How much will this affect my chances, if any?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AP03

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my second semester of my Sophomore year and I'm a little worried about my chances of getting into medical school. I'm considering a change of major and possibly taking somewhat of a different route from what I started with. I need some advice to see if my new route would work against me in any way.

To make a very long story short:
During my first semester of college (taken right out of high school), I endured some hardships that affected me greatly. I stopped attending classes and my ending GPA was 0.75. I returned to school about a year later and I currently have a 3.56 AO GPA. When both are calculated it brings me to about a 2.89. I understand I have to get around a 4.0 in my remaining semesters in order to get a decent GPA, which is doable. In addition, I plan to attend college for an extra year (for a total of 5 years) to help increase my GPA.

I am currently a Psychology major but I am also interested in getting my CRNA. Because of my fear of rejection from Medical school, I would like to finish the classes I need for Pre-Med, take the Nursing pre-reqs, and apply to the Nursing program at my school. I was told by an advisor for Nursing that students who apply to the program sometimes don't get in for 2 to 3 years. So I figured that if I finished all the pre-reqs for both Pre-Med and Nursing, finish all of my ECS, and graduate, then I can apply to Medical school. If I get in, I would obviously forget about obtaining my CRNA. But if I continue to get rejected, then I would fall back on my plan for Nursing. Does this sound like it would raise any sort of red flags for adcoms? I'm trying to make sure I have a back up plan if my original plan for med school falls through. If my plan is flawed in any way, please correct me.

Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished my second semester of my Sophomore year and I'm a little worried about my chances of getting into medical school. I'm considering a change of major and possibly taking somewhat of a different route from what I started with. I need some advice to see if my new route would work against me in any way.

To make a very long story short:
During my first semester of college (taken right out of high school), I endured some hardships that affected me greatly. I stopped attending classes and my ending GPA was 0.75. I returned to school about a year later and I currently have a 3.56 AO GPA. When both are calculated it brings me to about a 2.89. I understand I have to get around a 4.0 in my remaining semesters in order to get a decent GPA, which is doable. In addition, I plan to attend college for an extra year (for a total of 5 years) to help increase my GPA.

I am currently a Psychology major but I am also interested in getting my CRNA. Because of my fear of rejection from Medical school, I would like to finish the classes I need for Pre-Med, take the Nursing pre-reqs, and apply to the Nursing program at my school. I was told by an advisor for Nursing that students who apply to the program sometimes don't get in for 2 to 3 years. So I figured that if I finished all the pre-reqs for both Pre-Med and Nursing, finish all of my ECS, and graduate, then I can apply to Medical school. If I get in, I would obviously forget about obtaining my CRNA. But if I continue to get rejected, then I would fall back on my plan for Nursing. Does this sound like it would raise any sort of red flags for adcoms? I'm trying to make sure I have a back up plan if my original plan for med school falls through. If my plan is flawed in any way, please correct me.

Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated.

Nursing and medicine are very different. You need to figure out which one is right for you and pursue it. Personally, I would never try to do both.

I know Medicine and Nursing are two different fields. I'm not saying I would like to do both, I'm simply asking if completing the pre-reqs for both fields (just in case one plan falls through) would affect my admission into Medical school. Since Medical school is my ultimate goal, I plan to do whatever it takes to pursue it but sometimes giving something all you have does not necessarily work out to your benefit. I am concentrating on Medical school first and foremost but I want to take nursing classes while finishing my Pre-Med requirements so I will have a headstart in Nursing if I don't get an acceptance to Med school. My only concern is whether or not adcoms would frown upon my choice of classes. I certainly wouldn't want them to think that I was more interested in Nursing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I get what you're trying to do.

What are the pre-reqs for the nursing program at your school? It's possible an adcom won't even know the classes are nursing pre-reqs.

The main thing you need to be sure of is that this route is not going to compromise your GPA.

my very good friend is both a doctor and a nurse, go for it! and dont let what anyone else says get you down, do whatever it takes to achieve your dreams. How could you hold having a backup plan against someone anyway? it's only the smart thing to do

my very good friend is both a doctor and a nurse, go for it! and dont let what anyone else says get you down, do whatever it takes to achieve your dreams. How could you hold having a backup plan against someone anyway? it's only the smart thing to do

That may be so, but I think some schools might actually hold this backup plan against you. The rumor is that certain schools don't like to take nursing students/nurses because they feel that it contributes to the nursing shortage. I don't know how true that is, but it's been said. The issue then is going to be the names of the nursing pre-reqs. At my schools they're things like physiology and microbiology, which an adcom wouldn't be able to tell are nursing pre-reqs. If that's the case, nobody will ever know. If the classes are like NURSING 100 or something, you may have an issue.