How much weight does this post-bacc GPA carry with DO schools...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So AACOMAS calculates my sGPA to be 3.54 and my cGPA to be 3.34. I could see these both dropping by .1-.15 if a couple retakes aren't counted...leaving me about 3.4 sGPA and 3.2 cGPA.

I'm 7 years out, non-trad with great ec's, and have done a post-bacc of 36 credits including 7/8 pre-reqs and have maintained a GPA of 3.9. How much weight will this post-bacc GPA carry with DO programs? Will it significantly outweigh the cGPA?

Basically, I'm stressing about my June 21st MCAT and want to know how much "leeway" I have here....My practices are averaging 28-29 with a few weeks to go, though I'm hoping to bump it up to 29-31 by then.

But let's say I don't and I even do signifcantly worse....will a 3.4sgpa/3.2cgpa/3.9 post-bacc/solid ec's and a 26 MCAT think get some acceptances?

Members don't see this ad.

Hypotheticals aren't going to do you any good. Don't think of your gpa as a bail out for the mcat. Try your best, I'm sure you will do fine. I know many people that got in to school after taking the mcat 4+ times. Study, do your best and then go from there. Don't waste your time and energy on a test you haven't taken (and one that you can always retake)

your 3.9 postbac should be included with the undergrad gpa. when aacomas verifies your app, download it and look at the overall cgpa and sgpa.

shoot for the 28+ and you'll have plenty of options. 26 will likely get you in somewhere but it'll be a newer school.

Members don't see this ad :)
your 3.9 postbac should be included with the undergrad gpa. when aacomas verifies your app, download it and look at the overall cgpa and sgpa.

shoot for the 28+ and you'll have plenty of options. 26 will likely get you in somewhere but it'll be a newer school.

Yeah, the 3.9 is included in my overall GPA listed above. It's just the fact that I'm 7 years out, non-trad, and have a great body of reccent work...my poor grades were from like fresh/soph year 2002-2004...I was just hoping a post bacc would outweigh some of that.

Thanks for the input though.

Yeah, the 3.9 is included in my overall GPA listed above. It's just the fact that I'm 7 years out, non-trad, and have a great body of reccent work...my poor grades were from like fresh/soph year 2002-2004...I was just hoping a post bacc would outweigh some of that.

Thanks for the input though.
DO schools typically have more non trads. I think most DO schools are into "reinvention" story. Don't worry about your GPA now. Focus on that mcat and kill that thing. Rest should be fine

So AACOMAS calculates my sGPA to be 3.54 and my cGPA to be 3.34. I could see these both dropping by .1-.15 if a couple retakes aren't counted...leaving me about 3.4 sGPA and 3.2 cGPA.

I'm 7 years out, non-trad with great ec's, and have done a post-bacc of 36 credits including 7/8 pre-reqs and have maintained a GPA of 3.9. How much weight will this post-bacc GPA carry with DO programs? Will it significantly outweigh the cGPA?

Basically, I'm stressing about my June 21st MCAT and want to know how much "leeway" I have here....My practices are averaging 28-29 with a few weeks to go, though I'm hoping to bump it up to 29-31 by then.

But let's say I don't and I even do signifcantly worse....will a 3.4sgpa/3.2cgpa/3.9 post-bacc/solid ec's and a 26 MCAT think get some acceptances?
It'll definitely be considered more than your previous work. I speak from experience, but also it's not a reason for you to think it's in the bag.

Reactions: 1 user
A LOT and yes.

Reactions: 1 user