How new traffic rules may change waitlist movement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eaglebaseball4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to one MD medical school and am on the waitlist at my dream MD school. How will the new AAMC traffic rules change waitlist movement? Around May 1st? In previous years I know a lot of movement occurred then, but unsure how the new rules will change things.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard rumors that the new traffic rules will lead to schools offering fewer acceptances initially and waitlisting more people to avoid overfilling schools since they cannot see if the students have been accepted anywhere else until april, is there any truth to this?

Reactions: 1 users
I think the one thing that might make waitlist movement actually move quicker is that they now only allow you to hold 3 acceptances by april 15th. So there won't be people hoarding more than 3 at that point. There's probably very little people that have more than 3 to begin with but I'm guessing this will cause movement to start a little earlier.

Members don't see this ad :)
And according to the rules you can only hold one acceptance by May 1st, correct?

Reactions: 2 users
I think one thing that will change is the schools that use an "unranked waitlist" at least until April 30th. I've heard that some schools select from their waitlist to add to the diversity of the class. So, if one person chooses to accept another acceptance, the other school would pick someone with similar stats, EC's, race, etc. However, since schools can only see an aggregate number rather than students with acceptances from more desirable schools, if they decide they need to hand out more acceptances, then they would by default choose the applicants scored the highest by whatever system they use.

I think one thing that will change is the schools that use an "unranked waitlist" at least until April 30th. I've heard that some schools select from their waitlist to add to the diversity of the class. So, if one person chooses to accept another acceptance, the other school would pick someone with similar stats, EC's, race, etc. However, since schools can only see an aggregate number rather than students with acceptances from more desirable schools, if they decide they need to hand out more acceptances, then they would by default choose the applicants scored the highest by whatever system they use.
I mean, schools still know who they’ve accepted. So if a certain student has withdrawn for another acceptance, they can just pick a similar one off the waitlist. If that waitlisted student doesn’t accept the new acceptance offer (because they’re already accepted at a second school), then schools can just go to next similar student on their waitlist. So I’m not sure that really changes.

I mean, schools still know who they’ve accepted. So if a certain student has withdrawn for another acceptance, they can just pick a similar one off the waitlist. If that waitlisted student doesn’t accept the new acceptance offer (because they’re already accepted at a second school), then schools can just go to next similar student on their waitlist. So I’m not sure that really changes.
I'm more referring to the "plan to enroll" tool that becomes available today! I think that once we get into april and students begin to withdraw, the schools will follow their previous methods. For now though, most accepted students are probably keeping most acceptances with hopes of scholarships.

I think the one thing that might make waitlist movement actually move quicker is that they now only allow you to hold 3 acceptances by april 15th. So there won't be people hoarding more than 3 at that point. There's probably very little people that have more than 3 to begin with but I'm guessing this will cause movement to start a little earlier.

Just to be clear, you are allowed to hold onto more than 3 acceptances after April 15 per AMCAS rules. The narrowing it down to 3 acceptances is a suggestion they give to

A) make it easier to choose just one school by April 30, and
B) open up spots for applicants on the waitlist at those schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Just to be clear, you are allowed to hold onto more than 3 acceptances after April 15 per AMCAS rules. The narrowing it down to 3 acceptances is a suggestion they give to

A) make it easier to choose just one school by April 30, and
B) open up spots for applicants on the waitlist at those schools.
Right, but some schools require you to narrow it down to 3, or risk rescinding your acceptance (I don't know how they'd enforce that though). I guess the lesson here is to look into your school-specific policies and requirements as @gonnif said.

Right, but some schools require you to narrow it down to 3, or risk rescinding your acceptance (I don't know how they'd enforce that though). I guess the lesson here is to look into your school-specific policies and requirements as @gonnif said.

Yes, that's why I said per AMCAS rules. Each school will have it's own policy.

How would they even be aware that someone has more than 3 acceptances after April 15th if there is no multiple acceptance report?

How would they even be aware that someone has more than 3 acceptances after April 15th if there is no multiple acceptance report?
This is one of those things where you need to do the right thing even if no one is "looking". There is very little reason (other than lack of financial aid package) or need for partner to get a job in a given city, why a student would need to hold onto more than 3 sets after April 15th. Since some schools are requiring students to go down to no more than 3 schools by April 15th, follow the rules of the schools to which you have been accepted (even if no one is "watching").

There is supposedly a data dashboard/report that may show how many other schools the acceptee has been accepted or waitlisted at though I am not sure it is implemented yet.

BTW, I just noticed that some schools are defining commit to enroll as declining all acceptances and waitlists including TMDSAS (Texas) and AACOM (DO). TMDSAS should have access to this tool as well as all schools are AAMC members.
Thanks. On April 30th are we required to release all TMDSAS acceptances too? Or just all AMCAS acceptances except for 1?
Also is choosing 3 on the April 15th mandatory? or a guideline?

Thanks. On April 30th are we required to release all TMDSAS acceptances too? Or just all AMCAS acceptances except for 1?
Also is choosing 3 on the April 15th mandatory? or a guideline?

The answers to each of those questions is that it is school dependent. (Other than the down to 1 AMCAS acceptance before 5/1)

I don't know what TMDSAS requires. If your schools on AMCAS has a policy regarding your TMDSAS acceptances than it will school dependent.
Do I need to call the school to find out? Is this something they typically list on their websites?

There is supposedly a data dashboard/report that may show how many other schools the acceptee has been accepted or waitlisted at though I am not sure it is implemented yet.
Lastly, and most importantly, virtually all schools that have a formal required policy on plan/commit also have verbiage that can rescind your acceptance without notice (and without recourse) if you do not follow the policy. Now imagine if two schools you are holding acceptance after April 30 (or April 15 in some cases) both see are holding 2 acceptances and at nearly same time both decide to rescind. You would be, as my wanna-be sailor Dad used to say “screwed blue’d and tattooed.”
One of the school's I'm withdrawing from asked that I wait a few days first because they may have scholarship money freed up for me on Monday (the 15th). They know I was planning to drop them to cut down to 3 acceptances but they said if I end up continuing with the withdrawal that they will process it on tuesday (the 16th), a day late. Does this put me at risk for my 3 remaining schools as they may see I still have 4 acceptances on the 15th/16th?

Second, when would this dashboard/report that you speak of be implemented @gonnif ? I'm curious if it will help me get merit/recruitment scholarships before the 30th if schools can see I have other acceptances.

I’m a little confused and was wondering if someone could help me. I have been accepted to 2 DO schools so I have until May 15 according to AACOMAS to commit to one of them. I interviewed and was waitlisted at one MD school. Do I need to do anything on the AMCAS Portal before May 1? Thanks!