How old is too old?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fossa9

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How old is too old? I am now ending up my second year at a community college. Thus, I won't start my third year until next semester. I am now 28 and will be 29 before I matriculate to my 4-year undergrad school. Because of this I will be 31/32 when I apply to med school; that is if there are no tie-ups. I am married with 2 children. So chances are I won't be applying in exactly 2 years.

Is my age too old for medical school? (I obviously don't believe so) Is there a general consensus on how old is too old? I do know that there are 30+ y/o applying to med schools and getting in. Do the thirty-something's need to have stellar GPA's or other outstanding credentials in order to be accepted? Any thoughts? Thanks. P.S. I am aware of the Osteopathic option, but am not too keen on the whole manipulation thing.

Members don't see this ad.

There are several people in my class who are in their 30s or older. I know one woman in the class ahead of me who is almost 50, works part-time (teaching), and has 4 children (2 are married, one is still in HS, one is 20, but mentally challenged and lives at home). Oh, yes, she's also a single Mom. You can definitely start med school at 31/32/32 etc. I dont know about other people's GPAs and stuff, but I cant imagine that the requirements would be that different. Go for it! :) Good luck

Star

well let me say...I read in the newspaper, that a woman got her bachelors at age 80, her masters at age 84 and her phd at 92...

so in comparison with your age, your just a little baby :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I started med school when I was 34 (I'm 3rd yr now -- now 36), and there's a guy in my class who just turned 61... So I think as long as you are physically and mentally up to the challenge, you're never too old.

Me too...
I'm turning 37 tomorrow and I'm in my 3rd year of med school.

Wow Tonem. My birthday is tomorrow also. I will be 39 and I'm applying this year. In addition, I'm a divorced mother of 5 beautiful children. I have applied to 12 schools and have one interview so far (University of Pittsburgh). My application is not complete at any of the other schools.

Fossa9 you can use your age to your advantange. Many schools are looking for mature students with real life experience. When you apply to med school later in life it is usually because this is really what you want to do rather than what your parents expect of you. I say that you should go for it no matter what age you are.

Im 36 and applying in the spring, Their are students in my graduate class older than me.

Wow! :eek: You all are the greatest. All of you have rekindled my passion for entering med school. Just knowing that I will not be alone in my endeavors is enough for me to keep going full bore towards med school. Thanks so much. :D

Fossa9

"fo' get about it!" I am 38... 39 in January and I'll be applying in June. Maybe Ishould be "Ol Man Bear" instead. And to answer your question, you know your to old for medical school when.....

1. you have to have a nurse follow you around with a defibrillator... just in case.

2. you forget where you put your stethoscope is... and its still in your ears.

3. you feel you have to take ginkoba... just so you remember to take your ginkoba.

Best of luck you young thang you... ;)

Fossa9,

My ex-girlfriend's father was an electrician for 25 years before he decided to become a physician, and he only had a high school diploma. He entered undergrad in his late forties and med school in his early fifties. He is now a phychiatrist. The message? Its never too late. :)

I am 35 now, will be applying next year. I've spoken to several non-traditionals at the med school I hope to attend - they all say "go for it!" I have two previous degrees, a busy career, husband and three kids. I think my time management skills and life experience will be a big help to me in medschool.

BooBooBear, I loved it! 36 and applying next year. Nice to see I'm not alone in my age group!

I'm 34 (I think... I stopped counting when I hit 30 , since I feel like I am still in my 20's) and am applying again this year - I didn't succeed last year - but do beleive I will this year! Good luck!

This is a great thread. It's nice to see that so many "old" people like myself are here.

I'm 31 (almost 32) and applying right now for 2002. So, I'm about the age you'll be Fossa, when you apply. So far, it's worked out pretty well for me. I think I'm better prepared to do this than I would have been at 22.

Good luck to everyone!

I just got word that we will be having are own site soon, that will be cool.

Originally posted by Big Bill:
•I just got word that we will be having are own site soon, that will be cool.•

:eek: Hey that would be great! I can't wait. Good luck to all! :D

That's great we'll get our own site - it's well deserved (and needed!) I'm a 30 year old post bacc student with 2 degrees and a career as a reporter. I'm doing my super intense year of sciences - ochem, bio and phys at the post bacc program at ASU. I commend those young 'uns who are motivated, ambitious and self-aware to know and do this at their age. But, frankly, to stop, drop and roll everything in a new direction (like we're donig) is an entirely different task!
Keep on keepin on!
Freddi