? Have only been at this current job for couple months, but a job I interviewed at prior to this current one just sent me a much better offer, salary and overall case and work load. Obviously don't want to burn any bridges but just curious if any of you have been in that position.

Members don't see this ad.

All but program directors give 2 weeks, they give 30 days.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on where you work. If its a private hospital,usu. 90 days (make sure you read the contract). Federal govt eg. VA jobs - 15 days. If nothing in the contract, its courteous to give at least 30 days notice so they can look for a replacement.

My current employer used to request 30 (though they had no way to enforce this), however they just increased to 60. The only teeth they have is whether they would rehire you again.