How often do people look look at the DO school threads and get discouraged?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Holy **** there have been some people with really high stats getting interviews, makes my stats seem pathetic. Anyone else feel like this? lol

Members don't see this ad.

They will get higher and higher as well. Just because they get interviews doesn't mean they get accepted though. Also, the people with much higher stats could also be applying to MD schools and just using DO as a "backup."

They will get higher and higher as well. Just because they get interviews doesn't mean they get accepted though. Also, the people with much higher stats could also be applying to MD schools and just using DO as a "backup."

maybe. i guess well find out when we see the averages for DO matriculants this year. I think this applies to a lot of people though, at least i hope so, lol. 3.6ers with mid 30s mcat gg me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, you're not the only one man. Never felt like underdog of the underdog before seeing all these great stats recently. Just hoping for the best for this cycle :xf:

I liken it to an experience I had in college. There was a girl in one of my classes - she went downtown with us with a friend of hers and two of my friends. One of my friends works for Abercrombie as a model, he was into her, he was a smart guy had good style etc.

Meanwhile I wasn't anything too great, had some facial acne at the time, was slightly overweight, didn't have much going for me.

But when it came to talking with her there was no comparison. He didn't know how to talk with her, and he had some kind of inhibited dancing going on. Meanwhile I chatted her up, rocked the dance floor with her, next thing I knew she was complementing my eyes, texting me erryday and ya the rest was straightforward.

The point is, just because you're well endowed with stats doesn't mean you have confidence to use it. Even if you're lacking, if you can BS stuff really good and believe in yourself, that's all that matters.

It's analogous.

I liken it to an experience I had in college. There was a girl in one of my classes - she went downtown with us with a friend of hers and two of my friends. One of my friends works for Abercrombie as a model, he was into her, he was a smart guy had good style etc.

Meanwhile I wasn't anything too great, had some facial acne at the time, was slightly overweight, didn't have much going for me.

But when it came to talking with her there was no comparison. He didn't know how to talk with her, and he had some kind of inhibited dancing going on. Meanwhile I chatted her up, rocked the dance floor with her, next thing I knew she was complementing my eyes, texting me erryday and ya the rest was straightforward.

The point is, just because you're well endowed with stats doesn't mean you have confidence to use it. Even if you're lacking, if you can BS stuff really good and believe in yourself, that's all that matters.

It's analogous.

felt like I was reading a scene in a movie script. lol

My stats were mediocre in regards to what tends to be accepted to medical schools (I had below a 3.4 and below a 30) and I still made it in. Whether others want to admit it or not, all of us went through the roller-coaster of hope and despair at some point. Now we're OMS-I's and wishing we had some free time. Keep on truckin' and show 'em what you're made of and you'll find a way in.

maybe. i guess well find out when we see the averages for DO matriculants this year. I think this applies to a lot of people though, at least i hope so, lol. 3.6ers with mid 30s mcat gg me.
Remember this is sdn where people with high status are very willing to post. The more average applicants will not post their scores as much. Also, remember that this is a small n and that there are still plenty of seats left. Stay positive and be true to yourself.Everything happens for a reason.

Haha I didn't get an R on the MCAT for nothin.

Nice writing score! Too bad it doesn't count for much at all when it comes to admissions.

Remember this is sdn where people with high status are very willing to post. The more average applicants will not post their scores as much. Also, remember that this is a small n and that there are still plenty of seats left. Stay positive and be true to yourself.Everything happens for a reason.

Well said :thumbup:

But when it came to talking with her there was no comparison. He didn't know how to talk with her, and he had some kind of inhibited dancing going on. Meanwhile I chatted her up, rocked the dance floor with her, next thing I knew she was complementing my eyes, texting me erryday

... And then you woke up. :cool:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I feel this way about MD schools. There was a guy on the AZCOM thread with a 3.9/30. He's interviewing the same day as me :(

There will always be people more and less qualified than us. Don't stress smalls!

Members don't see this ad :)
Although less likely, people could also be making up stats when posting on here just to get attention.

... And then you woke up. :cool:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Oh I've had plenty of times where it worked the other way. In those instances there's always alcohol + lonelyisland videos to salvage one's wrecked ego.

