How "perfect" do your interviews have to be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

efgih

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey peeps,

I was waitlisted at a school with a higher than average post-interview acceptance rate (at least according to USNWR), and I can't help but think that it was because of my interview at that particular school. I have been thinking about my previous interview performances to see where I might be going wrong. While I do think there are things I can absolutely improve upon, overall I would say that my interview went okay. It was my "worst" interview in comparison to my others, as I didn't really connect with any of the interviewers, and I wasn't as enthusiastic as I could have been. But I don't think I bombed the interview either.

I also am aware of the staircase analogy here, and my stats are above average for that school.

Sooooo, as I am diligently preparing for my future interviews, I can't help but wonder - do my interviews have to be Oscar-worthy for me to be accepted? Or did I just mess up my interview worse than I thought? Or, like all things, was it a combination of a mediocre interview and me not being a "fit" for that school?

Thanks guys <3

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
People are often surprised by their accepts vs rejects, getting into schools they thought they bombed the interview at, and getting waitlist/reject from places they felt the answered well. There have been studies done with actors slipped in among actual applicants with findings that the interviewer variability accounts for something like half of your rating, and as you already mention, a lot of the time your interview won't move you up or down very much and your decision ends up being based on the rest of your app.

So stop worrying about it. Do your best at all interviews of course, but don't read too much into what decisions come from where

Reactions: 9 users
I had one interviewer spend the entire time complimenting me and how awesome my writing/experiences/etc are. She hardly asked any actual questions. Waitlist.

Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
People are often surprised by their accepts vs rejects, getting into schools they thought they bombed the interview at, and getting waitlist/reject from places they felt the answered well. There have been studies done with actors slipped in among actual applicants with findings that the interviewer variability accounts for something like half of your rating, and as you already mention, a lot of the time your interview won't move you up or down very much and your decision ends up being based on the rest of your app.

So stop worrying about it. Do your best at all interviews of course, but don't read too much into what decisions come from where
right on point. goes for other health professional schools as well...your interview is more to see what kind of person you are and just quench their curiosity about the person behind the stats. That's it.

Reactions: 2 users

This also has to do with the fact that some people tend to think they gave great answers when in fact they were mediocre and vice versa. It's hard to gauge the strength of one's own answers and how the interviewer will respond to it. Mock interviews are helpful, but it's still hard to get a good sense of how you come across in a high-pressure setting.

Reactions: 1 user
I had one interviewer spend the entire time complimenting me and how awesome my writing/experiences/etc are. She hardly asked any actual questions. Waitlist.
They want you to compliment the school. .

I'm pretty annoyed about this actually. Could be a tinge of bitterness, but I don't feel that I was asked nearly anything that allowed me to demonstrate why I should get into medical school.
I had a similar interviewer and I a sense I as going to get waitlisted. I started changing the conversation to why I was a good fit for the school. I think it worked.

I imagine if you are a decent interviewer, you can assume at least part of it is due to fit.

I interview at a school and was waitlisted... few days later I was accepted at another school that I liked SO much better. Considering I loved the second school and was just OK with the first, it makes sense.... we were likely not a fit for each other.

Of course it's good to reflect upon your performance and find ways to improve, which it sounds like you are doing, but no one's interview is ever going to be perfect.
Thank you. I think the maddening thing is this nebulous concept of "fit", and because we don't know what they're looking for naturally we start to doubt ourselves if outcomes aren't good. But congrats on your acceptance!!!

Reactions: 1 users

Thank you for the reassuring words. I suppose I am just hyper-rationalizing why I might have been waitlisted, but there's nothing I can do about it now, apart from doing better on the next interviews. Cheers!

Hah I totally feel you. Had one interviewer literally tell me how perfect of a fit I was and what an honor it was to meet me and such at the end...it was to the point where I felt a little embarrassed. The guy seemed super optimistic, though, so could be that he says that to every applicant. Hoping to have a good outcome!

Members don't see this ad :)
Defintiely n=1 here, but I had 5 interviews. The three I felt went well turned into acceptances, and the two I walked out of feeling so-so = WL.

A wise sage once said "Just don't let your interview be the reason they say no thanks."

I don't think it moves you up or down very much. One of my interviewers told me the reason they interview is to weed out the outliers (far left or right)(autobots). Realize that they interview the top 10-15% of applicants. Unless you unleash a bomb during the interview or suck at being a human being, then you're golden. Like someone else said, the "fit" of the school may be a contributing factor and that's difficult to gauge for sure.

Reactions: 3 users
A wise sage once said "Just don't let your interview be the reason they say no thanks."

I don't think it moves you up or down very much. One of my interviewers told me the reason they interview is to weed out the outliers (far left or right)(autobots). Realize that they interview the top 10-15% of applicants. Unless you unleash a bomb during the interview or suck at being a human being, then you're golden. Like someone else said, the "fit" of the school may be a contributing factor and that's difficult to gauge for sure.

aw mannnn, I was hoping the interview would be my best chance to give them my eugenics speech....

