This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FamousLinen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to go into Psych, but will have a lot of loans and would like to work extra early on until they're paid off. You read a lot about Psych working less in part because it's more taxing than other jobs. Do you think a FT+20 hr week PT job is possible and wouldn't be too bad? Also, what sort of combined salary would be an average? Again, just looking at managing my loans, either way I'll go into psych because at worst they'll still get paid off and I will have a decent life.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wanting to go into Psych, but will have a lot of loans and would like to work extra early on until they're paid off. You read a lot about Psych working less in part because it's more taxing than other jobs. Do you think a FT+20 hr week PT job is possible and wouldn't be too bad? Also, what sort of combined salary would be an average? Again, just looking at managing my loans, either way I'll go into psych because at worst they'll still get paid off and I will have a decent life.

Just a resident but I would say based on what I've seen in residency, psych has been the least taxing thing I've done as compared to medicine wards, em, peds....

A lot of psychs do work 55-65 hours. It's not rare at all.....

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The extra hours are spent documenting, and doing other admin non-clinical things. So factor in if you are doing 60 hours of clinical you will be looking at an additional 20hrs of admin time.

The extra hours are spent documenting, and doing other admin non-clinical things. So factor in if you are doing 60 hours of clinical you will be looking at an additional 20hrs of admin time.
I just meant 60 hour work week as in a FT 40 hour job (which I believe is normal for psych) and another PT job on top of it. Thanks.

For many folks, a 40 hour job isn't 40 hours. Some people can keep it at 40, but I posit that most a 40 hour job is on par with 45-55 hours per week when you add all the other stuff that piles up.

For many folks, a 40 hour job isn't 40 hours. Some people can keep it at 40, but I posit that most a 40 hour job is on par with 45-55 hours per week when you add all the other stuff that piles up.
Are you referring to a private practice or all jobs?

All jobs.

some 40 hr a week jobs you can get in and out in 25. It depends on your employer and whether they care about you 'being there' or just that the work gets done.

Obviously if you are covering a hospital for stipend + billings, you don't have any 'hours' anyway. Now you might be part of a group that has the contract and your contract with the group specifies a 40 hr week, but all they care about is that they gethe work they have assigned you done. If you do it faster and their clients(the hospitals they contract with) are happy, they'll be happy...even if you aren't there whole 40 hrs. I probably work 28-30ish hours on my primary 40 hr a week contract with my group. Which allows me to do other work

Reactions: 3 users
You can work as much or as little as you want in psych. Yes there are plenty of docs only doing 40 hours. There are docs also doing 32 hours. There are docs whose admin time is built in to their workweek (academics) so you work 32 clinical hours with 8 hours of admin time built in.

Reactions: 1 user
If it helps: A buddy of mine had got a cushy state job directly after residency with something like 32hrs/week and then covered after hours at a psych hospital on the nights and weekends. Weekend rounds took under 6hrs.

Reactions: 1 users
If it helps: A buddy of mine had got a cushy state job directly after residency with something like 32hrs/week and then covered after hours at a psych hospital on the nights and weekends. Weekend rounds took under 6hrs.
Thanks!

I'm sticking with 40 hrs a week, but it's pretty easy to turn my job into 60 hrs a week -- I can just ask any child attending a simple question. If I want to do 80 hrs a week, I will then ask, "Should I get collateral?"

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Perhaps try looking into non-clinical (i.e. expert witness, etc) or passive income streams. Some of them pay 2-3 times the hourly of clinical income. if you diversify your work, less likely to burn out. I like only having to see patients 3 days a week (and they are not all busy days).

Status
Not open for further replies.