How much time did you spend on just PAT, Reading and Quant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MidwestDental

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much time did you spend on just PAT, Reading Comprehension and Quantitative? And I have a question about the Topscore CD!

I've spent most of my time on the usual suspects, Biology, Chem and O. Chem, but my DAT test is coming up soon and I haven't even started studying for the other three.

Did you spend most of your time preparing for science and little for the other three, or about equal amounts? How much do you think one needs to prepare for Reading, PAT and Quantitative? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I spent a while on the PAT and still did below my Top Score/Kap tests. I spent a couple weeks on Quant. I didn't spend anytime on reading...I wouldn't bother if you are pretty good with reading on the computer and your english is pretty good.

Hope this helps.

DesiDentist

I barely studied at all for the PAT. I just did a few practice problems so I knew what to anticipate on the test. I feel like you either get the ablility to do the PAT right away or you don't get it at all. I barely practiced that part and I ended up doing really well. I know others, though, that practiced those like crazy and didnt do as well. It probably really depends on your natural abilities. I would recommend understanding how to do the PATs, but focusing your time on other material.

As far as quantitative is concerned, I reviewed my triginometry, and used some of the methods recomended by others in this forum such as writting down a chart of sin, cos, etc with values during the "tutorial" part of the test. Also know those triangles that always come up in these types of tests such as the 3,4,5 triangle, etc. Other than that, most of the problems are logic-type, and you cant possibly study every type of logic-problem. I felt like I probably over studied for the qauntitative part. After finishing the test I realized the key is to not spend too much time on any problem that you don't get right away, because you will run out of time. Just mark the ones you don't know and go back later.

I did better on the reading section than any other part of the test, and I studied less for it than any other part of the test. I honestly did no preperation what-so-ever for the reading section. All I can recomend is to read alot of books. Also, I didnt use kaplans silly method of marking each paragraph and main-points and all that BS. The test is on a freakin computer . What are you gonna do, break out an overhead marker and mark up the computer screen? It would take way too much time to mark things down on a piece of paper. What worked for me, was to read each question and very quickly scan through the article till I found the answer. Fortunately I read very quickly, so I dunno if this will work for you.

These are just my suggestions, though, so take them with a grain of salt. I'm sure that every single person here is different, and they used different methods to be successful on the DATs. The one thing I think everyone can agree on, though, is that you need to practice alot before you take the test. Only by practicing will you realize how YOU best take the test and what areas you need to focus on when you are studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Midwest,
I studied the basic sciences hard and studies the other 3 categories to break up my boredom. It worked pretty well for me. One thing I would focus on though is Trig. Hadn't seen it since high school, and it took some time to remember. Good luck.

When you think you have studied enough, study some more. It is an important test.

I agree with Rovert. i studied PAT on my own just by watching Kaplan tapes and did ok. your eyes just need to learn how to look at things differently this time. i spent about 2 months to prep for the entire DAT.

Quant - I reviewed a the standard trig functions and a bit of probability as well. I would also recommend jotting down the trig table for sin cos and tan during the tutorial that proceeds the actual DAT.

The hardest thing is just pacing yourself on the quant to get through all the questions. None of the questions are that difficult (the logic ones were the toughest), so it's just getting a sense of the right amount of time you can spend on each. Maybe go thru a Topscore and have that pacesetter feature turned on to get an idea of how fast you should be going.

Reading - I also used the hunt and peck method, but I quickly skimmed thru first to get a few main ideas into my head.

PAT - know the different types of PAT questions, and then practice the ones you have trouble with. The pacing on the PAT is pretty quick as well.

Hope this helps - best of luck to yous...