How much will an upward trend in Gpa help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshwake

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess I have a two part question. First, I know that schools look for improvement etc in gpa but I am wondering if I am out of luck: 3.22 gpa / 3.0 sgpa. my last 2 1/2 years (74 credit hours) I have been getting 3.60 gpa / 3.48 sgpa. What killed me is my father got cancer (everything is fine now :) ) and I did not do well the semester he was undergoing treatment (D in Ochem, retook and got a B) After this he threw some blood clots and was back in the hospital and so I took the next semester off. Since all that I have done well these past 2 1/2 years, Do you think schools will cut me much of a break? Is this something I should touch on quickly in my personal statement?

Also, what DAT scores do you think I need in order to have a realistic chance? I feel I am capable of 20/20/22 (ts/aa/pa) and I would be happy if I got that, do you think in my situation I would need to be much higher? I know, I should not limit myself etc. I am just trying to be as realistic about this as possible. I am in UT so no in state dental schools for me :(. Any advice etc is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

if you can get those DAT scores you'll be fine. I had the same issue. after my 1st semester sophomore year my cum GPA fell to 3.0 and my science to 2.9. But I worked hard and got my overall up to about 3.5 and my science up to about 3.4. It took a couple semesters of 4.0's to get it..but it can be done. If you can keep building on that gpa and increasing it..and get some decent DATs you're money.

well, I am done with school so the 3.22/3.0 is what I have all averaged out. Sounds like you worked your butt off. So with a 3.22/3.0 and about 20/20/22 you think i have a fair chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
yea i think so...i mean if you can't increase ur gpa at all...i think those dat scores should be ok..others might disagree but I think you'll be fine. Yes DAT scores are on the rise..but a 20 is still a mighty fine score. I say..if you can get that DAT score...get some good experience, nice LORs..i think you should be able to get in...just apply smart..and apply early.

I am in UT so no in state dental schools for me :(. Any advice etc is appreciated, thanks in advance.
I wouldn't worry too much about your gpa.

Being from Utah will help you stand out in the crowd of dental applicants.

*hehe*

I guess I have a two part question. First, I know that schools look for improvement etc in gpa but I am wondering if I am out of luck: 3.22 gpa / 3.0 sgpa. my last 2 1/2 years (74 credit hours) I have been getting 3.60 gpa / 3.48 sgpa. What killed me is my father got cancer (everything is fine now :) ) and I did not do well the semester he was undergoing treatment (D in Ochem, retook and got a B) After this he threw some blood clots and was back in the hospital and so I took the next semester off. Since all that I have done well these past 2 1/2 years, Do you think schools will cut me much of a break? Is this something I should touch on quickly in my personal statement?

Also, what DAT scores do you think I need in order to have a realistic chance? I feel I am capable of 20/20/22 (ts/aa/pa) and I would be happy if I got that, do you think in my situation I would need to be much higher? I know, I should not limit myself etc. I am just trying to be as realistic about this as possible. I am in UT so no in state dental schools for me :(. Any advice etc is appreciated, thanks in advance.

I think you are fine. Just explain yourself in your personal statement or in the AADSAS portion for extra info. I think you should be fine with an 18 but of course a 24 would always be better. Try your hardest!!!!

I wouldn't worry too much about your gpa.

Being from Utah will help you stand out in the crowd of dental applicants.

*hehe*

haha more like get along with the 6 other applicants there from Utah ;)

I had a similar situation with the GPA. First half of college i was around a 2.9/3.0. Then got motivated and averaged 3.76 on out. The upward trend is important because you are doing better than you ever had with harder classwork than earlier in your career. Some schools look at the overall and dont' care about trends but if they treat you like a statistic and not a person who is applying to their program, then you don't want to go there anyway. Mention your personal difficulty but don't make excuses. GPA is proof of academic ability and proficiency. Make sure that yours, regardless of cumulative value, proves a high level of both of those.