How political are ADCOMS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevin Baker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I am about to get a job at an abortion clinic. I think this will be an awesome clinical experiences but was wondering whether or not to leave this off of my app for all schools, some targeted schools, or no schools. If I had to guess, I assume it'd be best to leave it off at the more religious schools, and maybe some southern schools, but I am shooting in the dark here.

Members don't see this ad.

this is too risky, IMO. let me know how it goes.

Hey, So I have worked in an abortion clinic for four years and I was advised to just find a different way to talk about it. Like refer to it as a reproductive health clinic or something of that sort (chances are your clinic does more than simply just provide abortions to begin with). My mentor told me that it is way too risky when sometimes all it takes is one anti-choice person to look at your application and pitch it because of something like this, so while it is important to highlight your clinical experience, you need to find different ways to talk about it. This is sad, but unfortunately the truth...

Members don't see this ad :)
Adcoms r just as political about these issues as u or me. Some may be for it , some may be against it, and others may not give a rats ass. But u never know which one of those will be reading ur app

If the interviewer is left wing, just tell the truth.
If the interviewer is right wing, just say you were picketing and throwing eggs at the clinic.

Hey, So I have worked in an abortion clinic for four years and I was advised to just find a different way to talk about it. Like refer to it as a reproductive health clinic or something of that sort (chances are your clinic does more than simply just provide abortions to begin with). My mentor told me that it is way too risky when sometimes all it takes is one anti-choice person to look at your application and pitch it because of something like this, so while it is important to highlight your clinical experience, you need to find different ways to talk about it. This is sad, but unfortunately the truth...

:thumbup: Solid advice. Maybe put the name of the clinic and your patient care responsibilities. I'd avoid the word abortion at all costs though.

I faced a situation somewhat similar to this because I had worked as a campaign intern for a libertarian candidate in a gubernatorial election. Many interviewers seemed to be very curious about this job - to the extent that discussion about it dominated some of the interviews - and I ultimately wasn't sure if this was a good or bad thing. It was very difficult to tell how the interviewers actually felt about it. Some of them asked me to explain libertarianism to them, and I got the (unfortunate) impression that many of these interviewers didn't like the sound of libertarianism once they understood it a bit better. Worst of all, it seemed like most of the interviews that had involved heavy discussion of libertarian politics resulted in me being waitlisted.

What seemed to work better for me was to emphasize what I did at the job rather than the politics involved. For instance, if you do decide to list this on your CV and you run into interviewers who want to talk politics, give them a brief/unoffensive answer about your views and redirect the interview towards what you did on the job.