How much undergraduate debt are you in?

  • $0

    Votes: 112 50.5%
  • Less than $5K

    Votes: 8 3.6%
  • 6K to 15K

    Votes: 29 13.1%
  • 16K to 25K

    Votes: 28 12.6%
  • 26K+

    Votes: 45 20.3%

  • Total voters
    222

rambo

Slightly Evil
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2003
195
0
Taking Wives
Visit site
Status
How much do you owe? I owe a lot just from my first two years, and that sucks, and I hate it. Basically means I better keep my a$$ in school, or I'm going into repayment.
 

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
959
2
Status
Medical Student
I made money from my undergrad.
 

dsblaha

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2004
283
1
Winston-Salem
Visit site
Status
My wife and I had about 25K combined. However, in 3 years of working we were able to pay hers off completely and mine is now defered as a med student.
 
OP
R

rambo

Slightly Evil
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2003
195
0
Taking Wives
Visit site
Status
How are the rest of you funding this? Nearly 60% are graduating with zero debt.
 

45408

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
16,976
47
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm paying for mine right now, and I'm in my second semester of my junior year. It's all been out of MY pocket, but I suspect Daddy is financing a lot of these collegiate endeavors. I'll be in a few g's of debt, but not too much.
 

morgan

Registered Luser
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
87
0
32
Seattle
Status
university of washington

great school, great price. ooh and great med school too! i really need to thank my parents for moving here from houston. :D

plus my dad's work offers an 8,000 dollar scholarship for the first year of college
 

aumed22

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2004
199
1
Status
Can't beat in-state tuition. Who needs private schools?

morgan said:
university of washington

great school, great price. ooh and great med school too! i really need to thank my parents for moving here from houston. :D

plus my dad's work offers an 8,000 dollar scholarship for the first year of college
 

CanuckRazorback

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2004
440
0
Hog Heaven
Status
rambo said:
How are the rest of you funding this? Nearly 60% are graduating with zero debt.
Athletic scholarships! Got a bachelor's and a master's paid for, can't beat that. I might not be able to walk straight by the time I'm 40, but walking is overrated anyway :rolleyes:
 

MWillie

On the wards
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
766
0
37
Chi Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
All those Zeros are a combination of kind parents and public school tuitions.
 

Punchap

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2003
580
0
Florida
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Wow, I'm going to be owing a crapload of money in two years when I graduate. I'm going to have to become a doctor in the end. It's almost not worth it to apply for scholarships b/c my grant will decrease....****ers.
 

skiracer90

go sox!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2004
309
0
36
Northeast
Status
Public School + 2 Merit Scholarships = the schools pays me 300 dollars for living expenses each semester.

The insane debt will come with med school. Can't wait!!!
 

ftbstep

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2005
15
0
36
north carolina
Status
I received a huge merit scholarship that pays for tuition and gives me roughly a 5,000 dollar stipend to live on....I consider myself very lucky!!!
 

rugirlie

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2003
773
0
36
jersey
Visit site
Status
TheProwler said:
I'm paying for mine right now, and I'm in my second semester of my junior year. It's all been out of MY pocket, but I suspect Daddy is financing a lot of these collegiate endeavors. I'll be in a few g's of debt, but not too much.
I must admit my parents are paying... however, I went to my state school for extremely cheap so its only been about 2400 a year. Med school, of course, is a completely different story. Hello debt!
 

PublicEnemy

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2004
788
1
38
Visit site
Status
i went to a private school for undergrad. i didn't qualify for financial aid, but the last 2 years of school, i had to pay for myself, completely in personal loans. ~$80,000. im already in re-payment and since its not a government loan program, i don't know if i can even get a deferral for med school now...yeah,not sure how this med school thing is going to work out with that.
 

AStudent

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
877
7
Status
I design professional websites during the school year and have my own office (my room) with fax machine, copier, etc..... I make 26k last year :D

Cost of tuition ~25k
Money from tutoring ~$5000

My debt from undergrad: -6k :thumbup:
 

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
43,161
84
Wild west of Mistytown
Status
holy moly ... I hope most of you were there on full scholarships or something. I have to pay a TON in undergrad debt. $26K ain't got NOTHING on me :(
 

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
43,161
84
Wild west of Mistytown
Status
PublicEnemy said:
i went to a private school for undergrad. i didn't qualify for financial aid, but the last 2 years of school, i had to pay for myself, completely in personal loans. ~$80,000. im already in re-payment and since its not a government loan program, i don't know if i can even get a deferral for med school now...yeah,not sure how this med school thing is going to work out with that.
Public ... if you go back to school full time you can get deferred? Is it NJCLASS or PHHEA (or whatever the PA side one is ... )
 

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
1,721
0
always in the last place i look
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
although i personally answered "$0", i'm still a little surprised that so many people chose 0. lots of people at my undergrad (where tuition is only like 6000/yr) have 15-30+ thousand in debt because they paid tuition and had to have a posh apartment to throw parties in. the sad part is, a lot of those people have degrees that won't get them well-compensated jobs (bachelor's in psych, sociology, etc) and they have credit card debt to boot. they'll either end up being broke til they're 45 or filing for bankruptcy. such a shame.
 

