How old are the official AAMCs practice tests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrh125

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really wondering how old they are because if they are more than a few years old they might not really be all that representative of the current mcat format and such. How old are they? And for those who have taken the real mcat, Were the official aamcs practice tests pretty accurately representative of the real thing?

Members don't see this ad.

They are old, but they are highly representative of your actual performance. I scored 34-36 on all of the practice tests, ended up with a 35 on the MCAT. Don't fall into the "I scored well but the tests are old so it is meaningless" trap. The MCAT tests your way of thinking much more than it does your general knowledge, and the practice tests are very representative of that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with all. They are not super representative in terms of difficulty but are very representative of your performance (I was 1 pt off of my average AAMC). I took some Kaplan exams, too, but IMO they were way harder than the actual MCAT and not very helpful. Just stressed me out lol.

The AAMC exams listed as "2007" were converted into a CBT format in 2007, but most are older than that. AAMC 3 was from September of 1993. From there it averages to be about two years between each exam that was released (more or less). But despite the age of some exams, they are are still good at predicting a score and giving you an ideal of how the test is laid out. They wouldn't be using them if they didn't offer some utility and predictability.

Reactions: 1 user