How often does the MSAR update?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neurocentric

Очень приятно! :)
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried searching for the answer, but I didn't find what I was looking for.

I want to purchase an MSAR so I can keep up with the medical schools I want to shoot for and see if there are any special requirements I'm missing, but I'm a couple years off of applying (I should be applying in June 2014). Should I purchase one now, or wait? How often do they update their information?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I wait till April of 2014, then, before I purchase one?

I'd say wait. If you asked me the same question last year (when they only had hard copies) I'd say buy one now because the information doesn't change very much from year to year. However, the AAMC decided to employ an expiring annual license for the MSAR (as if they didn't already nickle-and-dime us enough :rolleyes:) so by the time you are ready to apply you'd have to purchase a new license. Therefore, I suggest you hold off until a few months before June of your application year.

yea. you should wait. if you want to take a look at one, your premed advising might have a copy

I'd say wait. If you asked me the same question last year (when they only had hard copies) I'd say buy one now because the information doesn't change very much from year to year. However, the AAMC decided to employ an expiring annual license for the MSAR (as if they didn't already nickle-and-dime us enough :rolleyes:) so by the time you are ready to apply you'd have to purchase a new license. Therefore, I suggest you hold off until a few months before June of your application year.

Wow. I try not to think about all the money I will spend trying to get into medical school, with buying a nice pants suit, the MSAR, the MCAT, applications and secondaries, travelling, etc. But they just don't make it easy, do they? :laugh:

I did check out a couple of the websites for schools I'm interested in, but it'd be easier just to pick up an MSAR, I'm sure. Thanks!