hannahfox

Removed
Feb 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I am about to start graduate school for a PhD. I am thinking about the future and may end up applying to medical school after I get a PhD.

Situation is, I was accepted to a nice PhD program but it is in Connecticut.

If I go to that program I will end up losing my Florida residency. Clearly, because of the volume and quality of the Florida medical schools, it would be good to be a Florida resident when applying to medical school there just like being a Cali resident is good when applying to Cali med schools.

Should being a Florida resident be a make or break decision or is it really not that big of a deal when applying (especially since I have lived here in Florida for 23 years and will only be leaving for 5-6 years).

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
Are you sure you'll lose your residency if you are absent for educational purposes?

In my state, provided you maintain your state drivers license, voters registration, car plates and have a parent still resident in the home state, you remain a state resident when you return without a waiting period.

I'd choose to remain a Florida resident if at all possible, creating a paperwork trail as outlined above, considering the very favorable number of (cheaper) state schools they have.

hannahfox

Removed
Feb 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Are you sure you'll lose your residency if you are absent for educational purposes?

In my state, provided you maintain your state drivers license, voters registration, car plates and have a parent still resident in the home state, you remain a state resident when you return without a waiting period.

I'd choose to remain a Florida resident if at all possible, creating a paperwork trail as outlined above, considering the very favorable number of (cheaper) state schools they have.
Yeah, that's what I figured.

Undergrads don't get to change residency, but I assume it's different for PhD students as they are actually employees of the university (not supported by parents). I know one school I was accepted to (University of Florida) said out of state PhD students had to become Florida residents to cut down their cost w/ respect to tuition waivers.