Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

How prestigous is Americorps?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by taylor9999, May 2, 2004.

1. taylor9999

taylor9999 New Member

How will medschools look at volunteering for americorps.
    any suggestions are appreciated.

thanks,
    lee

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    personaly I think you should volunteer for Americorps because you actually want to make a different, not because it is 'prestigious' in the eyes of an admissions committee. Besides, you'll hate what you're doing if you're hearts not into it.

4. Megalofyia

Megalofyia 425 lbs and growing
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If your not really into volunteering you may want to consider doing research for a year. you don't HAVE to have volunteering to get into med school they just like it if you have it.

The reality is it doesn't matter how prestigious your volunteering is so much as what you get out of it. Working in a soup kitchen, teaching kids to read, cleaning up after patients are prestigious if you make them that way.

5. taylor9999

taylor9999 New Member

of course I want to volunteer, otherwise I wouldn't do it. but, i want to know how it will be viewed.

6. kinetic

kinetic Membership Revoked
    Removed

Is this guy thick or what?

7. Newquagmire

15+ Year Member

i've heard it's viewed just fine from at least one admin. i'm not sure i would call it "prestigious," but it is a very well known organization, albeit in a little financial trouble.

8. kinetic

Removed

You'll fit right in with Americorps. After all, you're a guy who wants to volunteer, but only if people look well upon it. And they're a "volunteer" organization that pays it's "volunteers".

9. ventulus18

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    if you're aware that you're applying to medical school there isn't anything wrong with trying to improve your application. everybody knows volunteering is a great way to show interest in the community and/or medical field. people pick harder classes in light of how they will be viewed by admissions committees. if somebody wants to volunteer nobody should be a judge of their motivation.

10. uhhuh

uhhuh Member
    7+ Year Member

quite possibly the very first time I've ever seen americorps and prestigous used in the same sentence

11. ventulus18

Attending Physician
  12. kinetic

Removed

Um, were you raised by hippies? When people VOLUNTEER, they are by definition doing so for no gain. Because of that, there is admiration linked to the concept of VOLUNTEERING. So if you VOLUNTEER solely to cull said admiration (i.e., doing so for nefarious reasons in order to profit) you are a DOUCHEBAG and ROYAL TOOL.

And joining Americorps as a VOLUNTEER is laughable because you're getting PAID. Maybe I should call myself a VOLUNTEER at my own job, right? I get a salary and all, but that's irrelevant.

13. UseUrHeadFred

UseUrHeadFred Oh no! It's a Wumpus!
    5+ Year Member

The entire reason med schools like to see volunteer work is because they feel physicians should understand the need for providing services to the community without need of reimbursement. Nothing, at all, to do with prestige. You could volunteer to help a local recycling program, it doesn't matter as long as you're giving to the community.

14. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios
    7+ Year Member

I missed the boat on this one, but I too would have to say I have never heard of someone asking if a volunteer program is prestigious. Ah the wonders of SDN.

15. kinetic

Removed

I heard that admissions committees look VERY favorably on people who have undergone organ donation. And by the way, kidneys are for chumps. Go for a partial liver. And sell it on E-Bay cuz "daddy gots ta gets paid!"

16. Goober

Goober Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I once read in one of those "how to get into med school" books that if playing the tuba was highly thought of by adcoms, 99% of premeds would learn how to play the tuba. I use to think that kind of stuff was a joke, but now I am not so sure. :smuggrin:

17. ventulus18

Attending Physician
    To answer your question, yes, you should call yourself a volunteer. You volunteered to make yourself look foolish and ignorant. Volunteer firefighters in my town receive a retirement pension. My friend that works for americorps receives a tax-free stipend that barely is enough to cover her monthly rent. Heck, if you volunteer at the local hospital they even encourage you to take one free caf lunch on the house! whoo hoo! These are meanial compensations, not meant as incentives, to provide non-monitery gratitude for their services.

