How old will you be when you start medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kstorm

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So if all goes as planned I should be 24 when I start. I know it doesn't make a difference in the long run but I feel a bit old. Does anyone else have this feeling? I am enjoying my time off but wonder if it would've been better to start earlier/graduate earlier.

Members don't see this ad.

HAHA I wish I was 24 and starting medical school... I'll be 29 when I start this year in August!

Reactions: 15 users
8395 days old

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If I take a gap year 21, 2 gap years 22
I am certainly taking 1 though

22... going straight out of undergrad

Reactions: 4 users
recent past chair of board of AMA board of trustees didnt start medical school until she was 35
recent past president of AOA didnt start medical school until she was 28
first african american woman dean of any american medical school started medical at 30 after some years as a school teacher and as a single mom of 2 kids
last few cycles I havent had an advisee younger than 26, most 30 or older
Would you say the older student trend is due to a more competitive admission cycle and greater cost to applying?

Reactions: 1 user
27, my beard's already going grey and I haven't even started medical school

Reactions: 3 users
I was 21. I kind of wish I had taken at least one gap year, I feel like I'm kind of behind a lot of my classmates in terms of having my s*** together.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

If my plan goes ahead without deviation, I should be 25.

I was 25 when I started in August

23 for me. ~60% of medical students matriculate more than a year after graduating by the way!

Also
straight out of undergrad
9O0N2qT.png

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean by that?

I don't have any kind of advanced degree beyond my bachelor's, whereas a lot of my classmates do. I've never had an SO, whereas a lot of my classmates are in serious relationships or are already married. I've had jobs but never a serious, full-time job that allowed me to be financially independent, so I'm just now learning how to support myself. I don't have any particularly interesting life experiences like spending a few years doing research, or travelling extensively, or working in another field.
Don't get me wrong, I love med school and I'm doing just fine. A gap year probably wouldn't have benefited me academically in any way. I just think it would have been beneficial for me to take time off and grow as a person/learn to be independent.

I don't have any kind of advanced degree beyond my bachelor's, whereas a lot of my classmates do. I've never had an SO, whereas a lot of my classmates are in serious relationships or are already married. I've had jobs but never a serious, full-time job that allowed me to be financially independent, so I'm just now learning how to support myself. I don't have any particularly interesting life experiences like spending a few years doing research, or travelling extensively, or working in another field.
Don't get me wrong, I love med school and I'm doing just fine. A gap year probably wouldn't have benefited me academically in any way. I just think it would have been beneficial for me to take time off and grow as a person/learn to be independent.

Ah; Yes, that is one of my influencing factors for taking a gap year. (When it comes in 2 years)
I am going to probably apply to Americorp. I want to live in another state, and experience simplicity and also a personal experiment to see if I can save money on the 900 a month stipend they give you lol.

Would you say the older student trend is due to a more competitive admission cycle and greater cost to applying?

I was 37.

In my case, it was a background of extreme deprivation followed by a few years of goofing off before deciding to get serious and do the thing or else shut up about it. (Actually, I tried for a few years to just shut up about it, but that wasn't working, so here I am.) I think that most non trads have external reasons not to do it. Either they hadn't really considered it an option for one reason or another, or were late in deciding their interest, or had young children, or something else.

Once I decided I was going to do it? Cost and competition were irrelevant. I was going to do whatever it took to get it done.

Application cost isn't anything compared to the cost of getting an undergrad degree, let alone the COA for med school if you get in. Competition only matters if you aren't competitive. Make yourself competitive, and that worry evaporates. Sure, that can take time, but it doesn't have to, as evidenced by all the 22 year olds that get in.

27 to 28 depending on when class begins :) As my wonderful mother once said, "You're going to be 35 either way, so you might as well be a doctor."

Reactions: 14 users
So if all goes as planned I should be 24 when I start. I know it doesn't make a difference in the long run but I feel a bit old. Does anyone else have this feeling? I am enjoying my time off but wonder if it would've been better to start earlier/graduate earlier.

I was 24 too. You won't be old.

I'll be 21, and based on this thread, quite the youngin.

Reactions: 2 users
Assuming I get in after a gap year, I'll be 23. Honestly, that still feels super young!

I'm 24 and a first year. I thought I'd be old before orientation, but I'm actually on the younger side for my class. It's not at all old.

If everything goes well then 32. My goal right now is to be done with residency at 40.

I was 38...sometimes it takes you a long time to figure out what you want to be when you grow up

I'll be 23, obviously not as old as some others here. But I feel more old knowing I won't be making any attending money until I'm at least 30/31. A lot of my friends are engineers, in finance, etc. They're all living it up, while I'm going to be broke and probably miserable for the next several years. So that's something else to think about it.

33 years young! Age is what you make out of it and how you treat it, and a tragedy if you do both poorly.

Maybe 32 or 34.
I've been a mom since 19 and both kids are in school so now I'm going to school.
I won't mind being the older one since I was usually the younger one at parenting activities.
Guess I do things a bit backwards.

Reactions: 14 users
I'll be 22! Having turned 22 right at the start of senior year, I'm used to being the old one amongst my friends (only by ~1 yr but still) so med school will be an interesting change

24. Extremely grateful for the two gap years that I have taken

I started last year at 22 right out of undergrad. Won't be out until I'm like 30 though because MD/PhD.

Reactions: 2 users
I started at 28. Couldn't imagine starting at 21 or 22. I had some AMAZING years prior to medical school and learned a ton about life.

Maybe 32 but I have done a lot in my life already having served in the military and raising a child so I am ok with it. I was able to travel to places like South Korea and Japan while in the military places that I may have never seen otherwise and it was worth it to me.

Accepted at 23, starting at 24. I thought I'd be accepted at 21, but I had to take 2 gap years by the end of it all. Very few students get in right out of undergrad these days.

24 is normal these days. Honestly, I'm glad I didn't get in right away. Gap years help you pull your head together and really consider what you're doing. I'd be a lot less mature if I got in directly after college.

I'll be 36 when I matriculate in the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

26! 4 gap years strong. And wouldn't change a minute of it!

27. Totally worth it.