Ya anyway Cole you have stats that will get you into a school, I guess we're all just paranoid around this time. Keep in mind the school's average matriculants.

It's analogous.

:thumbup: cool story, bro :laugh:

but to the OP, all the time man, all the time! i should have just applied next year. its still early in the game though

If you're reading threads and getting overly discouraged, it's time to step away from SDN. This place is full of awesome info, but it will also make you neurotic if you spend too much time here.

If you're reading threads and getting overly discouraged, it's time to step away from SDN. This place is full of awesome info, but it will also make you neurotic if you spend too much time here.
This is good advice.:thumbup:

:thumbup:

Holy **** there have been some people with really high stats getting interviews, makes my stats seem pathetic. Anyone else feel like this? lol

Yes! Thanks for making this thread, I feel exactly the same way haha. I was kinda down yesterday cause I saw that someone who was complete at a school 1 day after me has already received an interview invite and I haven't heard anything yet. Based on all the school threads I've been following, it seems like the people with interviews right now are people with pretty competitive stats. Maybe the schools are trying to get the top guys in the first wave and will come around to everyone else later, or maybe this is just my wishful thinking. We'll see.

Good idea. I think I'm gonna try to take a break and focus on secondaries for now and then maybe come back once I finish and have more free time.

It's analogous.

My favorite part is the fact that you said erryday. Thank you! :highfive:

Ugh I feel the same way dude, pretty sure my stats are the lowest of the low. Prob a good idea 2 take a break from sdn for a while

my stats are far from amazing too. at this point im just going to hope for the ebst and see what happens really, this process has been kinda annoying trying to get complete at some schools, lol. still, i keep the idea in my head that unlike most people I do have an interest in primary care, and with my knowledge about stuff that the average matriculant doesnt know about (nutrition, pretty much everything related to exercise, preventive care) I use that as my unique quality so to speak. Ive been in a gym setting for ten years and was one of the strongest at my college and I didnt even roid rage. And my 300+ hours working with underpriveleged special needs kids. Most applicants have a unique quality that sets them apart in on way or another, UDs gotta play that up.

Keep in mind that SDN is a very small representation of the population of applicants. Keep your heads up.

my stats are far from amazing too. at this point im just going to hope for the ebst and see what happens really, this process has been kinda annoying trying to get complete at some schools, lol. still, i keep the idea in my head that unlike most people I do have an interest in primary care, and with my knowledge about stuff that the average matriculant doesnt know about (nutrition, pretty much everything related to exercise, preventive care) I use that as my unique quality so to speak. Ive been in a gym setting for ten years and was one of the strongest at my college and I didnt even roid rage. And my 300+ hours working with underpriveleged special needs kids. Most applicants have a unique quality that sets them apart in on way or another, UDs gotta play that up.

+1

Call me crazy, but I think I actually want primary care as well.

I'm 99.9% sure I will be in a primary care field. You can call me crazy and say that my passions will change once I start rotations... but I would put my entire medical school savings on my word.

every time i look (which is often since lately at work i've been on desk duty) i get discouraged

Pretty much everyday.:(

Great motivators.

Last edited:

I swear, man... you make the most relevant threads lol I appreciate this a lot and I'm sure I'm not the only one. From the UD thread, my little formula thing is a 99.something which is a few points higher than the average matriculant but this website makes me feel like such an underdog. You are definitely not alone, bud.

The way I always looked at it is:

1. There are only so many folks that are in the top 10% with really high sats that made us all cringe and wish we were like them.

2. Those high stat folks get interviews first and are wanted by the top (and bottom) schools.

3. You have to remember that they many interview at 10+ schools but can ONLY PICK ONE

4. Once the upper high stat groups makes their choice and pick the school they want to go to, then the other schools hoping to gain that student have to scramble towards the end to start filling their class.

5. THIS IS WHERE THE UNDERDOGS COME IN: There are more of us than them. Just because we weren't the first choice, doesn't make us a bad choice.

