How much undergraduate debt are you in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much undergraduate debt are you in?

• $0

Votes: 112 50.5%
  • Less than $5K

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • 6K to 15K

Votes: 29 13.1%
  • 16K to 25K

Votes: 28 12.6%
  • 26K+

Votes: 45 20.3%

• Total voters

rambo

Slightly Evil
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much do you owe? I owe a lot just from my first two years, and that sucks, and I hate it. Basically means I better keep my a$$ in school, or I'm going into repayment.

Members don't see this ad.

I made money from my undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My wife and I had about 25K combined. However, in 3 years of working we were able to pay hers off completely and mine is now defered as a med student.

So far, it's around $0. Thank you Army Reserve!

How are the rest of you funding this? Nearly 60% are graduating with zero debt.

I'm paying for mine right now, and I'm in my second semester of my junior year. It's all been out of MY pocket, but I suspect Daddy is financing a lot of these collegiate endeavors. I'll be in a few g's of debt, but not too much.

rambo said:

Stealing from the salvation army

university of washington

great school, great price. ooh and great med school too! i really need to thank my parents for moving here from houston. :D

plus my dad's work offers an 8,000 dollar scholarship for the first year of college

Can't beat in-state tuition. Who needs private schools?

morgan said:
university of washington

great school, great price. ooh and great med school too! i really need to thank my parents for moving here from houston. :D

plus my dad's work offers an 8,000 dollar scholarship for the first year of college

rambo said:

Athletic scholarships! Got a bachelor's and a master's paid for, can't beat that. I might not be able to walk straight by the time I'm 40, but walking is overrated anyway :rolleyes:

All those Zeros are a combination of kind parents and public school tuitions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I'm going to be owing a crapload of money in two years when I graduate. I'm going to have to become a doctor in the end. It's almost not worth it to apply for scholarships b/c my grant will decrease....****ers.

Public School + 2 Merit Scholarships = the schools pays me 300 dollars for living expenses each semester.

The insane debt will come with med school. Can't wait!!!

I received a huge merit scholarship that pays for tuition and gives me roughly a 5,000 dollar stipend to live on....I consider myself very lucky!!!

TheProwler said:
I'm paying for mine right now, and I'm in my second semester of my junior year. It's all been out of MY pocket, but I suspect Daddy is financing a lot of these collegiate endeavors. I'll be in a few g's of debt, but not too much.

I must admit my parents are paying... however, I went to my state school for extremely cheap so its only been about 2400 a year. Med school, of course, is a completely different story. Hello debt!

i went to a private school for undergrad. i didn't qualify for financial aid, but the last 2 years of school, i had to pay for myself, completely in personal loans. ~$80,000. im already in re-payment and since its not a government loan program, i don't know if i can even get a deferral for med school now...yeah,not sure how this med school thing is going to work out with that.

I design professional websites during the school year and have my own office (my room) with fax machine, copier, etc..... I make 26k last year :D

Cost of tuition ~25k
Money from tutoring ~$5000

My debt from undergrad: -6k :thumbup:

holy moly ... I hope most of you were there on full scholarships or something. I have to pay a TON in undergrad debt. $26K ain't got NOTHING on me :(

PublicEnemy said:
i went to a private school for undergrad. i didn't qualify for financial aid, but the last 2 years of school, i had to pay for myself, completely in personal loans. ~$80,000. im already in re-payment and since its not a government loan program, i don't know if i can even get a deferral for med school now...yeah,not sure how this med school thing is going to work out with that.
Public ... if you go back to school full time you can get deferred? Is it NJCLASS or PHHEA (or whatever the PA side one is ... )

although i personally answered "$0", i'm still a little surprised that so many people chose 0. lots of people at my undergrad (where tuition is only like 6000/yr) have 15-30+ thousand in debt because they paid tuition and had to have a posh apartment to throw parties in. the sad part is, a lot of those people have degrees that won't get them well-compensated jobs (bachelor's in psych, sociology, etc) and they have credit card debt to boot. they'll either end up being broke til they're 45 or filing for bankruptcy. such a shame.

superdevil said:
although i personally answered "$0", i'm still a little surprised that so many people chose 0. lots of people at my undergrad (where tuition is only like 6000/yr) have 15-30+ thousand in debt because they paid tuition and had to have a posh apartment to throw parties in. the sad part is, a lot of those people have degrees that won't get them well-compensated jobs (bachelor's in psych, sociology, etc) and they have credit card debt to boot. they'll either end up being broke til they're 45 or filing for bankruptcy. such a shame.
those people aren't internet nerds posting on a pre-med message board ;) :p

TheProwler said:
those people aren't internet nerds posting on a pre-med message board ;) :p
internet nerd + zero debt = fine with me :laugh:

$0
i would like to thank the BU board of trustees for giving me a free BA
god bless em

I went to a community college for the first two years and they basically paid for that with scholarships. I then transferred to a public university and did as much as possible to work and pay for tuition. I ended up getting a BS and an MS with only 7.5K of debt. All of that has now been paid for since I have been working for the past two years.

