How often does NASA employ Medical Officers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoeShmoe44

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there huge gaps between employment opportunities for becoming a NASA flight surgeon? (Couldn't find a section for Aerospace Medicine)

Members don't see this ad.

Most if not all NASA flight surgeons are civilians to my knowledge.

Edit:
I think I misunderstood your question. There are about 10 NASA flight surgeons. I don't know their detailed biographies but my impression is that most, if not all, are Residency in Aerospace Medicine trained and most were military flight surgeons with jet experience.

It does not strike me as an unreasonable goal like pro-athlete, surgeon general, or President but it also does not strike me as a guaranteed career aspiration.

If you're really interested, UTMB has a rotation open to medical students, residents, and attendings that would give you a chance to check it out and get your foot in the door. UTMB would also probably be the RAM program of choice.

Last edited:

Edit:
I think I misunderstood your question. There are about 10 NASA flight surgeons. I don't know their detailed biographies but my impression is that most, if not all, are Residency in Aerospace Medicine trained and most were military flight surgeons with jet experience.

It does not strike me as an unreasonable goal like pro-athlete, surgeon general, or President but it also does not strike me as a guaranteed career aspiration.

If you're really interested, UTMB has a rotation open to medical students, residents, and attendings that would give you a chance to check it out and get your foot in the door. UTMB would also probably be the RAM program of choice.
Thanks for the info

Members don't see this ad :)

Edit:

Would you happen to know how often they employ flight surgeons? As in an opportunity to apply. Is it every year, or just random?

I don't know. I wouldn't think it happens frequently. They have a limited number of positions and those interested enough to make it to those positions are unlikely to be tempted away to another job somewhere else.