How much unsubsidized loan to borrow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffee4drug

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally I planned to take out $25000 unsub stafford loan every year for 4 years for my public pharmacy school, but after some estimation it seems i will owe about $1million after graduation!!! (Hopefully my calculation was wrong.)

Now, i decide to reduce the amount to $15000 per year. However, I am still worried because I don't know if I am borrowing too much or too little. Can anyone please tell me how much private or unsubsidized loans they are going to borrow a year. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I know what you mean, I also borrowed from the Russian Mob...

and you thought YOUR interest rates were high...

when you have Boris and Igor roughing up your fathers girlfriend, THEN you'll understand...

Members don't see this ad :)
WVUPharm2007 said:
Who the hell are you borrowing from? Slick Don the loan shark?

Lol yeah, serisiosly if you are going to owe that much money you are getting a terrible deal. :eek:

coffee4drug said:
Originally I planned to take out $25000 unsub stafford loan every year for 4 years for my public pharmacy school, but after some estimation it seems i will owe about $1million after graduation!!! (Hopefully my calculation was wrong.)

Now, i decide to reduce the amount to $15000 per year. However, I am still worried because I don't know if I am borrowing too much or too little. Can anyone please tell me how much private or unsubsidized loans they are going to borrow a year. Any input is greatly appreciated!
It depends - I think if you asked 10 different people that question you would get 10 different answers. You need enough to pay tuition and fees, buy your books, and cover your living expenses. Nobody can tell you how much that will be - you need to do some calculations and make a budget of how much it should cost you to live where you are going to school.

coffee4drug said:

I think based on the average rate, if you borrowing 25000k, you can expect to pay a little bit over 50k over 20 years. However the money that you borrow depends on your interest rate, if its fixed or not, and how long do you want the loan to be for. For 15k, expect to pay about 35k for a 20 year span.

coffee4drug said:

Why bother asking. Just borrow as little as possible of unsubsidized loans that will get you through school.

coffee4drug said:

1 million. that is rediculous. seriously. my loans won't even be that much when i graduate in six years from a public school.

Hmmm.... Guess something is wrong with my calculation. When I used the loan repayment estimation on Collegeboard website, it seems that I just haved to pay about $1400 per month over a ten-year period if I borrow $20,000 unsubsidized staff loan for each school year. :oops: Nay, I was never good with financing anyway, but at least now I am much relieved.

coffee4drug said:
Hmmm.... Guess something is wrong with my calculation. When I used the loan repayment estimation on Collegeboard website, it seems that I just haved to pay about $1400 per month over a ten-year period if I borrow $20,000 unsubsidized staff loan for each school year. :oops: Nay, I was never good with financing anyway, but at least now I am much relieved.

haha i was about to say...that is too crazy. anyways don't listen to collegeboard. they lie about everything.

i agree. don't get sucked into the attitude that you can "be a balla" just yet. live like a bum for four more years and thank yourself later.