How positive is it to hear this from my interviewers? I'm wondering if it means anything significant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boltedbicorne

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In every interview i've been to when they asked the "Why <this school question?>") every interview has told me that I've definitely done my research well after I answered. How significant of a positive thing is this from an interviewer's perspective? I mean it's not like the interviewer is telling me i'm accepted, but still

Members don't see this ad.

In every interview i've been to when they asked the "Why <this school question?>") every interview has told me that I've definitely done my research well after I answered. How significant of a positive thing is this from an interviewer's perspective? I mean it's not like the interviewer is telling me i'm accepted, but still
Depends on your p-value.

Reactions: 6 users
statistics humor is literally the bottom of the barrel.

Members don't see this ad :)
From my experience and what I have seen in other individuals, there is very little if any correlation between the response you receive from your interviewer and the resultant decision of the admissions committee on your application. Interviews are only a small piece of a very large application, even a glowing review does not guarantee admission. This is especially true since many interviewers do not sit on the admissions committee. I've had very tense, uneasy interviews that resulted in acceptances and very positive, "can't wait to see you here in the fall" interviews that resulted in waitlists.

statistics humor is literally the bottom of the barrel.

Don't be so tense.

Reactions: 2 users
It means you've done exactly what you were supposed to do, and this is always good. It's some + points on your behalf for the interviewer to take to the adcom meeting.

Reactions: 2 users