How much time is required for becoming a neurosurgeon after MCAT Exams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Silent Voice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys! I want to becoming a neurosurgeon at international level so how much time is required in further steps for becoming a neurosurgeons after taking MCAT exams & also tell me further steps after MCAT exams! please help me! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You take the MCAT in second year of medical school, so you need two more years of medical school. Then, after that, one year of general surgery internship and six years of categorical. Then possibly fellowship.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Guys! I want to becoming a neurosurgeon at international level so how much time is required in further steps for becoming a neurosurgeons after taking MCAT exams & also tell me further steps after MCAT exams! please help me! Thank you!

At least 11 years once starting medical school (prelim year and 6 years of residency as mentioned by typhoonegator). You need to take the MCAT no more than 3 years before applying to medical school, but specifically when you take it will depend on when you complete your premedical requirements.

FYI, you're on the Neurology forum. There's a Neurosurgery forum down the list in surgical subspecialties.

Reactions: 1 user
At least 11 years once starting medical school (prelim year and 6 years of residency as mentioned by typhoonegator). You need to take the MCAT no more than 3 years before applying to medical school, but specifically when you take it will depend on when you complete your premedical requirements.

FYI, you're on the Neurology forum. There's a Neurosurgery forum down the list in surgical subspecialties.

This is not accurate you can take the MCAT about 1 year or maybe even slightly less before medical school. You just need to have it in and it can guide where you apply. 3 years would be after about year 1 of undergraduate and no one completes all you need for the MCAT by then. I took the MCAT going into my 4th year of undergraduate and applied that year and got in right after I graduated from college. That is the process.

This is not accurate you can take the MCAT about 1 year or maybe even slightly less before medical school. You just need to have it in and it can guide where you apply. 3 years would be after about year 1 of undergraduate and no one completes all you need for the MCAT by then. I took the MCAT going into my 4th year of undergraduate and applied that year and got in right after I graduated from college. That is the process.

Re-read my post. I said no more than 3 years before you apply, not that you have to take it 3 years ahead.

I have a same question. How much times when I start a business then I become billionaire international Bill Gates?

Reactions: 4 users

Typically you apply and get accepted to medical school after MCAT
Neurosurgery is obviously competitive so during your four years of medical school you have to be in the top of your class
After medical school, neurosurgery residency is 6 to 8 years depending on where you do residency.

If you want to be international, then you have to apply to allopathic schools. Osteopathic physicians are restricted to US and Canada at this time.

If you want to be international, then you have to apply to allopathic schools. Osteopathic physicians are restricted to US and Canada at this time.

Absolutely false, and disappointing (to a non-DO nonetheless) that an attending would just fabricate info s/he didn't have in offering "advice" to those early in this process and that simply perpetuates further bias against his/her own kind.
http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-a.../Pages/international-practice-rights-map.aspx

Absolutely false, and disappointing (to a non-DO nonetheless) that an attending would just fabricate info s/he didn't have in offering "advice" to those early in this process and that simply perpetuates further bias against his/her own kind.
http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-a.../Pages/international-practice-rights-map.aspx
Sigh! Here we go again!

Yes, you figured me all out! I went to four years of an osteopathic medical school just so I could bash on DOs. But thank you for the update, things obviously change. I did not realize that the AOA had this map on their site. I'll be honest, I use the AOA site to log in my CME hours and check the JAOA journal, and that is about it. I am sure once you make it through residency and become an attending in the years to come, things will changes yet again. The combined match is certainly new and trust me, there were individuals vehemently against that thought not too long ago, and I'm talking about DOs, not MDs.

My MCAT exams will be held on the next year 2014. After MCAT, is the next step to get admission in MD in medical college for postgraduate to become a neurosurgeon?

My MCAT exams will be held on the next year 2014. After MCAT, is the next step to get admission in MD in medical college for postgraduate to become a neurosurgeon?
My suspicion is that you already hold a college degree and have considered a career in medicine after the fact? Correct me if I am wrong? Its been a while for me and as I already pointed out above, things change, but you apply for MD and DO schools through centralized services. Those centralized services send a "snap shot" of your overall GPA, MCAT, etc to schools as part of your primary application.

I would check with medical schools to see whenever they begin to accept applications? If I recall correctly, most schools accept applications the summer prior to the intended start year (e.g. Summer 2014 if you want to enter in August 2015). Then the interview cycle begins. I suppose that answers your question? Will your application requirements be completed by then or near that time frame?

I would suggest posting in the neurosurgery forum regarding input (or past posts) on a neurosurgical career.

In general:

1) Undergraduate degree (college of some kind)
2) At least by the summer of the year you intend to apply, take the MCAT
3) Apply to medical school summer/fall using AMCAS--Primary application via AMCAS, secondary via school specific supplements
4) Interview Fall/Winter
5) Acceptance by mid-late Spring
6) Matriculate to med school in the fall (~1 year after you started the application process)
7) 4 years of medical school
8) Length thereafter depends on the specialty. ie- neurosurgery is now uniformly 7 years across the board, plus fellowship (1-2 years, or none at all). I dont think there are anymore 6 year programs.

Now my age is 18. At the age of 33/34, can I become a complete a neurosurgeon or not?

Now my age is 18. At the age of 33/34, can I become a complete a neurosurgeon or not?

If you take the MCAT next year, when you are 19, and have acceptable prerequisites, which typically include a college degree, which you will either Doogie Howser yourself into medical school immediately, or you will require an additional 1-2 years to achieve an undergraduate degree. Then you will matriculate into medical school at 21.

21 + 4 is 25.

At 25 you will finish medical school at the very top of your class, with an excellent step 1 score or COMLEX if we want to be equal opportunity. You will then start your PGY-1 year at Johns Hopkins, again at the age of 25. Neurosurgery residency is 7 years.

25 + 7 is 32.

You will finish your neurosurgery residency (which has it's own forum on this site by the way, so feel free to explore over there given that they know much more about this than we do) at the still tender age of 32. You will then join a private practice spine group in Sacramento, CA, where you will perform ACDFs on the 40-70 private insurance crowd for an additional 30 years.

32+30 is 62.

You will retire at the age of 62 as a full partner in your group, and split time between your golf-course adjacent house in Sacramento and a condo in Santa Fe, where you will spend the winter holidays with your family, which by then will include 2 children and 4 grandchildren. You will drive a Mercedes 600SL from your 40th birthday until you turn 60, updating the model every 4 years. At 60 you will transition to the S-class, because it will be more befitting your age and stature. You will wear exclusively Rolex watches, the first of which you will purchase with your signing bonus, which of course will be acquired at the age of 32.

In summary, 19+1+1+4+7=32. At the age of 32 you "can become a complete a neurosurgeon" as you asked. As stated, you will retire at 62.

Please let me know if we can provide you with any additional information. We are all super eager to help, here on the neurology forum. Again, I would also kindly refer you to the neurosurgery forum, which might be a more pertinent place to ask questions about becoming a neurosurgeon.

Reactions: 9 users
Although if you are considering becoming a neurosurgeon, you will have to get comfortable with telling hospital operators why you are not covering the neurology service at the hospital :p

Okay Thank to all of you for giving guideline me a lot! In future i have some problem i will be discuss here Thanks a lot once again for helping me!