headbutts like zidane
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2006
the internets
dailywarnews.blogspot.com
Status
Pre-Medical
I want to do this medicine thing. But I'd also like to visit (live?) in South America or Canada in the future. Do doctors typically get any travel time, or is it an all or nothing occupation (as in, if I wanted to spend time out of the country, I'd have to join a practice out of the country)?

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
Rafa said:
I want to do this medicine thing. But I'd also like to visit (live?) in South America or Canada in the future. Do doctors typically get any travel time, or is it an all or nothing occupation (as in, if I wanted to spend time out of the country, I'd have to join a practice out of the country)?
I"ll assume you mean after residency.

It depends on what you contract for. You can ask for the moon, but whether or not you get it depends on the market.

It is not unheard of for physicians to work hard for 2-3 years at a time, perhaps not taking all of their vacation, to take off for some foreign country for a few months at a time.

You could also do locum tenens work and be free to take off whenever you want.

obrn

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Rafa said:
Those that I know well are all in private practices, and they take between 4 and 6 weeks per year, depending on the person and practice. I suppose that if you were given approval by your group you could take a sabbatical, but that would probably involve bringing in (and paying) a traveling doc to cover you during this time, which might be expensive (so some of your leave outside of normal 'vacation time' would probably be without pay). If you work (are employed by) a hospital, then I have no idea what your vacation time would be - but I would still assume at least 4 weeks per year, although perhaps not all at once.

About the Ads

jillibean

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Rafa said:
:confused:

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
obrn said:
Those that I know well are all in private practices, and they take between 4 and 6 weeks per year, depending on the person and practice. I suppose that if you were given approval by your group you could take a sabbatical, but that would probably involve bringing in (and paying) a traveling doc to cover you during this time, which might be expensive (so some of your leave outside of normal 'vacation time' would probably be without pay). If you work (are employed by) a hospital, then I have no idea what your vacation time would be - but I would still assume at least 4 weeks per year, although perhaps not all at once.
4 weeks of vacation a year is actually pretty high for a professional, but not unheard of. The norm is probably more like 3 until you get pretty established. I wouldn't bank on 6 unless that's a maternity leave.

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Law2Doc said:
4 weeks of vacation a year is actually pretty high for a professional, but not unheard of. The norm is probably more like 3 until you get pretty established. I wouldn't bank on 6 unless that's a maternity leave.
All the residencies I've looked at give 4 weeks of vacation a year. Probably not all at once, but still... Can't remember where I saw it... I think it was a link on Med School Ready.

Looque

Bob Loblaw
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
Hyde Park, Chicago
Status
Medical Student
And you can consider the possibility of professional conferences in nice locations. For example, the orthopaedic surgeon for whom I work spent last week in the Bahamas for a week-long conference (and he was only obligated to attend for one of the days).

Depending on the kind of travel you'd like to do, you can also consider Doctors Without Borders. The problem with this, coming from an American medical school which amasses a notoriously large debt, taking that much time away from one's regular medical practice can be fiscally taxing, because obviously you can make no progress on your debt. (This is why not many Americans do Doctors Without Borders when compared with the numbers of Europeans that commit.)

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
mvenus929 said:
All the residencies I've looked at give 4 weeks of vacation a year. Probably not all at once, but still... Can't remember where I saw it... I think it was a link on Med School Ready.
Residency doesn't count because you aren't really getting weekends off. I meant once you are working.

jillibean

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Law2Doc said:
My current job gives 160 vacation hours per year (that is 4 weeks) and it increases 4.5 hours for every year you work there (up to 275 hours/year). I work for a private hospital, so I am sure the MDs get the same (or better).

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
Wellllll my dad is a doctor and before graduating high school I had travelled with my parents to japan, canada, hawaii (and a ton of other us states but that is kind of the neat one) and europe 3 times...oh and mexico and bahamas..so I'd say if you work it out you get travel time. :p

OP
Rafa

Rafa

headbutts like zidane
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2006
the internets
dailywarnews.blogspot.com
Status
Pre-Medical
Hmm. It seems like 4 weeks is the maximum time allotted...and that isn't even for certain.

And I'm hesitant about MSF not just because of the debt, but because you don't really have a say in where you go for that - sort of like with the Peace Corps.

I wish this weren't a profession so tied to living domestically...

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
Rafa said:
Hmm. It seems like 4 weeks is the maximum time allotted...and that isn't even for certain.

And I'm hesitant about MSF not just because of the debt, but because you don't really have a say in where you go for that - sort of like with the Peace Corps.

I wish this weren't a profession so tied to living domestically...
4 weeks is standard, but again, you can negotiate. Some of the Interventional Radiologists I know were being offered up to 6 months a year off and at incredible salaries. It depends on how hot you are and the commodity you provide.

EBI831

legend in the making
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2006
Chi-town royalty
Status
Medical Student
my dad is a doctor and he's been to asia and all of the world basically because he just talks to the universities where he works and takes one year sabbaticals to go work there. maybe you could do this as long as you come back and actually do work. otherwise i know the VA(and i don't mean virginia) system give a heck of a lot of vacation time and sick days yearly.

modelslashactor

Safety not guaranteed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2005
Status

Zoom-Zoom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2005
California
Status
Medical Student
Or this guy

...Watch that and tell me you don't have an answer for all those "What if you don't get into med school" questions.

MrMet31

DWright for MVP
10+ Year Member
May 30, 2006
Shea Stadium
Status
Pre-Medical
You can travel all over the world for Continuing Medical Education (CME) conferences. As a physician, you will need to earn CME credits anyway to maintain your medical licensure, so you can kill two birds with one stone if you like to travel.

About the Ads