How residency directors would view a research year between MS2 and MS3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n1cgf

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking of taking a year off after MS2 and doing a year of research. I figured that this would allow me to get a year of research in before starting third year so I could continue being somewhat involved throughout MS3/4 (I've heard from residency directors that the length and productivity of research experiences are the most important).

Additionally, this would obviously give me a little more time to study for step 1 (probably will make a solid difference in my score), though I've heard varying accounts as to when one should take it in terms of how it looks to residencies. I'd also have this time to at least read through the first aids for my rotations before starting 3rd year, so that'd give me a leg up then too.

I was wondering if doing this before MS3 rather than MS is viewed in a negative manner by residencies, and if there are any other pros or cons that people think I should be aware of.

Thanks very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.