How much will the debt screw me over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imable24

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got off the waitlisted at a mid ranked(40) school and my financial aid package is about $30K more in loans than my unranked state school.

I wasn't very keen about going to my state school, but I'm worried about the extra debt I'll take on about 120K.

My question is how much will taking on 120K screw me? Will I be able to get a house loans or a car loan? Is it possible to do get a hardship deferral during residency and still get a car loan or even a house loan?

How much of a sacrifice will I be making if I take on the extra debt?

Members don't see this ad.

How much more valuable is a degree from a better school than your state school? Will your post-graduation income be significantly higher with the better school? If you take the school you don't really want to go to are you going to regret it later in life?
You should be able to manage enough forbearance time to get you through residency, with proper consolidation manipulation you can get 6 years of forbearance guaranteed. As far as the house and car I'm not sure.