how often do people take the mcat twice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calbears84

professional baller
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how often do people take the mcat twice? and does taking the mcat twice put you into a disadvantage in the minds of med schools?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of people take the MCAT twice. If you can bring your score up the second time, adcoms will like this. If it goes down, this is where taking it twice hurts.

i'm not sure where you can find this, but there are statistics on how many people actually have their scores go UP on the second try...

needless to say, it is VERY difficult to have your score increase, depending on where you started though.

i would think carefully about taking them again bc like suz said, if the scores go down, you'll be screwed.

Members don't see this ad :)
People take the MCAT twice A LOT. As usual, it depends on your goals. I got a 30 and it was not worth it to me to take it again - I am in at IU and SLU. If you got below a 30, I would take it again - you will probably improve if you study hard. I don't think it is accurate to say that it will be difficult to improve (unless you got a 41, in which case you would be crazy to take it again). Anyway - good luck.

I took it twice. <a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002060&p=" target="_blank">Check out this thread.</a>

There are statistics on the aamc website. They tell you specifically how people that received a certain previous score improved. Quite frightening is the fact that not a lot who get in the 10s the first time hype up their scores a lot. I talked with some adcoms and the dean of UCLA about this and they said that if you take it again and improve by two points (which is what most people do), they only expect it. Afterall, several months of extra study, they expect you to improve. Problems arise if you do not or even just stay the same. With a thirty, you have great chances to get into good schools, unless one of your individuals is 7 or so. It is rare to improve by more than two points (if you initially scored in the thirties), and to me, the stress of doing all that over again is just not worth it. The adcoms also mentioned that if you get tens or above, your foot is definitely in their door and they will consider what else you have to offer. Therefore, I would counsel to not hype your stresslevel, but instead focus on what else you have to offer and how you can present it in your favor.

Good luck

The AAMC retesters data can be found <a href="http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/examineedata/tables.htm" target="_blank">here</a>.

Hey, I think it's really common for people to take it twice. I'm not sure about what med schools approve/disapprove or whatever, but I have a friend who had a HUGE increase and got into med school with his 2nd score. The first time he took it, in April, he scored 24 (8, 8, 8). He retook it the following August, and scored 33 (11, 11, 11). I'm sure a med school would look at that and appreciate the fact that you worked a lot harder and scored higher the 2nd time around, and it worked for him. He's in med school now. Good luck!

Many people take the MCAT twice (and quite a few take a three times). I took the MCAT twice. I did badly the first time (V6, P10, B10). Basically, I assumed that I wasn't going to go anywhere. I am such a loser when it comes to standardized tests. But I studied my ass off after that and retook it last April. I then scored a V9, P11, B10. So I improved by a total of 4 points, which isn't so bad. But keep in mind that you must improve drastically the second time around or else it will look bad.

i took the mcat twice and my score went up 9 points . . . the first time i believed i choked because on all the practice exams i was scoring high . . . but then the actual test i pretty much bombed . . . i dont think i would have been accepted anywhere with that score so then i took it again in august and my score shot up. That following year I had 8 interviews . . . and of course im in medical school now . . . so it can be done . . .so dont worry :)

well i guess gemprincess already talked about me so there you have it

•••quote:•••• It is rare to improve by more than two points (if you initially scored in the thirties) •••••Rare, maybe, but definitely not impossible. To encourage those of you who are in the 30s and want a better shot at schools, if you study right and hard, you can definitely improve.

For example, I know about a certain individual who got a 33 in April and then a 37 in August. That person is very likely going to Duke this fall :wink: :) :)

Good luck to everyone on the coming MCAT, it will not be as bad as you may think. Have confidence :)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by crazygop:
•If you got below a 30, I would take it again - you will probably improve if you study hard. I don't think it is accurate to say that it will be difficult to improve.•••••I don't agree with this advice. I see people repeat this over and over, and it's just not correct. Yes, everyone should shoot for that magic 30. But, if you score a 28+ and have a respectable GPA (3.6+), you should have no problem whatsoever getting into a med school. Granted, if you're shooting for a top 20 med school or MD/PhD, you should take it again if you score less than 30. However, if you want to go to any other medical school in the country, it is NOT worth taking it over. If you apply to the right number of schools and still get rejected, there is something else wrong with your application - extracurrics, LORs, etc. Remember, the avg for matriculants is 29-30. It is most definitely possible to get in with a 28+.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a three time MCAT taker and I noticed seeing alot of the same faces each time.

Detroit Mick-
Did your scores go up each time you took the test?

I'll be taking a crack (or krack, to you, Ms. Showee)at it for a second time...and I hope to the good gods that I score higher this time around. I think I will, I don't think it could have gotten any worse.

I feel so less stressed studying for it this time around. I was a nervous wreck and it definitely showed in my physcial sciences. I know what to expect....

I have a semi problem with people who complain about getting 30+ and re-taking it and not having their scores change. I'd kill for a 30, but that's just me. For some people, the higher the score, the better off they feel about getting into a good school, I guess. Some people have to work their booties off for a decent score, while others are just naturally talented with taking standardized tests....I fall into the first category, but my personality makes up for it... :D

Anyway, don't stress and good luck everybody. :rolleyes:

I know for a fact that I will be retaking this test in August if I have no acceptances in this cycle. I scored a 29Q, but the break down was skewed. This stat is at the top of my list with regards to "red flags" on my application.

Obviously, its better to take the MCAT once and do your absolute best on it. If you're worried, one thing a good number of people at my school do is take the MCAT once, void their score, and then take it a second time and use that score. Its a little more expensive but if you're worried about bending under pressure that might be a "safer" way to go. School's won't know about your first attempt.

Obviously, its better to take the MCAT once and do your absolute best on it. If you're worried, one thing a good number of people at my school do is take the MCAT once, void their score, and then take it a second time and use that score. Its a little more expensive but if you're worried about bending under pressure that might be a "safer" way to go. School's won't know about your first attempt.

Hopefully the OP is an attending by now.

lol whaaaat.....how did I not even notice that? This thread was on the first page for some reason >.<

Yeah that happens a lot. Troll threads tend to make the front page, too. :rolleyes: