How often do people get WL because of gpa/mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is this a pretty common reason for WL? I would think if you get an interview invite they assume you're academically qualified right? I mean if you get 5 IIs wouldnt it be highly unlike to get WL at all 5 because of gpa/mcat?

Members don't see this ad.

I've posted this before but I'll post it again.

I read in a book last year that it works like this: One adcom will read your file and offer you an interview. Maybe he was a high GPA, low MCAT person himself, or maybe he likes to give people chances. Either way, you go to the interview, and then your file is brought before the ENTIRE ADCOM. This is where they vote on you. Some will see your GPA/MCAT and vote no, and that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Not saying this happens at every school, but there are no guarantees during the application cycle. There is a very real chance you will be WL'd at all your interviews and it has happened before.

I read in a book last year that it works like this: One adcom will read your file and offer you an interview. Maybe he was a high GPA, low MCAT person himself, or maybe he likes to give people chances. Either way, you go to the interview, and then your file is brought before the ENTIRE ADCOM. This is where they vote on you. Some will see your GPA/MCAT and vote no, and that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Not saying this happens at every school, but there are no guarantees during the application cycle. There is a very real chance you will be WL'd at all your interviews and it has happened before.

That is scary as hell, lol. My numbers arent past the point of no return but ill admit im below average when im sitting on roughly a 3.3/3.3 26.

Members don't see this ad :)

Damnit Cole, why didn't you listen the first time he said it?

That is scary as hell, lol. My numbers arent past the point of no return but ill admit im below average when im sitting on roughly a 3.3/3.3 26.

Same. My GPA is lower than yours and even though my MCAT is higher, I think most schools/people put more emphasis on GPA.

Same. My GPA is lower than yours and even though my MCAT is higher, I think most schools/people put more emphasis on GPA.

GPA becomes so hard to bring up too at that point. At that point retakes dont do as much good.

GPA becomes so hard to bring up too at that point. At that point retakes dont do as much good.

Unless you have a C in a certain class and make it an A. I calculated it, if I retook my intro bio C, it would bump my science gpa by .2 points :eek:

I cant even imagine if I replaced my B- in physics and C in bio with A's. I'd prolly get into Vanderbelts Osteopathic program ;)

Unless you have a C in a certain class and make it an A. I calculated it, if I retook my intro bio C, it would bump my science gpa by .2 points :eek:

I cant even imagine if I replaced my B- in physics and C in bio with A's. I'd prolly get into Vanderbelts Osteopathic program ;)

Depends how many credits you have too. I'm at about 160 now so retakes really won't help much.

Depends how many credits you have too. I'm at about 160 now so retakes really won't help much.

Yeah, thats true. I only have the pre recs, so It makes a big difference for me when I completely replace a C with an A. Hopefully I made the right decicion about majoring in non science :xf:

If worse comes to worse, retake classes and apply DO. Still get to be a physician

This annoys me a little bit too - because how do you even standardize this? There is a difference between an ivy league pre-med program and a CC pre-med program (I'm sorry....but we all know this is true). But a 4.0 from a CC surpasses a lower gpa from a better institution? It's just bogus to me :confused: At least with the MCAT everyone is on the same playing field - it's really the only way to standardize everone and put them on the same playing field.

Totes went off topic, but just thought I'd add in my 2 cents.

What was this thread about again?! :laugh:

This annoys me a little bit too - because how do you even standardize this? There is a difference between an ivy league pre-med program and a CC pre-med program (I'm sorry....but we all know this is true). But a 4.0 from a CC surpasses a lower gpa from a better institution? It's just bogus to me :confused: At least with the MCAT everyone is on the same playing field - it's really the only way to standardize everone and put them on the same playing field.

Totes went off topic, but just thought I'd add in my 2 cents.

What was this thread about again?! :laugh:

I agree about the standardizing aspect. A solid GPA shows that you were committed for a long time though. MCAT just shows that you prepped well for a few months and performed well on test day. I can see why both are necessary in evaluating applicants.

same, im at around 160. retakes barely budge my gpa...

