How much will this hurt me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bhatta

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have made a post before asking if I have a chance to get in and I dont think I was to clear so ill try it again.

I started college poorly with a gpa of only a 2.4 in my first 2.5 years.

The next 1.5 years I got a 4.0 so my cum. gpa was 3.1.

I started to retake some of the science courses that I got C in and received all A's so now my gpa is 3.87.

All of the gpa posted are science gpa and my total gpa is a 3.73.

I have taken the mcat and got a 38. I have some clinical experience but not enough. Okay EC.

So pretty much my question is how bad does it hurt to have only a 3.1 before retaking classes? Does it make that much of a difference? And how are my chance to get into at least middle of the pack med schools?

Members don't see this ad.

bhatta, you are still not being very clear.

Are you saying that your cumulative GPA is 3.73 including all classes taken and all retakes?

And that your BCPM ( all Biology/Chem/Physics/math) GPA is 3.87 including all original and retaken grades?

If so, I gather that your concern is that you retook many classes and did better, but you're worried that your early mediocre performance will be held against you.

If so, I'd say that highly-selective schools will probably frown on such a record, but you have generally redeemed your GPA, proved you understand the material with a great MCAT score, have a steep upward trend in grades, and should have no trouble getting into mid-selectivity schools, if you beef up your ECs.

Members don't see this ad :)
simply recalculate your GPA as AMCAS does, if you have not already. If you have, just let us know.

to Calculate your GPA, you factor all classes. Even the ones before the retake. So if you got a C (2.0) in Intro to Love, and retook it and got a 4.0 the second time. It technically averages out to a 3.0 (if you just focus on those 2 classes). Your retakes do not replace older grades for MD schools. holler

Oh okay well my BCPM gpa is a 3.73 and my cum. gpa is a 3.57.

My problem is that there is only two thing I can see myself doing, the first and the one I want the most is going to medical school and the second in going into the Navy aviation program which I have already qualified for. I have already put off officer/aviation training this year but I dont know how long I can keep putting it off to try to get into medical school. I am planning on putting it off for at least another year but after that im not sure if I should just give up and go to officer training. I have no idea what to do to make myself more competitive.

Your high MCAT score compensates for the slightly sub-par cGPA. Stats-wise, you'll be fine.

What are your extracurriculars for research, leadership, community servie, and clinical experience?

Do you have your Letters of Recommendation lined up?

I have shadowed an orthopedic surgeon for 2 years, the thing is that the surgeon was my cousin does that matter?

I have been a tutor for about a year now, I have also worked for the fda.

I am still looking for more research experience.

And one more question do family ties to a medical school count for anything? I have an older sister that went to umb and did really well.

I have shadowed an orthopedic surgeon for 2 years, the thing is that the surgeon was my cousin does that matter?

I have been a tutor for about a year now, I have also worked for the fda.

I am still looking for more research experience.
If it's acceptable to shadow a parent, it's OK to shadow a cousin. It is not acceptable to get a letter of reference from any family member though.

Aside from shadowing you need some type of clinical experience where you interact with sick people and are a part of their therapeutic experience. Most students volunteer in a clinical environment, as it doubles as community service. If you work in a clinical place, you need a separate community service experience. You have way more shadowing then you need; it's time to switch your focus now.

Tutoring is another good area to have an experience in. Do you have anything for leadership? And surely you've done some other altruistic activity that will help other people in the last 4 years. It need not be medically related.

60% have research on their application. It isn't an essential experience, but it helps if another part of the application isn't good.

And one more question do family ties to a medical school count for anything? I have an older sister that went to umb and did really well.
If it's a private school, and your sister has been making regular monetary contributions since graduation, it might help you.

Thanks for all the advice. I guess i just wanted to see if I could get into John Hopkins I guess not, I guess I should just take what I know is for sure my uncle and aunt are post prof. at ohio state pharmacology and genetics. Good Luck everyone