How often do you guys socialize?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goofy Goober

Certified Nerd
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fellow premeds... How often do you guys socialize, go out, hang out with friends, etc. I thought it'd be interesting to see how other overachieving students spend their time.

Members don't see this ad.

I socialized with my lab mates pre-covid

Reactions: 1 user
It varies, but I have talked to a decent number of people who end up socializing more 'in' med school. When you're in, you're in. When I was a premed, it was mostly weekends, but certainly had to say "no" to a lot of times. The FOMO was real.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
went out most weekends in college until covid lmao.

I have a serious boyfriend I visit on Saturdays. Sundays I go to church with my family in the morning and watch football (see avatar! :) ) with my brother and/or mom in the afternoon.

COVID threw this out the window and I don't get out much anymore.

I have to be careful to plan things carefully so I have time to do these things. It's worth it though. Everyone needs a source of joy in their life and something to look forward to!

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like I socialized an average amount pre-COVID. I'd go to parties maybe twice-ish a quarter, but have a solid group of friends that I could hang out with weekly. I also was involved in a lot of organizations so I'd spend a lot of times with my organizations and hanging out with friends I'd met through those orgs. My closest friends in undergrad who are now my roommates aren't pre-med, and so I think that that's been a fresh of breath air since they aren't as neurotic as my other pre-med friends I have.

Socializing is pretty vague but most of the time I was having fun, 2nd year I was addicted to my console and played 2 hours minimum everyday lol a couple parties a month, clubs freshman year :cautious:, throughout the 3 years I've taken trips to nearby cities for concerts or flew for trips on long weekends, just had to plan ahead on all of these things

Well here in Ohio you can't really socialize since we have a 10 PM curfew. If you're caught out then its a misdemeanor.

Socialize? What is that? Was this covered in sociology?

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I don’t know how to socialize haha

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I socialized a fair bit, almost every other night if not more. The key is to 1) live on campus, because you'll have people to just relax and watch a movie with once in a while right outside your door, minimal effort, 2) have a mix of premed and non friends. I'd study, get lunch with and go to conferences, events with pre med friends which is social but also fairly productive and then do more regular stuff with the nons.

Pre-COVID, I partied probably 2-3 times per week with my friends, and I socialized with someone almost every day (get dinner, watch TV, etc). Since COVID, I've been to a few socially-distant gatherings (like 5 people max) but nothing like my undergrad years haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I partied every weekend and usually hung out with my fraternity brothers most weeknights (pre-covid). Premed is hard but not so hard that you can't have fun

Reactions: 4 users
It varies, but I have talked to a decent number of people who end up socializing more 'in' med school. When you're in, you're in. When I was a premed, it was mostly weekends, but certainly had to say "no" to a lot of times. The FOMO was real.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
The FOMO is very real!

I was in a Greek life frat so too much lol some of my friends went out probs 3-5 days a week. I was far more balanced however

pick two: school sleep socializing - my dark circles speak to my choice

I was in a Greek life frat so too much lol some of my friends went out probs 3-5 days a week. I was far more balanced however

pick two: school sleep socializing - my dark circles speak to my choice
This down to the last part lmao, I think a teacher actually said that to me. No regrets, I actually enjoyed college

Fellow premeds... How often do you guys socialize, go out, hang out with friends, etc. I thought it'd be interesting to see how other overachieving students spend their time.
Study groups, weekends, etc.--it's all about time management

When we were on campus, I would spend time with a friend group almost every other night in one of the study lounges in our dorm building. Sometimes it was just quiet study time for a few hours but they could also devolve into game nights or karaoke and dance parties. I also would try to get lunch and dinner with either someone in that friend group, my roommate, or my friends from class and tended to go out with them every weekend to the city for a concert, movie, or escape room (or just to walk around together since none of us had lived in an urban area before). I wasn’t really the frat party type but I went to one or two.

With COVID, I set up zoom calls with my friends from my old dorm, my clubs and organizations, and old high school friends. I also regularly chat and text with people I’ve met in class online this semester. Pre-med doesn’t mean you can’t have a life and frankly, that’s an incredibly unhealthy mindset to have. We all need at least some fulfilling socialization, and being on this academic track doesn’t exempt you from taking care of yourself. It is perfectly possible to have healthy habits, a decent sleep schedule, good grades, a satisfying social life, a job, and enough ECs to impress any admissions officer; it is a matter of self-discipline and balance that I figure you’ll need in med school or anywhere you go in life.

I remember back in my freshman year, I essentially lived on the floor of my friends dorm because I would get too lazy to walk back to my dorm at 2 a.m. LOL . Classes were pretty easy and we lived on campus so we hung out every single day at all hours as long as we weren't in class. In addition, we pretty much partied 3+ days a week...freshman year was crazy.

Sophomore year things slowed down a lot. A lot of socializing still after we moved into our apartments. Partied maybe once or twice a week and since we lived together we hung around each other quite frequently.

Junior and Senior year...my friends still hangout 2+ times per week and party once a week. As for myself, Junior year I rarely ever saw them and never partied. Basically became a shut-in. Senior year, I see them once a week. Partying got a bit old for me and we do the same thing each week so...eh.

Overall, social life was really good the first two years and then plummeted my last two years.

All the time. I lived with my best friends, and made close friends with people I worked with or participated in research/clubs with. Being premed doesn’t mean spending every waking second in a book, sitting in the library, or stressing about an upcoming exam. The most important thing to learn in undergrad IMO is proper time management. You should be able to find ways to blow off steam without worrying about academics, while also understanding and trusting yourself to put your nose to the grindstone when it’s necessary.

I socialized a bit my freshman year, but after that I was working while going to college, and then I finished my degree while on active duty and married with kids, so most of my college career I was not really in a position to socialize a lot.