Almost everybody volunteers at a hospital or other clinical setting KNOWING that this is looked upon favorably by admissions committees. Is this the sole reason why they do it? Would these people still volunteer if the admissions committees didnt even know or care? Is there something to be gained from a "required" volunteer experience? On the same token, is a useful service provided as a result of such?

Perhaps the only thing that is "laughable" is your disregard for the volunteer services of others.

In light of your comments, I feel that in order to stay true to your definition of volunteering, you should do so somewhere far away where nobody will ever find out about it. Just make sure you don't tell anybody either. :idea:

18. kinetic

Removed

My dictionary defines volunteering as "To do charitable or helpful work without pay." To say that I'm foolish and ignorant because YOU base your definitions on faulty logic (i.e., my friend gets a small stipend and since it is so small it really doesn't even count as getting paid) shows where your head is at.

And say I'll GRANT you that volunteerism has been debased into "minimally paid work" for the purposes of discussion. The volunteer firefighters do so NOT because they are drooling for a pension (do you think their first question is "how much do I get paid when I retire?") - they do it because they want to help people. The OP here clearly was looking for a benefit FIRST and FOREMOST, which - regardless of any other circumstance - negates the spirit of volunteerism in my book.

Ah, how much volunteer work do you think I've done, chump? Do you know? Maybe you don't because I don't run around bragging about it for admiration. Of course, you wouldn't know what that was like. All you can do is tell people to move far, far away - that's a great way to show that I'M the one who is immature! You sure are intelligent and it was fun (and ridiculously easy) to pick apart your post!

19. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

I think that everyone here should hop off of their high horse. Volunteer service is a very important element to medical school admissions, and because of it most pre-meds do lots of it just to get into medical school. Most of them would not do it, or at least much of it, if it were not an unwritten requirement.

It sucks that you have to volunteer to get enough volunteer time to put on your med school app. But you do. Most of those that don't have a hard time getting in. Not all, mind you, but most.

To the OP, you are right to evaluate how you spend your time. If you want to volunteer also want to go to medical school, you should tailor your time to one of two things: something that you are really passionate about or something that will best help get you into medical school.

20. kinetic

Removed

Well, I guess rationalizing is OK then.

21. no-see-um

no-see-um Bindaas
    5+ Year Member

What ever happened to doing good things for their intrinsic value?

I think medical schools, by promoting volunteer work as a necessary in many cases, makes volunteering a game where good deeds are mostly done for extrinsic value.

Do it because you want to do it. If you're asking how 'they' will look at it, then I urge you to ask yourself, "who are 'they'?"

22. UseUrHeadFred

5+ Year Member

While certainly true, this statement is unfortunate. In my mind a person who volunteers truly because of the good it does, and not for personal gain in the classical sense, is worthy of envy.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of those who went before you. Seek what they sought."

23. kinetic

Removed

Apparently, you need to "get off your high horse" and "get real". People like you "don't get it". And you may need to take your "values" and move far, far away from everyone else. That's what I got out of this thread.

(By the way, it's nice to meet someone who actually believes in honoring the spirit of volunteerism.)

24. kinetic

Removed

You also need to "grow up" and "get with it". I don't know why people like you even bother. ;)

25. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer

Attending Physician
    The pay of Americorps is negligable.

26. kinetic

Removed

Like I said to ventulus18, that's faulty logic. To say that "I'm a volunteer because I get paid so little that it's like not even getting paid at all" is silly. I don't mind if they get paid, just stop saying you are volunteering - which has a different connotation altogether. (And by the way, anything that covers rent - which is what ventulus18 says, not me - is pretty damn good in my book.)

27. Cerberus

Attending Physician
    Well, i'm afraid many people dont have trust funds to live off of while they go off to premed camp or "volunteering" in Africa.

28. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios
    7+ Year Member

What is it?

