How realistic is it....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD/DO ALMOST

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How realistic is it to think I may land a residency spot as a DO in California? I hear it is primary care and not as competitive as some specialties, but by no means easy. I know that in some cases a certain bias exists. I am accepted to both MD and DO medical schools, and I am more interested in the DO school in Forida than the MD school in WI. I know much will be subjective and depend upon usmle scores, but i am curious to know if there are any attractive alternatives to keep in mind?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are really set on doing residency in California, your best bet is to go to a medical school in California. However, it is certainly not impossible to land a residency spot in CA from out-of-state. Being out of state makes it more difficult, and being a DO will make it even more difficult and unlikely.

Also, emergency medicine is not typically considered to be primary care.

How realistic is it to think I may land a residency spot as a DO in California? I hear it is primary care and not as competitive as some specialties, but by no means easy. I know that in some cases a certain bias exists. I am accepted to both MD and DO medical schools, and I am more interested in the DO school in Forida than the MD school in WI. I know much will be subjective and depend upon usmle scores, but i am curious to know if there are any attractive alternatives to keep in mind?

I would go to the medical school forum and put a post up asking if anybody has an opinion of either of those schools. Feedback on how happy the students are is very helpful. Picking the right school will either help your 4 years go smooth and prepare you well OR frustrate you to no end and make you bitter that you payed them so much for it.