Medical How much will my absence of shadowing affect my application?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I was wondering if the fact that I haven't been able to shadow will affect my chances of getting into medical school. I have been trying to find a doctor to shadow for about four months and I have either been outright declined or left with no definitive response. For context:

I have about 230 hours as a medical scribe, though I had to leave unexpectedly, and most of the docs where I worked didn't allow shadowing.
I worked as a research assistant for ~ 100 hours in civil engineering
I have been a TA for a couple of math classes that totaled ~ 600 hours
I have worked as an ER volunteer for 100 hours, though, again, after asking docs if I could shadow most cited HIPAA concerns.
GPA: 3.79
MCAT: 520
I am currently doing some gap years to sure up my application by starting nonclinical volunteering, though I currently don't have any, and I will most likely be taking a job offer as a data analyst for a clinical research project.

I am trying to understand how much I would be hurt if I never find a physician to shadow. Thanks for any help you can give!
Scribing IS shadowing!

Members don't see this ad.

So then let's address the issue of your scribing, given your original post and reaction: why didn't you feel that this experience was shadowing a physician? Why did you have to leave "unexpectedly"? Are you highly confident that the doctors you scribed for can provide a solid positive letter of evaluation?

Also what did you do as an ER volunteer?

I had to leave my scribing job because the rent at the area I was staying in rose to a point much higher than a scribe could afford, so I was forced to move back home (a couple of towns over making the commute unreasonable). It was kind of devastating as I thought I was going to get a lot of more experience in medicine, but I just couldn't find a new place to live that was affordable. Either way, I thought that shadowing was different in more of a checking a box kind of way. I thought because my job title was "scribe" as opposed to "shadow" medical schools would treat it differently. As far as recommendations go I doubt I could get one from the doctors I worked with. Most I only saw once (I worked at an ER in a big city), and we were usually so swamped that we hardly interacted outside of purely work-based talk.

As far as ER volunteering my job was mostly helping patients find their way in the ER and restocking. I feel like it is less "clinical" than I wanted it to be, so I tried to supplement it with scribing.

I feel that I have solid letters of recommendation outside of that from various professors and bosses that I have had throughout the years, but should I focus on getting a recommendation from a doctor?

As a side note is there anything I should really focus on during my gap years to make myself more competitive?

Status
Not open for further replies.