Reactions: 4 users
Kinda random, but how similar is a job interview vs a medical school interview. I do well in most of my job interviews (based on offers) but I got WL on my first school I interviewed at. Im trying to figure out if it's my communication abilities at my med interviews, I just wasn't a good fit, or I'm just socially ******ed. o_O

I thought my first interview was kinda awful. Didn't connect with one of my interviewers, thought my answers were rambly, or all over the place, then I froze up for a bit when was asked some bioethics kinda questions... still accepted tho :eek: I also interviewed waaaay early in the cycle so I wonder if I had more room for error.

I've found that it actually takes some talent to bomb an interview. So, to answer your question, you don't have to be perfect, merely don't be "meh".

Most people are terrible judges of their interviews.

Go read my post on "guide to interviews" for some tips.

Hey peeps,

I was waitlisted at a school with a higher than average post-interview acceptance rate (at least according to USNWR), and I can't help but think that it was because of my interview at that particular school. I have been thinking about my previous interview performances to see where I might be going wrong. While I do think there are things I can absolutely improve upon, overall I would say that my interview went okay. It was my "worst" interview in comparison to my others, as I didn't really connect with any of the other interviewers, and I wasn't as enthusiastic as I could have been. But I don't think I bombed the interview either.

I also am aware of the staircase analogy here, and my stats are above average for that school.

Sooooo, as I am diligently preparing for my future interviews, I can't help but wonder - do my interviews have to be Oscar-worthy for me to be accepted? Or did I just mess up my interview worse than I thought? Or, like all things, was it a combination of a mediocre interview and me not being a "fit" for that school?

Thanks guys <3

Kinda random, but how similar is a job interview vs a medical school interview. I do well in most of my job interviews (based on offers) but I got WL on my first school I interviewed at. Im trying to figure out if it's my communication abilities at my med interviews, I just wasn't a good fit, or I'm just socially ******ed. o_O
Haha same thought processes here. I have been going around to my friends and asking "BE HONEST WITH ME HOMIE AM I ACTUALLY SOCIALLY AWKWARD???"

Reactions: 2 users
I've found that it actually takes some talent to bomb an interview. So, to answer your question, you don't have to be perfect, merely don't be "meh".

Most people are terrible judges of their interviews.

Go read my post on "guide to interviews" for some tips.
Thank you Goro. I have read your guide and it was helpful. Gonna re-read it again this weekend and watch some videos to prepare. Cheers!

Is it wise to send a follow-up email with your interviewers on areas of improvement during interviews?

Right, but it's really about my future interviews so that I can make sure not to make any of the same mistakes.

Oh I thought you meant to clarify things you said in your interview.

In this case, na, because this is really not their job/problem.

Is it wise to send a follow-up email with your interviewers on areas of improvement during interviews?
It's a nice thing to do, but in reality only 40-50% of premeds send follow up emails. It's definitely nice to say thank you, but from the research I've done, it doesn't hurt or help your chances of acceptance.

It's a nice thing to do, but in reality only 40-50% of premeds send follow up emails. It's definitely nice to say thank you, but from the research I've done, it doesn't hurt or help your chances of acceptance.

I've already done the thank you follow-up. Im asking for whether it would be OK to ask my interviewers on areas of improvement with regards to interviewing skills.

Has anyone had meh MMI experiences and still gain an acceptance? Currently on my mind 24/7.

Has anyone had meh MMI experiences and still gain an acceptance? Currently on my mind 24/7.

I definitely effed up 1 of the MMI questions at WMed and still got in.

I definitely effed up 1 of the MMI questions at WMed and still got in.

Nice, but probably not as applicable to my situation since is seems that many schools drop the lowest score, which may have been your case. I'm waiting on a decision from a school where I felt terrible coming out of one station, and meh coming out of two other stations (to be fair, many other interviewees felt the same way about those latter two stations.)

Out of 8 stations, I was a complete and utter train wreck in one scenario (I even looked at my evaluator at one point and expressed a faint "oh dear.") and at least one other station was meh.

My other six stations went, from my perspective, pretty well, but the one station went so badly I thought I was sunk. Result: acceptance

And N=1 but I had a traditional interview where my interviewer told me flat out I did a stellar job and I still ended up rejected......YMMV!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think a good method would be to rate your individual interviews on a scale from 1 to 5, where 5 is a perfect performance, 4 is good, and 3 is "meh". You need at least an average of a 4 to get in. So having one good interview and one "meh" interview won't cut it, but having one amazing interview and one "meh" interview will.

I think a good method would be to rate your individual interviews on a scale from 1 to 5, where 5 is a perfect performance, 4 is good, and 3 is "meh". You need at least an average of a 4 to get in. So having one good interview and one "meh" interview won't cut it, but having one amazing interview and one "meh" interview will.

Well then.. good bye number 1 choice.

People who I've interviewed (and also based on other committee members feedback) fall into a couple categories:

1) Average overall = accepted

2) Trying too hard to impress = rambling a lot = probably accepted if early in cycle and rest of app is good

3) When we ask "do you have any questions" --> they end up asking like 5 or 6 questions or more = negative feedback from me and others

4) Socially incompetent = rejected or waitlist at best

Do your best to be in the first category.