Like its been said before, you can't beat state tuition. I go to the University of Maryland and I get alot of money from the school. I pay about 5k a year and I make about 3k during the summer, my parents are nice enough to help me out with the rest.

I got paid on average $2,000 per semester, ~14k for all 4 years. I got two B.A.s and studied abroad twice. Life is beautiful.

viva state schools!

Good luck with those neo-slavery loan repayments!

I'm not really surprised at all with the number of people who got out of undergrad without debt. Most of the people that stick around in pre-med are the ones who had full-tuition or almost full tuition scholarships.

I went to a private school and was given full tuition and studying abroad, and I had excess scholarships to cover the rest. I think it's a fairly common trend here.

I was really lucky that my parents paid for my undergrad. Did grad school on fellowship and assistantship. I have paid for my school since I came back fro pre-reqs, so I owe a little that I have ahd to borrow. IT isn't too bad though.

mshheaddoc said:
holy moly ... I hope most of you were there on full scholarships or something. I have to pay a TON in undergrad debt. $26K ain't got NOTHING on me :(

I hear ya, I'm 16k in already with 2 years to go :eek:

rambo said:

National merit scholarship, it's a gravy train :D

ftbstep said:
I received a huge merit scholarship that pays for tuition and gives me roughly a 5,000 dollar stipend to live on....I consider myself very lucky!!!

Scholarship is for tuition and fees plus 5000? or scholarship is for tuition plus 5000. There is a subtle difference. The fees may eat up the $5000 if they are not included in the scholarship.

PublicEnemy said:

if you took out student loans from a private lender, you can defer them as long as you're enrolled full-time in school. you're not required to make monthly payments (you have to get the school to verify that you're enrolled) but interest will continue to accrue.

my parents covered tuition costs at a private school, but i took out loans to cover my own room and board. it didn't seem like that much at the time (~6k per year, 3k per semester), but multiply it by 4 and it adds up.

Zondeare said:
I'm not really surprised at all with the number of people who got out of undergrad without debt. Most of the people that stick around in pre-med are the ones who had full-tuition or almost full tuition scholarships.

I went to a private school and was given full tuition and studying abroad, and I had excess scholarships to cover the rest. I think it's a fairly common trend here.
no, I'm pretty sure that there's just a lot of us in state schools, which don't offer those kinds of scholarships.

30k, it sucks sometimes I wish I was dead....shopping helps :D

Wow, so many zero's. Either really smart or really spoiled or really hard working people in this world. I worked an managed to keep my debt low but not zero. Wow!

I was super lucky; my undergrad school (Case) gave out generous, automatic merit scholarships (they've since tightened up the requirements), so my tuition was paid for based on SATs and GPA. My parents were generous enough to pay for most of my room and board though I took over during the last year and always paid my own expenses.

Private school merit scholarship! Plus high school scholarships and being an RA equals usually more money than needed. Of course I'm paying a bit now because I'm no longer an RA but the 'rents are nice enough to pay for my room this semester :D

I'm going to graduate with over $60K in debt. Financial aid office cut me off half-way in.

But now I don't plan on ever donating a red cent to this piece of s*** school after I graduate, so it works out. :thumbup:

0 debt for me, thanks to my family. My grandmother nearly had to leave school because her family couldn't pay, and then an anonymous donor swooped down and paid for her remaining time there.

Now that she's older and has money, she's on a mission to pay for other peoples' (me, siblings, cousins to be exact) educations.

So I guess I'm pretty lucky. At my undergrad school, though, there were lots of people with families willing to subsidize them even more than mine did (and 4 years of private school tuition is a lot!) These people had daddy's credit cardS (yes, more than one card paid for by daddy), new luxury cars, etc. It was a little scary!

I would love to be able to pay peoples' tuitions anonymously though. Someone's all stressed out, and then the loan bills stop coming in the mail and they're like, what the %^*!