29. Cerberus

Attending Physician
    $4,725 a year towards college debt plus "a modest" living allowance (read: barely enough to pay rent and eat), I think it depends on your location as to the actual amount though.

30. kinetic

Removed

Yes, that logic makes even more sense. I must be some wealthy - and most likely white Monopoly-looking monocled - kid. First of all, I'm not rich - I'm po' (like they say on South Park). Second of all, I wouldn't be ashamed of being rich - why apologize for earning a lot of money by working hard? I guess I should be naked and filthy in the streets living in a homeless shelter to earn some respect from you, right? (I never get liberal class warfare, but it sure is funny.) Third of all, that's a very intellectually lazy way of thinking - everyone who doesn't agree with my lax rationalization must be rich and living off a trust fund.

31. ventulus18

Attending Physician
    cerb this guys is a riot. angry and wound tight like a rubberband, bad combo :laugh:

32. Cerberus

Attending Physician
    Heres an idea, why dont you just make yourself look like a ****ing moron and completely miss the point of my point.

What I am saying is that Americorps is volunteering because unless you are wealthy or from a wealthy family chances are you are going to need some form of assistance if you are going to spend a year working for free. You will not make money off of Americorps, you probably will be about as poor as you were in college.

and where the **** did you get the "class warefare" bs? There is no reason to be ashamed of being wealthy, but there sure as hell is no reason to be proud of it if your wealth comes from your parents hardwork.

33. sacc

sacc Member
    7+ Year Member

I've to agree with JBJ on this. In a perfect world people would spend 10 hours a week volunteering in order to aid their fellow man but thats obviously not a realty we currently live in.

Also, while I think that the OP asked the question poorly, I dont think he should be flamed just because he wants to know whether or not ADCOMS might look favorably upon a certain activity he might undertake in order to improve his chances for med school.

Kinetic, if your going to live your life by dictionary definitions of ideas your going to have a hard time of it.

btw-douchebag? its been a while since I've heard that one...

34. kinetic

Removed

Well, first of all, don't blame me because I read your post. If you had been more explicit the first time, I wouldn't have misinterpreted your post.

Second of all, I agree that non-wealthy people can't live without income for a year. But that's the fault of the format of Peace Corps/Americorps. If you say "if you want to volunteer, it has to be for a year or even three years" then you open yourself up to having to pay for "volunteers". Also, read my prior posts. More than disagreeing with the "getting paid" part I disagree with the mentality of this thread.

And ventulus18, yes I must be "angry and wound tight like a rubberband" since I disagree with you and actually post comments that aren't composed entirely of childish insults. Versus you, who just pop up and say "you suck!" and then run away. You smarty, you!

35. kinetic

Removed

It's never wrong to pull out a classic.

36. ventulus18

Attending Physician
    im a big fan of ROYAL TOOL. and yes, my parents are hippies

37. kinetic

Removed

Suspicions confirmed. As usual.

38. sacc

sacc Member
    7+ Year Member

Here's a classic for you:

re?al?i?ty:

1. The quality or state of being actual or true.

Try living in it. You might be less prone to attack people looking for advice.

39. kinetic

Removed

How I can I not live in reality, as it is the state of being true?

Didn't you tell me that I would have a hard time of it if I tried living by dictionary definitions? And then you turn around and tell me to live by a definition?

If you only want positive feedback, talk to Paula Abdul or Dear Abby. Sorry if I tells it like I sees it.

40. sacc

sacc Member
    7+ Year Member

Yea I did tell you not live life as such, but I didn't think you'd change so quickly. If you have, then ignore my previous post and congratulations.

41. kinetic

Removed

Um, actually, you're the one who changed. Note that you're the one who adapted to my way of thinking by relying on a definition to prove a point. Congratulations.

