How much weight do LORs from a DO who went to the school you are also applying to carry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor in da makin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Don't have much insight on this but my hunch is close to nothing unless the adcom reading your file happens to know the letter writer and holds him/her in very high esteem or said letter writer is world renowned OMT pioneer.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So this will be indirectly related and purely hypothetical, but how much weight would a LOR from the dean of admissions carry? Or is this conflict of interest?

They help.

Do ya'll typically see DO letters addressed with the school they graduated from? If they're not addressed like that do you ever look it up or remember if that DO graduated from your school?

Rarely does any doctor state where they went to med school. Doctors also rarely write TO schools because applciants are applying to multiple schools.

We do recognize names from our past!

Do ya'll typically see DO letters addressed with the school they graduated from? If they're not addressed like that do you ever look it up or remember if that DO graduated from your school?

This one doctor I shadowed finally decided to write me a letter. It was for one school that I hadn't finished the secondary for yet. Oddly enough, he went to that school many years ago. Also, it is a school in my state which is regionally biased (based on reading other posts on SDN). It was one of my long shot schools but I hope I have somewhat of a shot now

Seeing as I have yet to get an II from KCOM I'm going to say no

I also have a letter from an alum. So will the committee know that he is an alum? Or should I mention that in my secondary?

One should be careful when he or she decides to name drop. It can be done very artfully but takes skill to not come across as sounding like you are saying "pick me because I know XYZ who attended your school 123 years ago." There is always a chance that the physician will be remembered as someone no one liked as well.

For one school's secondary I did mention that the DO I worked with as a scribe happens to be an alumn. Shes also one of my letter writers so Im hoping someone in that committee remembers her fondly:xf:.