1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

How portable are radiologists? Can you move around and change jobs every few years?

Discussion in 'Radiology' started by medder, Aug 2, 2006.

1. medder

medder Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am very interested in radiology, and I am also very interested in living around the US during my career. Do these interests conflict? It seems that radiologists would be the most mobile of all the specialties, especially with the advent of teli-radiology.

Opinions? Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. anconeus

anconeus Member
    5+ Year Member

Definetely the best career choice if you want to move around... Although a lot of other fields offer locum tenens positions, I think radiology is the only field that offers a distant possibility of sitting on a cruiseship with a laptop and dictating.

4. f_w

f_w 1K Member
    5+ Year Member

Actually, the majority of rads switch jobs maybe 2 times until they find a stable and equitable group that offers good income potential. Once they make partner, they tend not to move.

All the 'mobile' jobs like locums and employee positions are financially not attractive (long term) when compared with the real deal.

But yes, you are somewhat more mobile. For the most part, you don't have to build up a patient base. If you are doing a subspecialty, you do build up a referral base, moving around is not beneficial in that respect.

5. p53

p53 ****** for F******
    10+ Year Member

Let's see how mobile you would like to be after finishing up medical school and doing 5 years of radiology residency. Tie that with the fact that you will likely have a wife and family 10 years from now.

Odds you will have the same interest in moving around the US 10 years from now.....1/100.

6. p53

p53 ****** for F******
    10+ Year Member

Not even in medical school?

odds.....just jumped up to 1/10000.

Don't you just love pre-meds asking career advice about radiology "because they are very interested" even before being accepted to medical school?

Now I know where this misconception that radiology is a "lifestyle" specialty originates...........................................Pre-Med Clubs.....