42. ventulus18

Attending Physician
    put on a happy face for me pleeeeeeease :D :laugh: :D

43. UseUrHeadFred

5+ Year Member

Look, I don't know why everyone is flaming in here. Name calling isn't a good idea anywhere in life, even in an anonymous forum. (I can hear the flames coming now)

The fact is, if medical schools didn't look favorably upon volunteerism, most pre-meds wouldn't do it. That is a bad thing. In my opinion, a good physician is willing to donate services to those in need. This truly requires the "help others" mentality that many lay claim to but few possess. Like it or not, physicians responsibilities include being a catalyst for social good.

On the other hand, why do most people (i.e., not pre-meds) volunteer? I have a hard time believing it's for explicit personal gain. So the mentalitiy exists, just not in many of the more egocentric pre-meds.

44. kinetic

Removed

Agreed. I'm just pointing out that this type of action does not count as volunteerism in my book.

45. bella_dottoressa

bella_dottoressa make it happen
    7+ Year Member

i work for Jumpstart which is an Americorps organization...I get paid $8.90/hr and get a $1000 education award at the end of completing my year long term. i dont know, but for me and what i do this aint bad.

i didnt follow this thread and i know i'm going to get some backlash for this but seriously I don't think the OP was wrong at all to ask such a question. i have a great time at all my volunteer gigs, i really do. i've gotten alot out of most all of them, and i do like serving others and feel a real call towards it. but come on, there are things people do to get into med. this has been said time and time again. you do what it takes to get into med and that often times involves doing stuff you wouldn't do if you werent premed. the OP is smart to realize that med is a game and playing it well is your best bet at getting in; unfortunately, doing extracurric things that fit whatever notion it is we have of impressive is one of those moves.

46. 10minutes

10minutes M.D.Candidate
    5+ Year Member

Before you actually start volunteering, you really have no idea how such experiences woud be like. Hell, at first when I began volunteering, I did it just because I was a premed. When I began tutoring my fellow students, I did it just for the money. However, as you go through each of these experiences, you learn things. I've learned how priceless your volunteering work can be for others, how great it feels to help fellow struggling students with their math. If you feel like you don't want to do it after trying for a few weeks, don't do it. If you think it's no fun but you NEED to do it for whatever reasons, then do it. You still make contributions to our much needed society. Whether your motivation is great or not, people will be happy to get your help.

47. kinetic

Removed

Yes, basically we are debating if the ends justify the means.

Do people do things in order to get into medical school that they otherwise would not? Yes.

Does that make it right? I guess it does if you don't care about underlying motivations. But I think that's just as important as the endpoint. Are you just as good a person if you do something because someone has a gun to your head as someone who does it willingly? Nope.

Does the "everyone does it so that makes it OK" argument work for you? Maybe it does, but in my opinion it shouldn't.

48. flighterdoc

flighterdoc Rocket Scientist
    7+ Year Member

Not very. If you want to volunteer as an EC, go help out in a free clinic or something.

49. kinetic

Removed

I hate the whole "learn to play the game" and "medicine is a game" thing. It stinks of manipulation and underhandedness. Which I thought was antithetical to what physicians ostensibly believe in. (And, yes, I realize that a lot of physicians don't give two craps about any of this, as long as they get paid.)

50. kinetic

Removed

It's also very telling that the post is titled "how prestigious is Americorps?"

51. woolie

woolie Intermountain West
    7+ Year Member

Well, I know I shouldn't jump in here but I will say that the money you get for working as an AmeriCorps is considered a 'stipend' and not an actual salary. I get just under $11,000 for 1700 hours. I plan to be done in August, making it ten months I served.

People who get food stamps while working in the program ($125 a month here in Utah), get them because the government doesn't consider the $900 a month actual 'income.' When I filled out my financial aid paperwork, my school also deducts the income from my taxes. I don't get the food stamps because I have an IRA worth over $2,000, the cutoff for any assets you can own.

It's definitely not for everyone, and you really have to be dedicated but it's kind of a neat way to 'work' for a year. I don't feel like I'm in a regular job, and yet I work really hard. It really is a nice mixture of job and volunteer work.