How much will you be taking out in loans for your first year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much will you be taking out in loans for your first year of med school?

• $0-15K

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • $16K - 30K

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • $31K - 45K

Votes: 32 29.9%
  • $46K or more

Votes: 41 38.3%

• Total voters

sirius08

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since financial aid packages have arrived for most of us, I thought a comparison might be interesting. Choose the option that corresponds to the school that you'll most likely attend.

Members don't see this ad.

p.s. I know that I could have made more poll options in the higher range, but thought that might be a little too depressing for us. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Four words - Health Professions Scholarship Program.

I took out all of the "free loans," the ones that are zero interest. Have them in CDs earning me interest unless I need them. Made the 20K bonus, get paid almost 2000 a month with the stipend, have all my books, health insurance, tuition, equipment, fees...etc paid for and get an extra 7k or so over the summer. I will owe four years post resident.

But, you have to have one important pre-req to make it worthwhile, a desire to serve in the military. If you don't have have it, don't apply for the scholarship.

Cheers

I'm joining the military for it (like mentioned above). I'm not joining just to have things paid for, but I have a long family history of soldiers and I've always wanted to serve.

I'm going to ask first for a million dollars and then see what they give me

It is just a number for me. I'm trying to keep the complaints to a minimum until I reach residency. But I took out just over 40k for first year. I would have taken out more if I could have, because of the economy and all... but COA is God and controls all things.

$71,000 for first year.

I've seen a number of "XYZ private school vs. my state school" threads on here recently, and while I don't typically weigh in on those debates, I'd just like to say that if you're accepted to your state school, you are LUCKY (regardless of whether or not you choose to go)!!!!

I love and am totally looking forward to Tulane, but I'd take my state school in a heartbeat if they wanted me.

$71,000 for first year.

I've seen a number of "XYZ private school vs. my state school" threads on here recently, and while I don't typically weigh in on those debates, I'd just like to say that if you're accepted to your state school, you are LUCKY (regardless of whether or not you choose to go)!!!!

I love and am totally looking forward to Tulane, but I'd take my state school in a heartbeat if they wanted me.

I think the poll should be altered to allow for responses made in $10K increments starting from $0K up to say $80K. This may be a little more helpful and informative.

Oh and I will be taking ~$45K in loans for my first year.

I think the poll should be altered to allow for responses made in $10K increments starting from $0K up to say $80K. This may be a little more helpful and informative.

Oh and I will be taking ~$45K in loans for my first year.

Yeah, I initially made the 15K increments because I thought that the 10K may be a bit too precise if people aren't yet sure of the amount that they will borrow. I think it's too late to change the poll at this point, but the data are still interesting, as are the comments that everyone has posted.

haven't figured it out exactly, but will still be 46K+ regardless.

COA at state school is 54500 and it will likely be that. at least for the first year. i'll adjust down if necessary