How old for PhD programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NHPilot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been a lurker here for awhile, and I want to thank everyone for some great info!

I am 48 y/o and I was wondering if anyone has been accepted (or knows of someone who has been accepted) into a funded clinical PhD program aged around 50 or so?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know someone who was accepted in their late 50s, so it is possible! However, I should warn you that they did run into some problems with ageism, such as certain practica sites would not accept them due to age restrictions!

Good luck!

I've been a lurker here for awhile, and I want to thank everyone for some great info!

I am 48 y/o and I was wondering if anyone has been accepted (or knows of someone who has been accepted) into a funded clinical PhD program aged around 50 or so?

Thanks!

I was accepted at 41, but that's quite a bit younger. It's going to be an uphill battle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually those two answers are better than I expected!

:laugh:

Someone in my cohort is 46 and hasn't really been the subjected to ageism (we've talked about this). He is, however, worried about employment after school. He expressed to me that he felt that academia may not be as welcoming to someone in their 50s. Anyone have any experiences with ageism?

Someone in my cohort is 46 and hasn't really been the subjected to ageism (we've talked about this). He is, however, worried about employment after school. He expressed to me that he felt that academia may not be as welcoming to someone in their 50s. Anyone have any experiences with ageism?
I am very interested in this question also. My interest lies in more in teaching and research as opposed to clinical practice, and I will also be looking toward academia. In part because of the ongoing economic climate and in part because of how I am, I can't picture myself retired. That is a big part of the reason I am taking the path I couldn't take when I was younger. I also had kids late in life, (8 and 6 years old) and when I tell them that they can do whatever they want in life, I want to be able to prove it by example.
While from my point of view, I think I am better than I ever was when I was younger, I am sure that there are others that think I would be taking away a valuable slot from a younger person, while only being able to teach/conduct research half as long.

I read a similar thread on the medical side of the board, and it seemed like the younger folks there pilloried the poor person who asked the question (he was considering psychiatry). At 45, they bluntly informed him that they considered him to old for the degree, and he should just be a nurse.

Needless to say I posted on here with a great deal of trepidation half expecting a similar response. Thanks for the much kinder (and anecdotal) responses!

I read a similar thread on the medical side of the board, and it seemed like the younger folks there pilloried the poor person who asked the question (he was considering psychiatry). At 45, they bluntly informed him that they considered him to old for the degree, and he should just be a nurse.

Wow! %*@^ young people! What jerks. They're probably only saying that to wipe out the competition. Personally, I wish more older/mature people would apply to higher education. I get tired of being around early 20-somethings all the time, and I'm CERTAIN that patients do as well!

Interestingly enough, I have known several people in their 30's or 40's who were interested in academia, and did well on the market. Just an anecdote, but I think some places may prefer the nontraditional candidates to younger, "green" ones. I assumed it was a maturity thing.

I was on the academic job market and I am still in my 20's. I think some people were surprised when they met me and even heard a few comments about how young I was. I don't think that helped, although on some interviews I heard people mention that they looked for all kinds of diversity (age included).

they did run into some problems with ageism, such as certain practica sites would not accept them due to age restrictions!

I'd be interested in hearing more about this...

I'd be interested in hearing more about this...

I don't want to say too much, since I was not directly involved, but it was a federal prison. I am not sure if the individual was above the mandatory retirement age (I am horrible at judging age) or that they were not yet a psychologist and over the initial appointment age:

Public Law 101-509 establishes a mandatory retirement age of fifty-seven for persons in Federal law enforcement positions. The Attorney General has determined that the initial appointment of employees into Federal BOP law enforcement positions must be prior to their 37th birthday, with the following exceptions: Physician Assistant; Medical Officer; Dental Officer; Registered Nurse; Nurse Practitioner; Psychologist; and Catholic, Islamic, and Jewish Chaplains.

There are positions in our Regional and Central Offices and our Training Centers that are not law enforcement, but positions in the institutions are covered by Federal law enforcement retirement.

I don't want to say too much, since I was not directly involved, but it was a federal prison. I am not sure if the individual was above the mandatory retirement age (I am horrible at judging age) or that they were not yet a psychologist and over the initial appointment age:

Public Law 101-509 establishes a mandatory retirement age of fifty-seven for persons in Federal law enforcement positions. The Attorney General has determined that the initial appointment of employees into Federal BOP law enforcement positions must be prior to their 37th birthday, with the following exceptions: Physician Assistant; Medical Officer; Dental Officer; Registered Nurse; Nurse Practitioner; Psychologist; and Catholic, Islamic, and Jewish Chaplains.

There are positions in our Regional and Central Offices and our Training Centers that are not law enforcement, but positions in the institutions are covered by Federal law enforcement retirement.

Huh. Seems like licensed psychologists might be exempted from the initial hiring age limit, but not unlicensed folks on internship? Thanks for posting.