Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

How necessary is pre-med?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Pink_Armadillo, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Pink_Armadillo

Pink_Armadillo New Member

I'm not in college yet (still in high school) but I'm trying to choose a major and I was wondering how necessary the pre-med major is to getting into medical school and how many pre-med majors there are among you. I've received a lot of conflicting information on this subject---does not choosing pre-med affect your med school chances significantly? And if not, is it necessary to even major in a science-related discipline? I've received a lot of strange info on that too (our school counselors aren't the best) Some people think liberal arts majors have even better chances, some think they don't and a surprisingly large minority think that all liberal arts majors are destined to burn in the twelfth circle of hell--I figured actual med students or future med students would be more reliable.

:eek: Armadillo :eek: ,
    Newbie :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. emorygirl04

emorygirl04 Junior Member

Pre-med isn't a major at my university, and I dont know that it is at many others. To be pre-med you just have to complete courses required (and I'd advise taking those recommended) by medical schools. A list of those requirements can be found at the AAMC website or probably almost any med school's admissions site. Doesn't matter what your major is--pick something you like. Good luck.

4. midlifecrisis

midlifecrisis Member
    5+ Year Member

From one newby to another.....I'm an older non-traditional type, so my take may be a bit different than the straight through school crowd. I think entering school with an open mind is important. With general classes one will grab you, maybe because of subject, maybe proffesor, maybe both. Go with it...its more important that you focus and do well than do ok at the supposed right thing. Doing what you enjoy will make it more likely you will do well.

I dropped out of high school to go to college early, started in on liberal arts, left school, had a career in outdoor education, went back to school to study geology, got distracted by chemistry and biochem, graduated in that, and now I'm headed to med school. There's no ideal path...do what suits you, you'll do better.

5. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi and welcome to SDN[​IMG]

You can chose any major you want as long as you take the required courses which are
    Biology I and II with labs for both
    General Chemistry I and II with labs for both
    Organic Chemistry I and II with labs for both
    Physics I and II with labs for both
    1 year of English
    1 year of college level math

You can take any major that interests you. I have friends that were dance majors, engineering, biomedical, french, etc. I was a biology major because that was what I was interested in. I wanted to be a microbiology major but my school didn't offer that major.

Take what you enjoy.

6. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    a lot of the schools dont even have a premed major.
    not to offend anyone who has one, but i just think its a waste of a major.
    do another major that you can actually go indepth with the material and learn something outside of the basics.

all you need to do is whatever you major in...just do the core prereqs along with something like biochem along the way.

7. underAchiever

underAchiever leoni ridenti
    7+ Year Member

Like everybody else said, there is no "pre-med major". You are pre-med in that you have medical school aspirations and you take the prerequisite classes in Bio, Chem, Physics and Math. Typical majors of premeds are Biology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Chemistry but you could major in Armadillo studies if you like as long as you take and do well in the prereqs. Some colleges, like USF, have majors like Biomedical science which they promote as the most efficient/effective pre-med major, so you might want to talk to a pre-med adivsor if the college you go to has anything like that, if you are interested. And to reiterate what has been said by other, if you keep an open mind something interesting might drop in.

8. celticmists18

celticmists18 california dreaming
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    some med schools actually frown on people who have a pre-med major. It shows a lack of forthought (ie, god forbid you don't get into med school you would be screwed with that major). Plus med schools like well-rounded candidates and being a pre-med major makes you out to be very narrowed minded. Good Luck! (join the dark side and be a bio major! j/k) :D

9. jedirampage

jedirampage Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Also some schools require a course in biochem and/or calculus (specifically). Check each med school's website that you're interested in when the time comes to make sure you have these complete if you need to.

10. Alexander99

Alexander99 Ghetto Fabulous
    7+ Year Member

How important is it to be a premed major? Not at all.

11. SaltySqueegee

SaltySqueegee El Rey de Salsa
    10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I like your userid. Seems to sum up nicely what you just described. I was wondering, do you have any immediate family that you will be taking with you to Medical school?

-Tom

12. Cydney Foote

Cydney Foote Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Med schools want you to have a strong science background, but they prefer people who are well-rounded and have other interests. Medicine encompasses much more than just science - communication, leadership, commitment to other people and interests to name just a very few. One-dimensional people usually don't make good members of medical teams or study groups and they often have trouble dealing with the stresses of med school/medical practice. For your own mental health, it helps to have an outside passion unrelated to medicine. Not to mention that the admissions committees can smell passion a mile away. So pick a major that interests you, do really well in your science classes, and pick up some volunteer and extracurricular activities along the way, and don't worry about "pre-med."

Good luck!

13. SaltySqueegee

10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Someone once told me that Pre-med was just a "state of mind." I think that about says it all...

My advice is to pick an educational path you like, plus pick a minor out in an area that will broaden your horizons so to speak.

14. luckyday

luckyday Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I know you're probably anxious to learn all there is to know about medicine and biology in college, but remember you have four years of medical school to learn about that stuff (and the rest of your career). My personal advice is to choose something unrelated to medicine (note that unrelated does not mean it can't be useful in medicine). Majors like Psychology are often favorable because you'll learn things that are very useful in dealing with people. Most science classes you take won't teach you that social support is one of the most important determinants of life expectancy in large populations. Other useful majors are foreign languages like Spanish or Chinese, and others depending on where you will practice and what populations you will deal with. Please don't choose a major based on your chances for getting into medical school. I heard once that music majors have the highest acceptance rate to medical school, but that certainly doesn't mean that all premeds should learn to play the flute.

15. SaltySqueegee

10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    My understanding is that those whom are liberal arts, or art/music majors that want to go into medicine, are abnormally qualified as they are extremely well rounded (of course they must prove themselves in science gpa and mcat scores). The point is, your average liberal arts student that is applying to medical school isn't average at all (usually).

Note: this post is full of gray areas. Take it for what its worth.

16. Fumoffu

Fumoffu Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

There's a pre-med major?

Woah!

17. Zweihander

Zweihander Billygoat Gruff
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Honestly, I think a premed major is pretty thoroughly useless unless you really enjoy the subject matter. It is no help in getting an individual into medical school, and I think it only deprives you of the diversity of educational experience that four years in college is supposed to offer. If you want to do it for its own sake, go for it. Otherwise, don't waste your time.

18. terpgirl

terpgirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Not at all, because most universities I looked at don't offer it as an actual degree. We have a pre-professional advising office, and that's about it. University of Maryland.

I'm a Human Sexuality and Reproduction major, and it's serving me well.

-Liz

19. SaltySqueegee

10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    That's not a degree, that's an EC ;) :cool:

20. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    actually...there are a small number of schools where there actually is a major called pre-med...but like most of us have said on here, if you have an option to choose that major...its prolly better if you dont and do something else.

21. willthatsall

willthatsall Unretired
    7+ Year Member

And just how well is it serving you?

22. Alexander99

Alexander99 Ghetto Fabulous
    7+ Year Member

The question begs to be asked: If you're a pre-med major and you don't get into med school, what do you do then? :confused:

23. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    well...anything really...

take your gre-s for something...
    work at mcdonalds...
    apply for jobs in a field completely different from medicine...
    apply again...
    go to school again and major in something different ;)