How much time to decide which school to matriculate in???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burs0028

eat. sleep. tPA.
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just interviewed at UHS on the 9th. The interview went great, and I'm optimistically expecting an acceptance letter soon. Does anyone know how much time is allowed for people to accept or decline their acceptance offers? I recently interviewed at the U of MN and they told us to expect a decision in one month and that we would have to accept or decline within 2 weeks of that notice! I haven't heard from CCOM at all, so I'm starting to worry that I might have to accept or decline from UHS school before I even have a chance to interview at CCOM. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think with an interview as early as yours it's pretty much standard policy with osteopathic schools that a deposit is required by Dec. 14. Usually the deposit is non-refundable and can vary by a lot in how much it will be I have heard anywhere from $100-$1000. Don't quote me on that, though.

Check out the AACOM pages for the schools.

http://www.aacom.org/colleges/

They list deposit costs on the information pages for each school.

I'm not sure how a refund works, if available. If I were you, I would try not to panic until you have to make a decision. If you get an acceptance and still haven't heard from CCOM, call them and inquire about the status. Explain your situation. Also, I'd call the school that has accepted you and ask about the possibility of a refund. The schools understand the situation that we are all placed in.

John

I was specifically told by Don Haight, Director of Admissions at TUCOM, not to follow the dates posted by AACOMAS for accpetance deposits. You need to contact each school individually and ask them how much time you have. This is not an odd question and the DO schools are more than willing to tell you what their individual policies are. I have been informed that most schools have a 2 week to 30 window of MAXIMUM time to accept the offer to matriculate from the DATE of acceptance, NOTE this is not always the same as the date you find out you were accepted if you are waiting to find out via a mailed letter.