That's what I'm at. Like 150. That's what will force me to go DO. Retake your c's and watch that gpa climb. I'm so glad for grade replacement. It will honestly save my ass

That's what I'm at. Like 150. That's what will force me to go DO. Retake your c's and watch that gpa climb. I'm so glad for grade replacement. It will honestly save my ass

Same here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree about the standardizing aspect. A solid GPA shows that you were committed for a long time though. MCAT just shows that you prepped well for a few months and performed well on test day. I can see why both are necessary in evaluating applicants.

Yeah, in my nova interview they asked me about a failed gen chem class and how I could explain my 30 MCAT a couple of years later when I had failed a gen chem class. Almost like they would expect me to suck at the MCAT because of a failed science class.

Yeah, in my nova interview they asked me about a failed gen chem class and how I could explain my 30 MCAT a couple of years later when I had failed a gen chem class. Almost like they would expect me to suck at the MCAT because of a failed science class.

I was expecting questions like that too, but they never came. I'm sure MD schools will have some of those for me though.

I got the why is there such a gap between your MCAT and GPA? and which do you think reflects your ability? It was a tough question to answer without saying, I didn't do **** in undergrad other than play hockey.

i wonder if my 3.3 gpa 26 will prompt people to ask me "so whats it like having completely average grades, can an average person do well in medical school?" lol

I was asked about a low verbal score at the my Western interview. If the rest of your app is good and you have one low MCAT section, you could say you think it was a fluke. Luckily, my interviewer agreed with me.

I was asked about a low verbal score at the my Western interview. If the rest of your app is good and you have one low MCAT section, you could say you think it was a fluke. Luckily, my interviewer agreed with me.

didnt you get an 11 on VR o_O

I can't quantitfy on the number of AdCom meetings I've seen, but "I'm worried about his GPA" or "I'm concerned about his low MCAT" has been used to move people from accept to wait list at our school. Our Dean also downgrades people because of MCAT.

So, yes, people get interviewed because they're qualified, but with so many applicants for so few seats, wouldn't you want the best?

Sometimes we DO gamble on people who might not be stellar, it's a gut feeling thing.

Is this a pretty common reason for WL? I would think if you get an interview invite they assume you're academically qualified right? I mean if you get 5 IIs wouldnt it be highly unlike to get WL at all 5 because of gpa/mcat?

Quit fussing; you'd should be fine pretty much everywhere you interview, unless you bomb the interview, or your transcript looks week (like many more F/D/C >> B/A's).

i wonder if my 3.3 gpa 26 will prompt people to ask me "so whats it like having completely average grades, can an average person do well in medical school?" lol

3.3 is average? I think that's a very good GPA, especially if you're a non-traditional student or have a job.

Quit fussing; you'd should be fine pretty much everywhere you interview, unless you bomb the interview, or your transcript looks week (like many more F/D/C >> B/A's).

luckily ive never gotten an f or D, ive gotten one C- and some random other Cs but mainly As and Bs.

just gotta let my kewl personality shine I guess. Thanks for the input. What number mcat does your dean start to downgrade? Like do you consider 24 low? 25?

luckily ive never gotten an f or D, ive gotten one C- and some random other Cs but mainly As and Bs.

just gotta let my kewl personality shine I guess. Thanks for the input. What number mcat does your dean start to downgrade? Like do you consider 24 low? 25?

Cole, I had many F's and 1 D. I think that if you come off genuine and likeable in your interviews then it does not really matter.

Cole, I had many F's and 1 D. I think that if you come off genuine and likeable in your interviews then it does not really matter.

im only going to do 1 of the 2. they cant have it all :p.

yeah i worked 30 hours a week my first two years still thats not much of a excuse for getting Bs in dumb classes like "intro to jazz" lol. that class made me hate jazz music.

im only going to do 1 of the 2. they cant have it all :p.

yeah i worked 30 hours a week my first two years still thats not much of a excuse for getting Bs in dumb classes like "intro to jazz" lol. that class made me hate jazz music.

I wouldn't try to make excuses at all, and I'm not sure that they will ask about a C here and there. I would only see this line of questioning coming from elitists or from ADCOMS seeing how students would react to their questioning and not really caring about the grades.

And btw, I think if you're genuine most people will like you. It's a very respectable trait and in the company you're in it's very rare, especially when being drilled with questions.

yeah it is what it is, i accept that i made a lot of dumb choices in undergrad. and im just going to be me.

