General Admissions & OTCAS How much to take out for school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilbunnies

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out how much to take out for my grad plus loan. I have my living situation worked out so I have a rough estimate of how much that will cost as well as I will have 2000 left over from my financial aid but I am lost on how much to borrow for a whole year. Is there a way to figure this out? How did you do it?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't take out the grad plus loan but I did take out another loan from my bank. I took out an additional $30k to cover any rent, books, bills, and emergencies. So each semester I get $15k into my person bank account to cover me for 6 months. I basically calculated how much I was making while I worked full time and added a bit more to cover living expenses.

I'm wondering that too. I didn't this time. I don't think I will. I think I can scrape by the skin of my teeth with what I have saved. Next year, I'll have to. There's no way I can do it without help. I'm just trying to cut back on as much debt as possible. If I don't make it this year, I'll have to get a private loan. Boo.

Members don't see this ad :)
When are we eligible to sign up for the grad plus loan?

Aim for taking out less than 50k for your OT degree. I know that's tight, but I know many who managed to do it.

50k is a good number. Factor in undergrad loans, if applicable. Also, you can also take out a little more and return the surplus within a given time frame.