How realistic are shows like Trauma?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctors brat

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well as a lowley sophamore under grad interested in eventually going in to Emergency Medicine I was just wondering how realistic shows like Trauma: Life in the Er actually are and if they really do show a little of what goes on every day in an emergency room setting. My Dad is an er attending and he says those shows are a watered down version of some events which happen in an actual er but that shows like Trauma tend to over dramatize what it is really like being an er doc.
I am hoping to do well in under grad and get in to a good medical school although that seems quite a far off prospect as I start my second semester of sophamore year. Once out of med school I intend to become an Emergency Medicine Physician unless I find some other rotation I like more which I doubt.
I was just curious to know whether Trauma: Life in The Er which I watch religiously every Munday night really portray life in the Er? My Dad tells me that they make being an ER doc seem more glamerous than it is in reality and that they don't show the day to day grind of an Er doc's life. I would imagine this to be true, but I just wanted some thoughts! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Knowing that it takes them about a month to film an episode, you can see that they are waiting for the great trauma cases and the occasional heart-warming social cases. Usually those shows will inadvertantly focus on the trauma surgery team taking care of the trauma pt and follow the pt up to surgery and recovery, which is NOT at all what an EM physician does. Your best bet would be to follow your father around, then go to a county facility (if he is not at one) and see what they go through.

We're not lying when we say you see and treat it all in emergency medicine, it just isn't all trauma.

Originally posted by Coleman
. Usually those shows will inadvertantly focus on the trauma surgery team taking care of the trauma pt and follow the pt up to surgery and recovery, which is NOT at all what an EM physician does.

They have to focus on the surgeons, no one would watch what's the worlds most depressing FP clinic in the ER otherwise:D :D

Actually I'm just bitter I ended up on the cutting room floor;)

They did manage to capture on film here (in one of the worst displays of medical judgement ever until today's report of an OBGYN in Lexington carving "UK" into somone's uterus during a hysterectomy http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/breaking_news/5024103.htm) half a dozen of the ER residents displaying their favored techniques for sneaking large amount of alcohol (in IV bags) into the infield of the Kentucky Derby:oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm always amused when I watch this show and see the ER doc coming to visit the patient in the Surgical ICU after surgery. The ER doc is hugging the patient and asking how they are doing, all the while giving the impression that they had a significant role in the patient's outcome.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. I doubt the ED doc played any role in the care of the patient. ;)

Most of those guys are just jealous of the all-knowing, caring surgeons. I wish I could go into general surgery but I know I would have absolutely no chance of matching. Besides, my parents loved me. I'm sure that would disqualify me. :D

That's absolutely hilarious EdinOH! Well said.............

later

Originally posted by edinOH
Yeah, I'm sure you're right. I doubt the ED doc played any role in the care of the patient. ;)

Most of those guys are just jealous of the all-knowing, caring surgeons. I wish I could go into general surgery but I know I would have absolutely no chance of matching. Besides, my parents loved me. I'm sure that would disqualify me. :D

There is a surgeon in Cleveland that I see all the time that I talked to when I was (briefly) considering trauma surgery instead of emergency medicine. He always jokes and says stuff "Couldn't set you on the straight and narrow, now you're going to be a goddamned triage nurse." Then I usually say something like "I didn't see myself sewing up dinguses and playing with **** all day long."

mike