I can't quantitfy on the number of AdCom meetings I've seen, but "I'm worried about his GPA" or "I'm concerned about his low MCAT" has been used to move people from accept to wait list at our school. Our Dean also downgrades people because of MCAT.

So, yes, people get interviewed because they're qualified, but with so many applicants for so few seats, wouldn't you want the best?

Sometimes we DO gamble on people who might not be stellar, it's a gut feeling thing.

I have read this is what happens to decide between accepted vs. wait list in multiple resources (books, talking to adcoms, SDN ). I think, for the most part, most people do well enough in their interviews that they have to look at your entire file to make a decision.

I want to believe MCAT is taken more into account than GPA. Please let it be true.

I want to believe MCAT is taken more into account than GPA. Please let it be true.

It probably depends on how much they liked the rest of your app. Someone may say "I'm concerned about their GPA" and then someone else will point to their MCAT and the reason for the low GPA.

What would those "I'm worried about his GPA" or "MCAT concerns" applicants have as GPA and MCAT scores?

I wish it was :-(

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

How low would the GPA/MCAT have to be to have this discussion?

Would love an answer to this too!!!! Just took MCAT this afternoon, 3.6 gpa, 2 Cs

I don't know much for sure, but I know that this GPA would NOT be a concern at any DO school... even with 2 Cs.

I don't know much for sure, but I know that this GPA would NOT be a concern at any DO school... even with 2 Cs.

I would have to agree. Unless s/he gets a mediocre MCAT, they shouldn't have a problem matriculating somewhere.

Less than 4.0/45. No one is safe.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

No because those people with perfect stats are too smart with no personality. At least that's what the stereotype is! Just can't win :(

3.3 is average? I think that's a very good GPA, especially if you're a non-traditional student or have a job.

Here is my school's most recently published stats: http://bit.ly/UJ13AL

To the OP: everyone has something they'd wish as better on their application. If you've made it to interview day, just relax and focus on the positives and remind them why they invited you. Don't worry about the statistical probabilities, the other applicants, or the UG class you feel asleep in.

Just make it happen. Good luck.

Here is my school's most recently published stats: http://bit.ly/UJ13AL

To the OP: everyone has something they'd wish as better on their application. If you've made it to interview day, just relax and focus on the positives and remind them why they invited you. Don't worry about the statistical probabilities, the other applicants, or the UG class you feel asleep in.

Just make it happen. Good luck.

Good to know. I didn't know Western's MCAT was so high.. I guess they don't want me. 3.28/3.26/33Q

Good to know. I didn't know Western's MCAT was so high.. I guess they don't want me. 3.28/3.26/33Q

GPA school brahhh. Did you actually get rejected or still waiting to hear back?

GPA school brahhh. Did you actually get rejected or still waiting to hear back?

Idk, they're GPA isn't that impressive though. Still haven't heard back. Western and CCOM are the only schools I sent secondaries to and haven't heard back from yet.

Idk, they're GPA isn't that impressive though. Still haven't heard back. Western and CCOM are the only schools I sent secondaries to and haven't heard back from yet.

Let me amend that then. They are much more adamant about taking people with good GPAs (3.4-3.5) and lower MCATs (27-29) than they are about taking Lower GPA (3.0-3.3) and higher MCATs (30+)

So basically, they like to stay within their range and not take chances on extremes

Samesies but for PCOM and CCOM

Let me amend that then. They are much more adamant about taking people with good GPAs (3.4-3.5) and lower MCATs (27-29) than they are about taking Lower GPA (3.0-3.3) and higher MCATs (30+)

So basically, they like to stay within their range and not take chances on extremes

Oh so they're lame. Gotcha!

Oh so they're lame. Gotcha!

Its not impossible to get in, but that's just what I've noticed. IAmKing from last cycle got into Western with a lower GPA and a 30+ MCAT I believe.

Its not impossible to get in, but that's just what I've noticed. IAmKing from last cycle got into Western with a lower GPA and a 30+ MCAT I believe.

Meh well I'm really hoping I get accepted at either NSU or one of my three September interviews so I won't have to fork over the cash to fly out to California in the event Western does want to interview me.