How much will a C+ in intro Bio hurt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariambaby3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did pretty poorly in intro bio and intro bio labs in my freshmen year. I received two B's for the two semester of labs and a B and then a C+ for the two semesters of lecture.

I also got a B in 2nd semester calc and B in second semester Physics.

But all other BCPM classes I have an A in.

How much will that C+ hurt me in the application process?

Could it, in any way, be overlooked with a 38 on the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

you got a 38 on the MCAT and a C+ in intro bio? Sure, it's going to be overlooked by the MCAT score. Did you already get a 38 or are you just "thinking" you will get a 38?

I took it this January and received a 38R on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're fine. If anyone tells you otherwise proceed to stick your 38R down their throat :).

I took it this January and received a 38R on it.

Owned? Screw the intro bio grade, your practically in the 99th percentile for the MCAT

Ps: could you tell us how you prepared?

How'd u prepare for the MCAT?? That's awesome

No one will care about one C+ grade when you have a 38R.. let's be real. As long as your sGPA > 3.5 and you have that score you are completely golden.

38R isn't even that great. I would retake the classes you didn't get A's in. Then you might have a chance with DO. Things are getting really competitive, trust me.

38R isn't even that great. I would retake the classes you didn't get A's in. Then you might have a chance with DO. Things are getting really competitive, trust me.
seriously? way to just sink all the reassurance of the thread in one post. no really, congrats. :cool:

Thanks guys! That's truly re-assuring.

I pretty much followed SN2ed's advice on the books:

TBR: Orgo, Gen Chem, Physics and Bio passages
EK: Verbal and bio content review.

I studied for 6 weeks straight, full-time, from wake to sleep. Our school has an abnormally long winter break that makes this possible. 6 days a week of straight studying and Sunday light studying - maybe going over some iffy concepts and watching some Khan Academy videos (they're great!).

I purchased all, but didnt get to complete all, the aamc FL's. I found them to be more or less close to the real one that I took. Although a lot of people will tell you that the early aamc FL's (3,4,5) are easier than the real one, I personally think that the "easiness" of a test is simply a function of which specific section it covers. If a test asks an easy question on Newtonian mechanics, and you're not too solid on that topic, then it'll be hard to you, no matter how "easy" the question is.

So I urge everyone, if you have the time, to go through all of the practice FL's on their website.

Yeah man you're fine. I got a C- in Intro to Bio, granted it was freshmen year, but I never even retook it or anything. Got low 30s on mcat and got into MD schools

Trust you? You're the same person who posted that a D.N.P is better than an M.D because of some video you watched. Seriously.

Last edited:
Those scores are awesome! Congratulations! As long as your GPA holds up you should be well on your way.

You're fine but it will probably come up in an interview. Not really to kill you on a C+, but just to see how you handle the question. So when they ask, just use confidence and modesty to explain what happened. Take the blame, but have an explanation for what happened.

One C+ won't sink you. Don't pretend the MCAT will make up for it though. Your GPA and MCAT are separate entities. When asked to explain it on secondaries, which you will be asked to do, you can't say "well I got a C+ but my 38 makes up for that. Shove it" like people are suggesting here. Just take responsibility for it and you will be fine. GL

I always get this feeling that people lie about their MCAT scores.

fkwb39.png
Photoshopped :laugh: