How much will 4 B's in pre-med courses hurt my chances of getting accepted into medical school?

Dec 6, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I am a California community college student studying chemistry. As of now, I have received a B in Calculus 1/2 and Physics A/B. My concern is that these classes were all taken at a community college, and I'm worried that it will reflect badly on my abilities because they are viewed as less rigorous than if they had been taken at a university. My community college tends to have hard math classes - I have a friend who took Calc I at Berkeley and then again here and she said that it was harder at the community college level (similar level of rigor but we covered a few more topics here + had no grade curving). My prerequisite grades are as follows:

Calc 1 - B
Calc 2 - B
Calc 3 - A
Statistics - A
Physics 1 - B
Physics 2 - B
GenChem 1 - A
GenChem 2 - A
Ochem 1 - A
Bio series/Physics 3/Ochem 2 - not yet taken

I have all A's in the non-STEM courses I've taken. Also, does anyone know if science courses that are not prerequisites for med school are counted towards your science GPA? Dumb question, I know. When I transfer I will take only chemistry and bio classes and I'm wondering if this will be accounted for in my science GPA. I'm most upset because all of my B's were 87% or higher, but I have no way of showing this since our grading system does not allow for a B+ to show on a transcript. I'm kicking myself for taking 17-20 units a semester and killing my GPA in the process, and I want to know if it's possible that even the more competitive medical schools like those in California would be able to overlook these grades if they can be made up for with extracurriculars and A's from here on out. Can anyone speak from experience on this?

May 15, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
Homie, I got 4 B's in "pre-medical" courses, and you can see how well my cycle has gone. It will not kill your chances of getting in! Do well on the MCAT and further coursework, and you'll be sitting pretty with multiple acceptances as well. :)

Regarding the community college aspect, I'm unsure. However, I've seen people on this forum with B's from community colleges that do exceptionally well in their cycles. Don't fret!

Lastly, yes, science courses that are not pre-requisites for medical school are counted in your BCPM GPA.

Reactions: 1 users
Dec 6, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Homie, I got 4 B's in "pre-medical" courses, and you can see how well my cycle has gone. It will not kill your chances of getting in! Do well on the MCAT and further coursework, and you'll be sitting pretty with multiple acceptances as well. :)

Regarding the community college aspect, I'm unsure. However, I've seen people on this forum with B's from community colleges that do exceptionally well in their cycles. Don't fret!

Lastly, yes, science courses that are not pre-requisites for medical school are counted in your BCPM GPA.

That's very reassuring! I'm so glad to hear I have the chance to bring my GPA up with other science classes. Congratulations on being successful in your path - I hope I can follow in your footsteps someday. Thank you for the advice :giggle:

About the Ads

Cornfed101

2+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Your sGPA is all biology, chemistry, physics, and math classes regardless of if they are prerequisites or not. You are fine with a few Bs.

Also, your ECs don’t “make up” for your GPA. They are viewed separately and both have to be good. Just course correct and do a little better and you are golden. I basically had all Bs throughout undergrad and I’m doing just fine this cycle (not as good as @Smolpuppo21, but I digress)

Reactions: 2 users

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I am a California community college student studying chemistry. As of now, I have received a B in Calculus 1/2 and Physics A/B. My concern is that these classes were all taken at a community college, and I'm worried that it will reflect badly on my abilities because they are viewed as less rigorous than if they had been taken at a university. My community college tends to have hard math classes - I have a friend who took Calc I at Berkeley and then again here and she said that it was harder at the community college level (similar level of rigor but we covered a few more topics here + had no grade curving). My prerequisite grades are as follows:

Calc 1 - B
Calc 2 - B
Calc 3 - A
Statistics - A
Physics 1 - B
Physics 2 - B
GenChem 1 - A
GenChem 2 - A
Ochem 1 - A
Bio series/Physics 3/Ochem 2 - not yet taken

I have all A's in the non-STEM courses I've taken. Also, does anyone know if science courses that are not prerequisites for med school are counted towards your science GPA? Dumb question, I know. When I transfer I will take only chemistry and bio classes and I'm wondering if this will be accounted for in my science GPA. I'm most upset because all of my B's were 87% or higher, but I have no way of showing this since our grading system does not allow for a B+ to show on a transcript. I'm kicking myself for taking 17-20 units a semester and killing my GPA in the process, and I want to know if it's possible that even the more competitive medical schools like those in California would be able to overlook these grades if they can be made up for with extracurriculars and A's from here on out. Can anyone speak from experience on this?
No one will care. It's your entire transcript that counts

Reactions: 2 users
Jul 31, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I failed a class and got 3 Cs.

Relax.

It’s all about your trend and overall performance in academics and extracurriculars.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.