6. Medical school is BUSINESS and they want all seats filled to maximize income potential.

7. Medical school is also like the LOTTERY, if you don't get in the first time doesn't mean you will never get in. A lot of it is timing, a great package, and a little luck.

8. DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED. YOU ARE ALL WORTHY. KEEP PLUGGING.:love:

Just look at my stats below: 12 YEARS between undergrad and medical school and I wasn't exactly sitting at home doing nothing.

Last edited:

1. There are only so many folks that are in the top 10% with really high sats that made us all cringe and wish we were like them.

2. Those high stat folks get interviews first and are wanted by the top (and bottom) schools.

3. You have to remember that they many interview at 10+ schools but can ONLY PICK ONE

4. Once the upper high stat groups makes their choice and pick the school they want to go to, then the other schools hoping to gain that student have to scramble towards the end to start filling their class.

5. THIS IS WHERE THE UNDERDOGS COME IN: There are more of us than them. Just because we weren't the first choice, doesn't make us a bad choice.

6. Medical school is BUSINESS and they want all seats filled to maximize income potential.

7. Medical school is also like the LOTTERY, if you don't get in the first time doesn't mean you will never get in. A lot of it is timing, a great package, and a little luck.

Thank you for this! Good luck, everyone! Hopefully in a few months we can all change our statuses to "medical students" :xf:

SDN represents a misleading cross-section of the applicant pool. People who have performed higher on the MCATs or have higher gpas are, on average, more likely to worry excessively about medical school admissions and utilize resources such as SDN.

Take a look at the average numbers for admits or interviews on a school by school basis. They'll be a lot more encouraging.

My stats were mediocre in regards to what tends to be accepted to medical schools (I had below a 3.4 and below a 30) and I still made it in. Whether others want to admit it or not, all of us went through the roller-coaster of hope and despair at some point. Now we're OMS-I's and wishing we had some free time. Keep on truckin' and show 'em what you're made of and you'll find a way in.

Hey ParacrineAgent,

Just wanted to say that LMU-DCOM class of 2016 rocks!

.....but I've got nothing meaningful to add to this post other than that, lol.

Now gotta get back to studying.....first exam in 17 days.

(p.s. I dont even know who you are in my class though :p)

SDN represents a misleading cross-section of the applicant pool. People who have performed higher on the MCATs or have higher gpas are, on average, more likely to worry excessively about medical school admissions and utilize resources such as SDN.

Take a look at the average numbers for admits or interviews on a school by school basis. They'll be a lot more encouraging.

Can you please provide your source for this ;)

don't worry Colesmall! Im in the same boat as you. It just makes me realize that I need to visit the MCAT Q&A thread more than the Interview This Week thread. I am such an underdog =(

Just look at my stats below: 12 YEARS between undergrad and medical school and I wasn't exactly sitting at home doing nothing.

Yeah! Underdogs like you and me can take over the medical school!!!!!!!!!!!!! SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

look at the AZCOM school specific thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=912615&page=6

People were announcing their interviews and posting their stats (mid-30's MCAT, 3.8+ GPA). A lot of people were getting nervous because they felt their stats were way too low, even though AZCOM advertises an average MCAT of 28 and around 3.5ish for GPA. One of the posters is a student there are provided insight from one of the orientations that had just taken place. It's comment #291 from the link above.

The competitiveness of DO schools gets exaggerated on here sometimes. People don't realize that averages include broad ranges of stats, and that some schools are actually becoming a little less competitive anyways.

Most DO schools aren't that difficult to get into especially if you're gpa is a 3.7+.
That being said, plenty of DO schools continue to only get more and more competitive towards low tier MD schools. Though the average DO stats remain low because new DO schools lower it. I.e why DO school averages are bimodal in distribution, not normal.

The competitiveness of DO schools gets exaggerated on here sometimes. People don't realize that averages include broad ranges of stats, and that some schools are actually becoming a little less competitive anyways.

not true.

It would probably be best for you to stay away from SDN.

Keep in mind that SDN is a very small representation of the population of applicants. Keep your heads up.

:thumbup:

This place will make you neurotic if you let it. Walk away before that happens...

I'm in this range, because some of us would be happy with M.D. or D.O.:)