How much to American residents make per annum???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shreypete

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just curious? is it same for all the specialties?

Members don't see this ad.

starts around $42K/year, I believe, and it moves up a few thousand each year

All residents within a certain hospital system make the same salary year for year. There is a significant difference between programs.

So, in hospital X all residents whether IM, Surgery, Derm, etc. all make the same salary. But in hospital Y the residents will make a different salary than at hospital X.

You can check FREIDA for posted salaries.

But for an intern, it tends to range between around $35k - 45k.

Then you make approximately an extra $1-3k every year.

WHere I am going is in the south central area, "city" of about 40,000 with about 100,000+ in the nearby vacinity. FP. Base salary is $42K, plus $300 month housing stipend, plus $5K year end bonus plus some money for moving and education. So maybe $52-53K by years end.

However food is another $3000 a year in benefits, plus there are some other perks that are worth money.

Free food from your hospital makes a huge difference. As does free parking (seriously, what asshat hospital charges their residents for their cheap labor?). Some FM places in the midwest apparently give houses, or large housing stipends.

You can check FREIDA for posted salaries.

But for an intern, it tends to range between around $35k - 45k.

Then you make approximately an extra $1-3k every year.

Are your sig points like the grey's anatomy contest? ;)

On grey's anatomy. there was a point contest. They got a sparkly pager that gave them the right to be in on any surgery.

It was a joke.... ;) Because Grey's anatomy is soooooo realistic. :D

*snicker* during one of my grad school classes, it unfortunately came out that I was an MD. A classmate sheepishly asked me: "I know that the medicine isn't real, but is the *rest* of it real". I hesitated for a moment and had to answer truthfully: "Sometimes its actually worse".

Hence, tread carefully with dating in house. Solid advice.