r123

10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I was studying for biology, but nothing is getting into my brain! I feeling so frustrated. How are you guys studying for Biology? Are you writing down the stuff that you have memorized or learned in a notebook?
Is there any main thing you are studying?
Is anyone using videos to study for biology? I actually went to yahoo's website and they have videos there on biology topics, all you have to do is search the video section for whatever topic you are looking for. It did help me understand better. If anyone is using some other website to help them, can you PLZ let me know? Thanks

Broccoli

10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
reading EK bio and making flashcards on topics I'm uncomfortable with. listening to audio osmosis. takes so much of my time.

OP
R

r123

10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Broccoli said:
reading EK bio and making flashcards on topics I'm uncomfortable with. listening to audio osmosis. takes so much of my time.
Does audio osmosis have other info in it? and where did you get it from?

About the Ads

dovebar

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Vegas
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Broccoli said:
I agree audio osmosis is great especially for that jump from 6-9. The rest of it you'll have to cram, learn the orgo from some review book, and then practice the orgo. Good luck! I'm studying my TPR book now. Three days into studying and I've completed 4 chapters. I'm estimating 6 days to my first kaplan test. :eek:

Broccoli

10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
r123 said:
Does audio osmosis have other info in it? and where did you get it from?
Every once in a while Audio Osmosis will mention something that wasn't mentioned in the book, but it's not like it's very important info. I would say the books have all the info you need, Audio Osmosis just helps it stick. I got it from Walmart online for ~$120.

tik-tik-clock

CraziiiDesiiKuriii
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2004
Status
dovebar said:
I agree audio osmosis is great especially for that jump from 6-9. The rest of it you'll have to cram, learn the orgo from some review book, and then practice the orgo. Good luck! I'm studying my TPR book now. Three days into studying and I've completed 4 chapters. I'm estimating 6 days to my first kaplan test. :eek:

haha, I have my First Kaplan Test in 6 days too. :scared:

I m trying to really hammer gen chem and physics before then. I m still gonna be rusty on my bio. Ochem is much better than bio...

dovebar

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Vegas
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
tik-tik-clock said:
haha, I have my First Kaplan Test in 6 days too. :scared:

I m trying to really hammer gen chem and physics before then. I m still gonna be rusty on my bio. Ochem is much better than bio...

Good luck! Ochem's what I have to work on A LOT!! :oops:

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
I took the April test and got a 29.

I'm retaking in August.

I am reviewing the Kaplan Comprehensive Review book again I had from before
Listening to Audio Osmosis
Reading Barron's How to Prepare for the MCAT
Possibly go over TPR right before the test for the last two weeks or so.
Reading Kaplan's Strategy books for the three sections.
Flashcards
Do a lot of Kaplan Practice Tests.
Do a few AAMC tests.
Whatever other practice tests I can get my hands on from the internet.

Yes... It's good to have friends who had some of this stuff.

lala83

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2006
Status
Medical Student
dovebar said:

wow it sure makes me feel better to know that at least someone's like me! i'm taking the mcat in august for the first time and just started studying recently too.
there is hope for us yet, right?

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
lala83 said:
wow it sure makes me feel better to know that at least someone's like me! i'm taking the mcat in august for the first time and just started studying recently too.
I studied for less than 3 weeks for the April test. Got a 29. If you are strong in your biology and other prerequisites you'll be fine. Just take the practice tests to understand the format. And review the material that you must know in a comprehensive book.

Of course if you don't want to rely on luck and freaking out before the test from not feeling prepared, you need to get working soon.

dovebar

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Vegas
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
lala83 said:
I'm retaking it lala...but yup I think there's always hope. I hope I'm not working my butt off(not really, :) ) for nothing. :thumbup:

Summer Sweet

Le chéri, c'est la vie
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have trouble studying for bio too, but here's the way I'm looking at it. I know for other science subjects, I'm going to try and re-learn the material and fill in the gaps (because my professors sometimes didn't finish covering everything by the end of the quarter...). So after learning it, it's just like knowing the concept and being able to apply it (like plug formula A into B or something like that?). But for bio, it's like there's no set of given formulas that apply to everything. It seems like info and info and info and info. So I'll probably read the book, and there's some tables highlighted in it so I'll study those. And then hopefully spend some time listening to AO whenever I'm on the go.

I don't see how videos can help study, but I guess try it and see if it works?

n0chi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2005
Status
im the opposite... i hate manipulating forumlas, there always seems to be a math error or logical error that i cant rectify.
however i love bio, and i know that there is only one right answer for sure, and there is no way to make a "calculation" error :)
i guess people are different, how about you take my ps and i take your bio :D

About the Ads