How much will this hurt me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdoc1995

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, when I was a freshman in college, I became very ill and was hospitalized for awhile. As a result, I had to drop all of my first semester classes, and have 5 w's on my transcript from this. I'm worried about having to explain this, and that medical schools won't believe my story or take it seriously and just write me off.

I have done very well since then, maintaining a 3.8+ GPA, but right now I am struggling with an upper division chem course (analytical), and am thinking I might need to take another W. Basically, I feel really stuck and don't want something that was out of my control to ruin my chances of being a doc, and I'm worried about how much more one W would hurt. Does anyone have any thoughts/advice/reassurance?

Thank you so much in advance everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

So, when I was a freshman in college, I became very ill and was hospitalized for awhile. As a result, I had to drop all of my first semester classes, and have 5 w's on my transcript from this. I'm worried about having to explain this, and that medical schools won't believe my story or take it seriously and just write me off.

I have done very well since then, maintaining a 3.8+ GPA, but right now I am struggling with an upper division chem course (analytical), and am thinking I might need to take another W. Basically, I feel really stuck and don't want something that was out of my control to ruin my chances of being a doc, and I'm worried about how much more one W would hurt. Does anyone have any thoughts/advice/reassurance?
A serious illness that required hospitalization is a good explanation for your W's. Everyone gets sick and no one will fault you for that. Furthermore, you have already proven through your 3.8+ GPA that you can handle the coursework. Medical schools will not have doubts about your academic abilities and work ethic unless there is a significant and persistent downward GPA trend.

I would stay in this chemistry class as long as you are getting a B- or higher, and it isn't adversely affecting your other classes. One low grade won't kill your application (I had two C's and it had no effect on my cycle). Another W is unlikely to hurt you either. Now, if you have W's in every semester, that might become a bit curious :D.

tl;dr: Calm down, you're fine.