How Necessary is a TouchScreen Enabled Laptop in Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The_Lost_11

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a Macbook for med school, but I was reading that a touch screen is good to have. Macbooks don't have that, so I was wondering if I should scout different PC Brands instead. How necessary would you say having a touch screen laptop is, and how often do you really use it? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say it's totally not necessary. Some people have them and love them. I have one and almost never use the touchscreen function since I prefer to type my notes. You can definitely get by without it.

Reactions: 1 user
Really is personal preference. Not "necessary" at all. Half my class has Macs, the other half mostly have the Surface Pro

Members don't see this ad :)
I already graduated but not long ago. I think I only knew a few people who had one.

I even knew this one guy who said he never even used a computer but just paper and pen or pencil. Absolutely no idea how he did that.

I was thinking of getting a Macbook for med school, but I was reading that a touch screen is good to have. Macbooks don't have that, so I was wondering if I should scout different PC Brands instead. How necessary would you say having a touch screen laptop is, and how often do you really use it? Thanks.
If you're not too strapped for cash, maybe you could supplement the macbook with a tablet of some kind if you want to be able to use touchscreen. I just got a macbook pro and plan to get a super cheap tablet from Craigslist before med school starts to make note taking easier

If you are a handwriter and draw a lot of pictures - probably a good idea

If you mostly type things (90% of my class), a touch screen is almost completely unnecessary

Side note... I will admit that having a surface pro or ipad would be a nice perk for redrawing mechanisms over and over instead of on a whiteboard, but it's more of a "nice thing to have" instead of actually helping me learn. n=1

If cash isn't a problem, I'd get some sort of a tablet and try it out. You'll either learn to love it or let it collect dust.

It's unnecessary. I overthought and overspent, and ended up getting an expensive laptop with a lot of utility (SurfaceBook with a dedicated graphics card). I never use it as anything other than a normal-ass laptop. I could've spent half the money and gotten a thinner and lighter laptop and never have missed out.

I already graduated but not long ago. I think I only knew a few people who had one.

I even knew this one guy who said he never even used a computer but just paper and pen or pencil. Absolutely no idea how he did that.
I'm a hand-writer (did it all through undergrad)

Do you find this is simply not feasible in medical school?

Reactions: 1 users
Surface pro surface pro surface prooooo

Reactions: 5 users
I have one and don't use it. Glad I saved $500 rather than getting a surface Pro

Personally I can't see not having a computer in med school, but to each their own. It worked for that one guy I knew about. Maybe he used school computers in the library, I don't really know. If it works for you, then that's cool. :)

Its worth testing out a sp4 at best buy or where ever. I was never a techie type of person but this thing has changed my life lol. All my notes, books, study tools are in one place. The touch screen of the sp4 has better ergonomics of any other laptop especially for note taking, IMO. Also PDF textbooks are super easy to use when you can scroll with your finger on the touch screen. It kind of bridges the gap between hardcopy and digital textbooks and made transitioning very easy for me. My wife just started PA school and got one as well (used Macs her whole life)... she is in love with it, maybe more than she loves me. Seriously, try one out...

It can still work.

In undergrad a lot of people would come to class and take handwritten notes from scratch on a blank sheet of paper. This probably won't work, because the lectures move way too fast. Lecturers should give out a digital file with the slides. Most students will digitally take notes on these, but it's perfectly viable to print out the slides and take handwritten notes. I don't know of anyone that does this, because having your class notes in .pdf format is nice for organizational purposes. Having all those papers would be tedious because of the sheer volume.

What is fairly common is people making handwritten summaries/reviews of their class notes while reviewing/studying the material.

I know people who write out things to commit them to memory. I don't see how they have the time. I started writing flashcards by hand, lasted two days and now I use computer flashcards (Anki/quizlet).

I wish I wasn't so poor and could have bought a SurfacePro and I'm a person that types notes. I'd like to have the option of both. The only reason I even take notes is to make myself stay engaged in the material. Having the option of both typing/writing on screen would make it easier. But it's not 100% necessary. Although I used a mouse to draw for neuroanatomy pathways/structures, which would be a lot easier with a pen.

Basically everyone at my school has a mac and there are no mac touch screens. Really there is no necessity for any type of laptop, get whatever you like!

Personal preference. For me, 0% necessary.

Hand writer here as well. Tons of scrap paper, stacks of notebooks with unruled paper, 3 hole puncher, 3 ring binder, and just me and the books.

I learn no concepts from First Aid, BRS, Kaplan, etc. When I read textbooks and do UWorld, I write out my solutions. the more time I spend engaged writing about the concept, the likelier I will be able to teach it to another person.

Went through all four years with a standard non-touch screen lap top and she held up great.
It definitely isn't necessary.

Although, I will say, an ipad mini is super handy for clinical years.

Surface pro surface pro surface prooooo

Seriously, to build on this.

Do you get distracted while reviewing lectures? Pull off the keyboard and sit down with your lecture notes and a surface pen. No keyboard=surfing the web is such a huge PITA that you'll give up.

Want a computer that you can use easily while watching netflix or whatver? Fits the bill.

Reviewing sketchy videos while riding the stationary bike at the gym? You go Glen Coco!

Walking around like a crazy person reviewing anki while holding it in your hand? You do you bruh.

Is it necessary? No. But I mean you could probably get through med school without a laptop if you used the ones in the library all day everyday...

If you own a laptop now, keep it and leave it at home connected to an external monitor or two. Use the surface everywhere else. Profit.

If you want something that fits in your white coat pocket, the old nexus tabs are pretty cheap these days.

Reactions: 1 users