I've already done the thank you follow-up. Im asking for whether it would be OK to ask my interviewers on areas of improvement with regards to interviewing skills.

No. I feel that this would come across as you trying to fish them for adcom decisions or "feel." It would come across negatively...and it's not their job anyway.

There was one school where I had two 30 minute interviews. The first one went well, but i was a bit nervous. I was stuttering a bit. The second one was terrible.

The second guy literally berated my applications. He criticized me for not having all 15 EC sections filled. He said my research was not enough. He told me to prepare for a gap year. He even gave me his email and phone number to use for help in regards to managing my impending gap year. I was so shaken that I could not talk. I could not even make eye contact. My mouth was so dry. I spent that entire interview fiddling with my pen and looking down. It was a challenge to maintain composure. It was the worst interview experience i ever had. I probably gave the worst impression out there to the interviewer.

Yet somehow.... on October 17th, that same school called and said i was accepted, and that I was even given a half-tuition scholarship to attend there.

Life can be so strange sometimes, my friend.

Reactions: 8 users
There was one school where I had two 30 minute interviews. The first one went well, but i was a bit nervous. I was stuttering a bit. The second one was terrible.

The second guy literally berated my applications. He criticized me for not having all 15 EC sections filled. He said my research was not enough. He told me to prepare for a gap year. He even gave me his email and phone number to use for help in regards to managing my impending gap year. I was so shaken that I could not talk. I could not even make eye contact. My mouth was so dry. I spent that entire interview fiddling with my pen and looking down. It was a challenge to maintain composure. It was the worst interview experience i ever had. I probably gave the worst impression out there to the interviewer.

Yet somehow.... on October 17th, that same school called and said i was accepted, and that I was even given a half-tuition scholarship to attend there.

That might have been a stress interview!! Either way congrats on your great cycle :)

That might have been a stress interview!! Either way congrats on your great cycle :)
That's what i figured a few days later. Though this school isn't known for doing stress interviews, according to the interview feedback page. Even if it was a stress interview, i'm fairly positive I did not handle the "stress" very effectively. It was all very painful to hear.

Lol this is painfully funny to read

There's no formula to acing the interview. General advice would be to be personable, stay on topic, be pleasant, and don't be uncomfortable to be around. As has been said, applicants usually are terrible judges of their own interview performance. Don't try to pin down "the one thing you could have done better" or whatever because you have no idea of knowing what that might be or if it was even related to your interview at all. What matters most is your overall application (including your interview).

People who I've interviewed (and also based on other committee members feedback) fall into a couple categories:

1) Average overall = accepted

2) Trying too hard to impress = rambling a lot = probably accepted if early in cycle and rest of app is good

3) When we ask "do you have any questions" --> they end up asking like 5 or 6 questions or more = negative feedback from me and others

4) Socially incompetent = rejected or waitlist at best

Do your best to be in the first category.
Wait, asking a lot of questions is considered a bad thing? I thought it conveys a lot of interest in their school...

Wait, asking a lot of questions is considered a bad thing? I thought it conveys a lot of interest in their school...

Asking one or two thoughtful questions shows interest and that you've been researching the school. Asking five or six can show that you don't grasp when you're annoying someone and possibly haven't done any research on your own.

Sooooo had an interview today, and went really well, but there was one question asked where it was really unclear...so I said "I think you're getting at x", and then answered. The guy looks at me and says, yeah, you kinda answered my question. Am I screwed???

I got into a school where one of my interviews felt kinda awkward and in the other one I straight up couldn't come up with an answer to one of the questions and just looked around the room until my interviewer decided to change the subject. Alternatively, I was waitlisted at a school where I thought I had 2 really great interviews. There's no way to tell if/how every little part of your interview performance will play a significant role in the decision. On the bright side, I have since stopped over-analyzing my interview performance which makes waiting for a decision a little less painful. Edit: And for anyone who is curious, the schools were similarly ranked, had similar post-interview acceptance rates, etc.

Reactions: 4 users
3) When we ask "do you have any questions" --> they end up asking like 5 or 6 questions or more = negative feedback from me and others.

Why does it matter how many questions they ask, as long as they are respectful of time constraints?

I thought I rambled and/or bombed on half of my MMI questions. I kind of wrote off the possibility of getting accepted at that school after how badly I thought it went. Lo and behold, that school was my first acceptance.
Would you mind sharing what school

It's like a girl fishing for compliments- she wanted you to say what was nice about her school or why you thought it was special. It seemed like it was about you, but it was about the school trying to figure out how into yourself you were versus into the school.

My hardest and worst interview performance was at a school I didn't care for (applied as a safety and went into it with acceptances). I underestimated the interview and stumbled, shuddered, and list my train of thought a lot. Sounded like an idiot. Accepted literally two days later. I think as long as you're not a sociopath you're good.... depending on the rest of your app of course.

My hardest and worst interview performance was at a school I didn't care for (applied as a safety and went into it with acceptances). I underestimated the interview and stumbled, shuddered, and list my train of thought a lot. Sounded like an idiot. Accepted literally two days later. I think as long as you're not a sociopath you're good.... depending on the rest of your app of course.
would you mind sharing what school