How often should you do verbal passages?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mr chievous

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you that scored 11+, which method maximized your results and prevented burnout?

(I searched SDN to find the methods different people used, and the above 4 seem to be the most popular).

Members don't see this ad.

2-3 passages daily under stricter timing conditions than you are allotted for the official exam.

If you studied for 3-4 months and did 7 passages per day, how would you not run out of quality passages? I am assuming VR sources include only TPR Hyperlearning, EK 101, and AAMC FL's. Of course, if you have passages from other sources then 7+ passages per day could certainly work.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you did 2-3 passages daily, how would that build up your endurance for doing 7 on the real exam?

I did the whole tprh book and all but 3 EK 101s in the last 6 weeks or so. Hardly did any verbal before then.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I did 7 passages a day for about a month straight and ~300 passages total. 1st score was a 6, second score a year later was a 6.

Quantity isn't everything.

2-3 passages daily under stricter timing conditions than you are allotted for the official exam.

What would be appropriate timing conditions then? 6 minutes/passage? 7minutes? When I took the mcat this past August I realized the passages seemed lengthier than normal and I did not feel comfortable with the timing.

What would be appropriate timing conditions then? 6 minutes/passage? 7minutes? When I took the mcat this past August I realized the passages seemed lengthier than normal and I did not feel comfortable with the timing.
While this is something that can only be determined through your own experience, if you can finish passages in 6 minutes with an adequate level of content comprehension and accuracy on the questions, you are in great shape. This is very difficult to do, however. Even if you needed 7 minutes/passage, you would be on pace to finish with plenty of leftover time. It's still difficult to do though.

I personally aim for 7-7.5 minutes per passage. I don't feel as if taking the extra minute or two on the difficult passage/question would have helped me get those few questions correct, so I basically limit myself to 7.5 minutes per.

I did 7 passages a day for about a month straight and ~300 passages total. 1st score was a 6, second score a year later was a 6.

Quantity isn't everything.

I guess you guys can improve. I hate to say this but verbal seems to be that section where you either have it or you don't. I took the MCAT twice, both times VR=9. On all my practice test and passages VR=9,10.:confused: IDK. I think to do really well on verbal you have to change the way you think, and I don't know if thats entirely possible.

I guess you guys can improve. I hate to say this but verbal seems to be that section where you either have it or you don't. I took the MCAT twice, both times VR=9. On all my practice test and passages VR=9,10.:confused: IDK. I think to do really well on verbal you have to change the way you think, and I don't know if thats entirely possible.

Concur. 10 the first time without any prep. 11 the second time with almost 2 books worth of prep

Got 27/40 on my first diagnostic verbal. I think with practice I can get to a 31/40 for the 10. Anything more will be complete luck

I just don't see how to improve on this.

From my experience, verbal initially jumps up a bit after you get familiar with the style/format of the passages and questions, but then kind of stagnates. I went up to a 10 on my second EK 101 and ended the last one with the same score. After a certain point I think practicing verbal is all about maintenance so you don't get rusty, and time is better invested into studying for the science sections.

Sorry to hear that :(

Keep on trying! Verbal is a beast, no doubt.

I tried pretty darn hard. People think I may be ADD. My score was a 14/6/11 (31Q) the second time around after taking a year for it so I am just going to go ahead and apply to MD and DO. I can't wait another year just for the test so I could raise my chances a little. If people are getting flat out rejected from our state MD schools (California) with a 3.9 and MCATs with 10s on the VR then I don't think it's worth it to me to put off another year to raise my chances even a little. My other stats aren't THAT stellar.