How Optional is a 2x2 Photograph?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeezy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering. does it look bad if you dont include it? would it look worse if you have a snaggle tooth? seriously, though

Members don't see this ad.

just wondering. does it look bad if you dont include it? would it look worse if you have a snaggle tooth? seriously, though

its exactly 42% optional :rolleyes:

I'd say it is worth the time and money. In my mind if you a missing that its really no big deal, but some might look at it and think that your lazy or that you didn't care enough to do it and think that it would reflect your personality.

Members don't see this ad :)
seriously...it cost me like 32 cents. I applied to four schools that needed one. If you have a digital camera, just have someone take a headshot of u...save it on a cd or usb drive or whatever (you could probably even just take in the camera)...and i just went to cvs, and they size it to 2x2 for you for almost nothing. if you have them take a passport style pic themselves, it's like $8 though. and it seriously took about 5 minutes. just do it, you want to complete everything a school asks of you.

i took mine at home, photoshopped the background and printed it at home on a mediocre printer. looks reasonably good.

Photos are also a way to make you real to the adcom. Without a photo you're just a bunch of info on a page. It's to your advantage to send one if it's optional.

what are your guys' thoughts on sending it to schools that don't ask for one?

Are you horribly unfortunate looking? What is the big deal? I mean, it is kinda funny...3k 2x2 pics to thumb through + the guy that refused to send a photo...

just making sure...do you just put your 2x2 photo in the envelope along with the check for the application fee? or do you send it separately and to a different office or the same admissions office?

Most schools ask for the photo so that they don't mix up everyone's application and so that they can recognize you at the interview...it's not for any aesthetic decision.