45408

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
16,976
47
Status
Resident [Any Field]
superdevil said:
although i personally answered "$0", i'm still a little surprised that so many people chose 0. lots of people at my undergrad (where tuition is only like 6000/yr) have 15-30+ thousand in debt because they paid tuition and had to have a posh apartment to throw parties in. the sad part is, a lot of those people have degrees that won't get them well-compensated jobs (bachelor's in psych, sociology, etc) and they have credit card debt to boot. they'll either end up being broke til they're 45 or filing for bankruptcy. such a shame.
those people aren't internet nerds posting on a pre-med message board ;) :p
 

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
1,721
0
always in the last place i look
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
TheProwler said:
those people aren't internet nerds posting on a pre-med message board ;) :p
internet nerd + zero debt = fine with me :laugh:
 
M

melimi

$0
i would like to thank the BU board of trustees for giving me a free BA
god bless em
 

Assistant

at your service
10+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
92
0
Fort Worth
Status
Attending Physician
I went to a community college for the first two years and they basically paid for that with scholarships. I then transferred to a public university and did as much as possible to work and pay for tuition. I ended up getting a BS and an MS with only 7.5K of debt. All of that has now been paid for since I have been working for the past two years.
 

nick661806

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2004
46
0
Status
Like its been said before, you can't beat state tuition. I go to the University of Maryland and I get alot of money from the school. I pay about 5k a year and I make about 3k during the summer, my parents are nice enough to help me out with the rest.
 

Jason O

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2004
32
0
37
Chicago
Status
I got paid on average $2,000 per semester, ~14k for all 4 years. I got two B.A.s and studied abroad twice. Life is beautiful.

viva state schools!

Good luck with those neo-slavery loan repayments!
 

Zondeare

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
47
0
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
I'm not really surprised at all with the number of people who got out of undergrad without debt. Most of the people that stick around in pre-med are the ones who had full-tuition or almost full tuition scholarships.

I went to a private school and was given full tuition and studying abroad, and I had excess scholarships to cover the rest. I think it's a fairly common trend here.
 

abraxas20

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2004
261
3
Milwaukee, WI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was really lucky that my parents paid for my undergrad. Did grad school on fellowship and assistantship. I have paid for my school since I came back fro pre-reqs, so I owe a little that I have ahd to borrow. IT isn't too bad though.
 

JimmyMallo

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
60
0
43
Austin, TX
Status
mshheaddoc said:
holy moly ... I hope most of you were there on full scholarships or something. I have to pay a TON in undergrad debt. $26K ain't got NOTHING on me :(
I hear ya, I'm 16k in already with 2 years to go :eek:
 

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
798
1
Status
ftbstep said:
I received a huge merit scholarship that pays for tuition and gives me roughly a 5,000 dollar stipend to live on....I consider myself very lucky!!!
Scholarship is for tuition and fees plus 5000? or scholarship is for tuition plus 5000. There is a subtle difference. The fees may eat up the $5000 if they are not included in the scholarship.
 

lightnk102

Wild Type
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2004
531
2
Status
PublicEnemy said:
i went to a private school for undergrad. i didn't qualify for financial aid, but the last 2 years of school, i had to pay for myself, completely in personal loans. ~$80,000. im already in re-payment and since its not a government loan program, i don't know if i can even get a deferral for med school now...yeah,not sure how this med school thing is going to work out with that.
if you took out student loans from a private lender, you can defer them as long as you're enrolled full-time in school. you're not required to make monthly payments (you have to get the school to verify that you're enrolled) but interest will continue to accrue.

my parents covered tuition costs at a private school, but i took out loans to cover my own room and board. it didn't seem like that much at the time (~6k per year, 3k per semester), but multiply it by 4 and it adds up.
 

45408

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
16,976
47
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Zondeare said:
I'm not really surprised at all with the number of people who got out of undergrad without debt. Most of the people that stick around in pre-med are the ones who had full-tuition or almost full tuition scholarships.

I went to a private school and was given full tuition and studying abroad, and I had excess scholarships to cover the rest. I think it's a fairly common trend here.
no, I'm pretty sure that there's just a lot of us in state schools, which don't offer those kinds of scholarships.
 

Geronimo

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
646
0
40
Jonesborough, TN
Status
Wow, so many zero's. Either really smart or really spoiled or really hard working people in this world. I worked an managed to keep my debt low but not zero. Wow!
 

lorelei

SDN Angel
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2004
526
3
St. Louis
Status
Medical Student
I was super lucky; my undergrad school (Case) gave out generous, automatic merit scholarships (they've since tightened up the requirements), so my tuition was paid for based on SATs and GPA. My parents were generous enough to pay for most of my room and board though I took over during the last year and always paid my own expenses.
 

afr0dite01

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
110
0
Status
Private school merit scholarship! Plus high school scholarships and being an RA equals usually more money than needed. Of course I'm paying a bit now because I'm no longer an RA but the 'rents are nice enough to pay for my room this semester :D
 

Will Ferrell

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2004
778
2
Status
I'm going to graduate with over $60K in debt. Financial aid office cut me off half-way in.

But now I don't plan on ever donating a red cent to this piece of s*** school after I graduate, so it works out. :thumbup:
 

KatieOConnor

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2003
156
0
40
Visit site
Status
0 debt for me, thanks to my family. My grandmother nearly had to leave school because her family couldn't pay, and then an anonymous donor swooped down and paid for her remaining time there.

Now that she's older and has money, she's on a mission to pay for other peoples' (me, siblings, cousins to be exact) educations.

So I guess I'm pretty lucky. At my undergrad school, though, there were lots of people with families willing to subsidize them even more than mine did (and 4 years of private school tuition is a lot!) These people had daddy's credit cardS (yes, more than one card paid for by daddy), new luxury cars, etc. It was a little scary!

I would love to be able to pay peoples' tuitions anonymously though. Someone's all stressed out, and then the loan bills stop coming in the mail and they're like, what the %^*!