How real is Grey's Anatomy in terms of pressure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RickOlston

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is the pressure in a general surgery residency? You just have to stick to it and become a surgeon after 5 years?

Members don't see this ad.

How is the pressure in a general surgery residency? You just have to stick to it and become a surgeon after 5 years?

Sleep with the higher up residents and especially the attendings. It makes everything much easier.

Is Grey's Anatomy entirely inaccurate? Probably not. But seriously, it's a TV show. I would not base any of your perceptions of surgical training on the show.

Your most accurate information is (obviously) going to come from surgeons, surgical residents, and anyone who actually knows what that experience is like when it isn't being skewed and altered for dramatic effects.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your most accurate information is (obviously) going to come from surgeons, surgical residents, and anyone who actually knows what that experience is like when it isn't being skewed and altered for dramatic effects.

Wait....so there is no Dr. House at Princeton Plainsboro? Guess I am going to have to turn down my acceptance from them, Hogwarts here I come.

I remember the first few seasons of ER (1994-1996) were pretty much more accurate than any other medical drama ive seen.

Edit: One of the best shows to watch as well.

I remember this part especially....
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qVP7EcYHus&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Great speech between ER chief resident Dr. Mark Greene and MS-3 John Carter on Carter's first day of ER rotation.

"Helping them is more important than how we feel"

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I just saw that you guys are residents... so this must have been "the" medical show during your time.

I remember the first few seasons of ER (1994-1996) were pretty much more accurate than any other medical drama ive seen.

Edit: One of the best shows to watch as well.

I remember this part especially....
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qVP7EcYHus&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Great speech between ER chief resident Dr. Mark Greene and MS-3 John Carter on Carter's first day of ER rotation.

"Helping them is more important than how we feel"

I liked ER. It had it's unrealistic moments though. For instance if someone's heart stops, which I felt happened like every other episode they more often than not brought them back when in reality it's like a 5 - 10% chance that would happen.

I liked ER. It had it's unrealistic moments though. For instance if someone's heart stops, which I felt happened like every other episode they more often than not brought them back when in reality it's like a 5 - 10% chance that would happen.

I know... that part was annoying. But I feel like a lot of **** happened to the protagonists... like Benton's son, Carter's drug addiction, and Greene's brain cancer.

The show kinda died after Benton left....

I know... that part was annoying. But I feel like a lot of **** happened to the protagonists... like Benton's son, Carter's drug addiction, and Greene's brain cancer.

The show kinda died after Benton left....

Benton's nephew was the one that got killed. I think Carla took his son (was it his) away? Dr. Green's death was still one of the saddest moments I remember on tv.

Benton's nephew was the one that got killed. I think Carla took his son (was it his) away? Dr. Green's death was still one of the saddest moments I remember on tv.

Oh yeah his newphew and ex girlfriend got killed too... I was talking about his son's hearing.

Greene's death was sad, but the very last scene of ER was amazing when they call Greene's daughter Dr. Greene

Oh yeah his newphew and ex girlfriend got killed too... I was talking about his son's hearing.

Greene's death was sad, but the very last scene of ER was amazing when they call Greene's daughter Dr. Greene

I missed most of the last season. I don't know if she would have become a doctor IRL. she had some drug offenses correct?

I missed most of the last season. I don't know if she would have become a doctor IRL. she had some drug offenses correct?

Yes I think so. But she was underage, im not sure how that would play into it.

ER was awesome. Im pretty sure I could order accurately order blood work with all the right acronyms at age 9. I have all the DVDs... and I think this thread has inspired me to re-watch them all!

Most realistic show, scrubs.....not joking

Yep. They took the time to get it all in, year by year.

Oh_I_See_What_You_Did_There.jpg