How much will having a unique major (Clinical Psy) help me? Need advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

escape3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I'm hoping to get some opinions on whether or not to switch majors. I currently have a unique major that's not offered at many schools (clinical psych) but am not sure if I want to continue or switch to a general psych major.

The reason I chose the major is because it has a great clinical + research internship opportunity for working in a medical setting during senior year. Students get a lot of responsibility and patient contact (through phlebotomy, giving questionnaires/interviews, recruiting/scheduling patients, seeing them alone, running group therapy). I also thought the general psych major is too common and wanted to stand out a bit.

But the thing is that it's very time consuming (up to 15 hours a week + commute). I'd also be taking MCAT classes during senior year. I'm not sure if I should devote more time to bringing my GPA up - overall GPA is 3.5 but my sGPA is low (3.05).

All the seniors who graduated with the major say the internship was an amazing experience and are offered full time positions after graduating. I think I would be passionate about it and have a lot to talk about in my apps/interviews, but now I'm wondering if I can even expect any interviews if I continue with a low GPA trend…

The general psych major would allow for a more flexible schedule but I'd be giving up the opportunity for the internship (which is nice because the school arranges everything for you).

I'm looking for some opinions on how to proceed, I appreciate any suggestions!

Medical schools like to see people who are passionate about what they are studying. So if you like your major then stick with it. If your GPA is low, can't you just work harder from now on?

You could study underwater basket weaving...

as long as you get good grades and a decent MCAT.... and show the ECs med schools are palpating for.... you're good to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the above but if the natural sciences are not your strong suit, you may be at a profound disadvantage in the admissions process.... A science gpa of <3.2 is low and that will hurt you. Consider whether medicine is the right path for you or if you would be better off in a clinical psych doctoral program or a similar career.

I've done a lot of thinking about this and definitely considered it, but I'm still really passionate about wanting to become a physician. My top goal is still to go to med school and not a clinical psych program.

Considering my goals, should I choose the major that will give me the most time to dedicate to science classes and MCAT? I'm still interested in the general psych major and there's not too much difference between the two majors besides the internship.

The two most important aspects of the medical school application are gpa and MCAT. If you meet a certain floor, then the rest of the application is considered with extra credit given for higher gpa and MCAT above the floor as well as consideration of life experiences, attitude and motivation. With more than twice as many applicants as seats, you need to be well above average to have any chance at being admitted.

I've done a lot of thinking about this and definitely considered it, but I'm still really passionate about wanting to become a physician. My top goal is still to go to med school and not a clinical psych program.

Considering my goals, should I choose the major that will give me the most time to dedicate to science classes and MCAT? I'm still interested in the general psych major and there's not too much difference between the two majors besides the internship.

Have you considered a gap year?

I mean if it's really that difficult for you to handle your major and med school app at once, then don't. Do well in your major and once you graduate begin studying for the MCAT. If you got some Cs or lower in pre-reqs you could retake those.

I was a psych major and it was kind of boring after the first two years, because I basically completed it by my junior year, and the last two years I took all my pre-reqs and a bunch of upper level bio classes. So you could do that. You could switch to the gen. psych major and then make up for your low sGPA by destroying the rest of your pre-reqs and some upper level bio courses.

I was a psych major and it was kind of boring after the first two years, because I basically completed it by my junior year, and the last two years I took all my pre-reqs and a bunch of upper level bio classes. So you could do that. You could switch to the gen. psych major and then make up for your low sGPA by destroying the rest of your pre-reqs and some upper level bio courses.

This is exactly what I did, except with biochem. It works and it'll convince people that you're not as dumb as the rest of the psych majors (you know it's true... social psychology anyone?)

Do what you want without worrying about whether it's unique or not...If you don't like what you're doing then you're not going to do well in it. It seems like a lot of bio people are in some sort of psych program too (major/minor). At least at my school. Your particular program does sound a bit different, but is it explained on your transcripts? Will you talk about it in your personal statement? How are the med schools going to know? And keep in mind that most premeds do internships and clinical volunteering so that in itself is not unique.

No offense, but remember ...

33uetkj.jpg

and

a picture is worth a thousand words.

I've never heard of a clinical psych undergraduate program. It sounds pretty innovative.

I ran into several people majoring in clinical psych on the interview trail. I mean it might not be a household major like bio, but I wouldn't really consider it to be "unique."

I ran into several people majoring in clinical psych on the interview trail. I mean it might not be a household major like bio, but I wouldn't really consider it to be "unique."

I agree, I don't really think there such think as a unique major. Just saying, as a psych major, it sounds pretty cool.

This is exactly what I did, except with biochem. It works and it'll convince people that you're not as dumb as the rest of the psych majors (you know it's true... social psychology anyone?)

Hey I was a psych major in undergrad! :mad:

But I agree social psych = joke. :laugh: It was interesting though I found that for each one of my interviews the interviewers really liked talking about my major. Plus, bio majors are a dime a dozen so anything that you can do to set yourself apart from the rest can always help during the hectic application process.